Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Request for Inclusion of Wheelchair Representation in Ashes of Creation

Mr_B_ShelbyMr_B_Shelby Member
edited December 2023 in Community Creations
Dear Ashes of Creation development team,

My name is Leonardo, and I'm excited about the opportunity to follow the game's development from the beginning, thanks to the incredible efforts of Mr. Steven Sharif. I'm a passionate gamer, especially MMORPGs, and I'm looking forward to diving into the world of Ashes of Creation.

As a gamer and member of the gaming community with disabilities (PwD), I would like to suggest an innovative addition that could make Ashes of Creation a trailblazer in terms of inclusion and representation. The proposal is to introduce the option of wheelchairs for characters in the game.

I understand this is a unique and perhaps unprecedented suggestion, but I believe that allowing players to choose to have characters in wheelchairs would significantly contribute to diversity and inclusion within the virtual world of Ashes of Creation. Furthermore, it would be an opportunity for players to experience a more authentic and reflective gaming experience.

I'm aware of the technical and artistic challenges involved, but I'm optimistic that the talented team behind Ashes of Creation can find innovative ways to implement this idea.

Thank you in advance for considering this proposal and for continuing to create an inclusive gaming environment for all players.

Yours sincerely,
Leonardo

Comments

• Options
    CinyxCinyx Member
    edited December 2023
    Hello Ashes of Creation community,

My name is Cinyx, and I'm thrilled to be a part of this incredible community that shares a love for MMORPGs. I want to express my full support for the recent proposal from our fellow member Leonardo regarding the inclusion of wheelchairs in the game.

I believe the suggestion is truly innovative and represents a step forward towards inclusivity and representation in the gaming world. Being able to choose characters in wheelchairs not only reflects the diversity of the real world but also provides a more authentic and enriching gaming experience.

I understand the technical and artistic challenges involved, but I have confidence in the ability of the talented Ashes of Creation team to overcome them. Initiatives like this not only make the game more inclusive but also set a standard for the gaming industry as a whole.

Let's continue to support innovative ideas that make Ashes of Creation a true pioneer in the MMORPG universe! Share your thoughts and experiences, and let's build an even more diverse and welcoming community together.

I count on everyone's support!

Best regards,
    Cinyx
  • Options
    To my understanding, the world of Verra will pretty much function in RP as it does to we players: If you die, you respawn - quite literally - whole-bodied. While contrary to traditional game-lore and game-settings, our in-game characters will not know *true* death, as they would on Sanctus - even in RP.

If I'm correct, that would mean you could travel to Verra from Sanctus as paralyzed from the waist-down, die a death, then be respawned with full-body function.

Am I wrong?

Also, how would this work, in combat? Or do you just want NPCs in medieval-style wheelchairs?

• Options
    I fully support more inclusivity... A medieval-style wheelchair as a (walking speed) mount and/or a mechanic saddle replacing ordinary saddle similar to Bran's in Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    interesting post, I don't see how could this apply to playable characters due to lore/gameplay mechanics, however, using the above example of Bran from game of thrones, there could be applicability for example with important narrative NPCs representing this

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    TricksterTrickster Member
    edited December 2023
    I might sound like a jerk, but I'll be honest.. I can't see that working at all, whether it's in PVP or PVE. It would totally look out of place. Well, surely there could be a wheelchair 'MOUNT,' but obviously, for the character to PVP or engage in other activities like swimming, the character should have to dismount the wheelchair... Even tho would look very out of place in my opinion, I'm sorry
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Magic powered wheel chair in high fantasy medieval combat for inclusivity?

I say magical because you're going to be needing something to control it as your arms would be used for combat and weapons? and if it was a beast or something it would fastened to it which would essentially just be a lesser version of a mount.

Seems weird to me. No offense of course. :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Further Brainstorming!

Maybe we can get crutches and choose to attack with our feet?

Probably see a whole bunch of amputee options in the creator menu following this request too.

Then gender identity requests because the LGBTQ community will feel less inclusive.

Could add speech disorders for inclusion too such as stutters.

Maybe ticks for Tourette's?

Obesity options in the character creator?

Racial Identity inclusion? play as elf who identifies as a dwarf?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Hmm on another perspective view though,

Maybe Verra is a world full of magic where these issues don't exist because magic is used to prevent and cure those real world issues as their civilisations ideologies don't have to reflect our real world as it is a high fantasy video game that takes place in a made up universe.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would type here for them to add blind support, but they wouldn't see it.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    I would type here for them to add blind support, but they wouldn't see it.

lol. Puns aside. I recall something a year or so ago when a blind person played through a dungeon in WoW. Think it was live on twitch tv.
  • Options
    AnimusRexAnimusRex Member
    edited December 2023
    I don't think fantasy based game makers should be asked to address real world inclusivity issues in game.

You're not being excluded from playing the game. I'll be sitting in a chair as well and you can play any character that I, and everyone else can. If Intrepid were doing something to somehow exclude you from participation, then an appeal would make sense. But they're not.

They may not be representing you exactly, or me. They shouldn't be trying to. They are creating Verra, not recreating Terra in the image desired by 6 billion people.

I definitely support you being more included and represented in the REAL world. I believe those issues are far more relevant.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    All of the above, not to be against inclusivity, but even the furthest stretch in a magical-induced disability where even rebirth isn't enough to heal the affliction it wouldn't feel appropriate enough to be a good representation of RL disability. It would also pressure on people who don't want to see their disabilities every day and try to flee from their reality, not that this is the most healthy path but this goes both ways.
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png