Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Data Obscurity in Ashes

2»

Comments

• Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited December 2023
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Vyril wrote: »
    Solvryn wrote: »
    How much data does a person think they should be able to see or hide in the case of Ashes? What side of the fence are you on when it comes to obscuring others access to data.

Would you like to be able to hide your Health/Mana from other players?

Would you like to be able to hide the armor you're using from other players?

Would you even like to be able to hide the organizations you're in from other players?

Do you think you should be able to hide what gear sets you're wearing from other players, instead of the icon showing what kind of gear you're wearing?

Would you like an elaborate fog of war system within the game so you cannot tell who is who at a distance?

How do you feel about player inspection systems?

No to all of those. Less data leads to less pvp, not more. You should have some idea at a glance what a fight will be like, so you can make quick decisions. You need information for that.

If players can hide everthing, people will be over cautious about starting a fight. We want conflict to actually happen.

I don’t need much data to win my fights. Not in the last 20 years of PvPing.

Well thats good, but you have to apply it to the playbase at large.

I think you guys are seeing this from the angle of how you would use it to your advantage. That's fine, but it doesn't encourage folks who are not as eager to pvp, to pvp. If anything, lack of information acts as a barrier to entry.

That's not how it works. Even if it did, that same playerbase would always be to scared to PvP anyway.

That's definitely how it works. Think about why they don't want to pvp and erase those barriers.

The more hard core and inaccessible you make it the fewer people you will see fighting.

Edit: At the very least gear type should be made obvious. I don't want to see everyone running around in transmog dresses to cover up their full plate armor.

No, everyone that cares enough to have to look at a players gear likely isn't confident enough in their own gear to engage.

So they're just going to sit out anyway.

You'll actually just scare everyone into their turtle shell.

On the flip side, you'll get more PKs picking on people they see are undergeared.

It's really not a good idea to show the difference in power.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Another interesting question that could be added is if the answer is yes to any of the OP questions; how would you enact that? Would it be a toggle, setting, something to earn, etc? :)

Prompt to allow/deny. With an option to block all requests without notification.
  • Options
    How much data does a person think they should be able to see or hide in the case of Ashes? What side of the fence are you on when it comes to obscuring others access to data.

Would you like to be able to hide your Health/Mana from other players?

Would you like to be able to hide the armor you're using from other players?

Would you even like to be able to hide the organizations you're in from other players?

Do you think you should be able to hide what gear sets you're wearing from other players, instead of the icon showing what kind of gear you're wearing?

Would you like an elaborate fog of war system within the game so you cannot tell who is who at a distance?

How do you feel about player inspection systems?

No to all of those. Less data leads to less pvp, not more. You should have some idea at a glance what a fight will be like, so you can make quick decisions. You need information for that.

If players can hide everthing, people will be over cautious about starting a fight. We want conflict to actually happen.

I don’t need much data to win my fights. Not in the last 20 years of PvPing.

Well thats good, but you have to apply it to the playbase at large.

I think you guys are seeing this from the angle of how you would use it to your advantage. That's fine, but it doesn't encourage folks who are not as eager to pvp, to pvp. If anything, lack of information acts as a barrier to entry.

That's not how it works. Even if it did, that same playerbase would always be to scared to PvP anyway.

That's definitely how it works. Think about why they don't want to pvp and erase those barriers.

The more hard core and inaccessible you make it the fewer people you will see fighting.

Edit: At the very least gear type should be made obvious. I don't want to see everyone running around in transmog dresses to cover up their full plate armor.

No, everyone that cares enough to have to look at a players gear likely isn't confident enough in their own gear to engage.

So they're just going to sit out anyway.

You'll actually just scare everyone into their turtle shell.

On the flip side, you'll get more PKs picking on people they see are undergeared.

It's really not a good idea to show the difference in power.

i agree with this. also, we will have elemental enchants in ashes and other things. people inspecting you from afar before engaging could just equip gear made to specifically counter whatever you are wearing, things that shouldnt be seen, removing lots of the risk of pvping someone.
  • Options
    "Another interesting question that could be added is if the answer is yes to any of the OP questions; how would you enact that? Would it be a toggle, setting, something to earn, etc? :) "

For full inspection I would have in the options:
    1. auto-reject
    2. request only
    3. public

To enhance concealment, I'd introduce elements such as masks, capes, and robes, along with a bounty hunter skill and spells for other classes. Players would have the flexibility to customize their characters, the trade-off for increased concealment is using another gear or have decreased run speed in case of spells or abilities.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Make us think, don't spoon-feed us.

I'd like to blow this up a thousand times. People who want easy PvP love being spoon-fed data.

Are we here to have fun playing a video game or are we here trying to prove something?

Are you the one playing it if the game's doing everything for you?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Another interesting question that could be added is if the answer is yes to any of the OP questions; how would you enact that? Would it be a toggle, setting, something to earn, etc? :)

Inspection Toggle on character creation?

Toggled on, you can inspect and be inspected.
    Toggled off, you can not inspect nor be inspected.

?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/