Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Arachnophobia and Ashes

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    I am all for improvements for people with actual disabilities. But a phobia is not a disability, but a disorder.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    Kilion wrote: »
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Claustrophobia is not triggered by tight spaces in videos games. I know I suffer from claustrophobia and so do I few my other friends. The feeling of walls pressing in is just not there. Strangely that does happen in VR.

Same with the fear of heights. You just get that sensation in a video game unless you're in VR. That phobia can be triggered in VR.

Many of the phobias don't fully tigger in video games but arachnophobia is 100% triggered and as mentioned above Ashes has done a bang up job of getting spiders just too realistic. I have never seen an MMO pull that off this well as I posted in my OP.

People have pointed out that these other things don't apply - fair enough then let's go through the rest of the list. Can you comment on canines and snakes as well?

This reaction was predictable, but helpful. I really hope that Intrepid takes note of it.

When your point ends up being supported by 'finding other people who suffer similarly and therefore would also need to be helped', at least one of two things is happening. Either you just don't want to change your stance and view 'everyone suffering equally' as the optimal state, or you've recognized your stance is changing but aren't good at communicating it.

There's a viable 'inbetween' ofc, and it's possible for both to happen at once.

I'm perfectly willing to comment on canines and snakes, actually, but before that, since that is subjective and brings in a lot of research papers, consider if you really need me to, or if you're in the state above. Would me going 'oh, no, you're right, (we shouldn't do anything for arachnophobes, they should have to suck it up, because) people who fear dogs or snakes didn't get any changes and it's not fair', be a positive outcome here for you in terms of 'discussion'?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    they could probably just add a way to replace every single mob skin by something that no one fears lol. like all or nothing lmao.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Claustrophobia is not triggered by tight spaces in videos games. I know I suffer from claustrophobia and so do I few my other friends. The feeling of walls pressing in is just not there. Strangely that does happen in VR.

Same with the fear of heights. You just get that sensation in a video game unless you're in VR. That phobia can be triggered in VR.

Many of the phobias don't fully tigger in video games but arachnophobia is 100% triggered and as mentioned above Ashes has done a bang up job of getting spiders just too realistic. I have never seen an MMO pull that off this well as I posted in my OP.

People have pointed out that these other things don't apply - fair enough then let's go through the rest of the list. Can you comment on canines and snakes as well?

No... My explanation stands from the op and I'm not going to nitpick on it. If you don't understand that's okay.
  • Options
    This is completely absurd.
  • Options
    SerithisSerithis Member
    edited December 2023
    Depraved wrote: »
    Serithis wrote: »
    This is not the first time it has been mentioned. Give the forums a search and you will find larger threads that discuss that issue. So far as I remember, there are no plans to cater to any group based on their specific fears.

Don't worry, he's very well aware it's not the first. after all, he never came up with this idea himself. Just repeating what's popular because it makes him feel like he fits in somewhere

hey don't be mean!

well u can be, freedom of speech and all that, but you don't know if he is saying that because of the reasons you listed

A bit of a reductive a way of looking at it. You must lack scope on the overall sentiment of people beginning to throw these thoughtless bandwagons a bone, and its consequence.

His mention of other games adding this feature, shows that was the inspiration of his entire thought for making the post to another game, acting as a nudging way of saying "you guys should also be obliged to hop on the bandwagon if everyone else is doing it!!" with a sad sort of appeal to popularity, Like it should be regarded as important that we need to be in on memey movements people bandwagon for whatever reason. what's funny to me, is I didn't even read that part of the post til later as I already knew it was coming from that place.

but anyway, I don't really believe most arachnophobes, lot of them are people who are scared of spiders but play it up for attention. that simple. that's why it's such a popular relationship meme cause it makes dudes feel special. perhaps why he might highlight himself as "as a man who plays with my wife"

my views are regardless of whether or not his wife is actually an arachnophobe. I'm not for the whole acting as a mouthpiece promoting what we all know is the "cool popular opinion" for that echo chamber approval

Reason it's been been a meme because people like making themselves look vulnerable for attention, feel quirky, or some similar motivation. So anyway that's my rant. call it mean all you want
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I love that the people demanding a special mode for arachnophobia keeps saying that everyone else just doesn't understand (including the people with the same phobia!). No matter how much evidence is given, they are closed.
    Instead of just bashing people who are offering logical arguments, try to expand your mind.

Even the people who have arachnophobia (myself included) have said that exposure therapy (including just playing games with spiders in them) works.
    The first time I saw these realistically detailed spiders in A1, I just ran away. After a while, I deliberately went back to that area and stayed there. Actually looked at them. Some time later, while I still wasn't completely comfortable with them, I was able to fight them and go through areas of them. In A2, I hope to work on it some more.

The biggest issue I have about going with a mode like this is that the developers have to waste time redoing work that has already been done. They would have to create new models and new animations (at least) just for the people who will not try to improve themselves.

And I will chime in with many others and ask why would Intrepid only deal with spiders and/or where does the line get drawn. As already pointed out, there are many other phobias that have a large percentage of people affected. This is a prime example of scope creep for a minimal return.
  • Options
    Games typically use spider type mobs as a way of scaring the player or setting the mood as a "this is a scary / spooky / abandoned place."
    Asking games to change spiders mobs just so someone can play is like someone asking "Hey i wanna go see this R rated slasher gore movie... but i'm scared of blood so... can you just take out the blood?"
    Sorry to say but maybe this content just isn't for you. As others have said people have learned to deal with their phobias, some have learned to work around them, others learn to stay away from compromising situations.
  • Options
    This is not the first time it has been mentioned. Give the forums a search and you will find larger threads that discuss that issue. So far as I remember, there are no plans to cater to any group based on their specific fears.

Don't worry, he's very well aware it's not the first. after all, he never came up with this idea himself. Just repeating what's popular because it makes him feel like he fits in somewhere

hey don't be mean!

well u can be, freedom of speech and all that, but you don't know if he is saying that because of the reasons you listed

A bit of a reductive a way of looking at it. You must lack scope on the overall sentiment of people beginning to throw these thoughtless bandwagons a bone, and its consequence.

His mention of other games adding this feature, shows that was the inspiration of his entire thought for making the post to another game, acting as a nudging way of saying "you guys should also be obliged to hop on the bandwagon if everyone else is doing it!!" with a sad sort of appeal to popularity, Like it should be regarded as important that we need to be in on memey movements people bandwagon for whatever reason. what's funny to me, is I didn't even read that part of the post til later as I already knew it was coming from that place.

but anyway, I don't really believe most arachnophobes, lot of them are people who are scared of spiders but play it up for attention. that simple. that's why it's such a popular relationship meme cause it makes dudes feel special. perhaps why he might highlight himself as "as a man who plays with my wife"

my views are regardless of whether or not his wife is actually an arachnophobe. I'm not for the whole acting as a mouthpiece promoting what we all know is the "cool popular opinion" for that echo chamber approval

Reason it's been been a meme because people like making themselves look vulnerable for attention, feel quirky, or some similar motivation. So anyway that's my rant. call it mean all you want

i didnt see it as a bandwagon thing. he was just giving an example of how it can be done and basically saying "if other games did it, its because its possible and probably not too hard"
  • Options
    Lets get a game first, if the out cry is that big it will be known and the devs might do something about it if it truly is a issue.

People trying to mention people aren't trying to answer and using other phobias to deflect is pretty silly.

Also using grounded as an example is also silly imo with the limited amount of mobs and how the game is designed. If AoC main creatures were spiders and that is what you encountered 24/7 as main content. Than you could say they are similar and people are faced to deal with them more often.
  • Options
    phobias are for the weak in general, but having a phobia of the pixels that make up the image of the thing you're scared of is too far.
    Dont encourage weakness, please no phobia version of spiders or anyhting.
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    I'm perfectly willing to comment on canines and snakes, actually, but before that, since that is subjective and brings in a lot of research papers, consider if you really need me to, or if you're in the state above. Would me going 'oh, no, you're right, (we shouldn't do anything for arachnophobes, they should have to suck it up, because) people who fear dogs or snakes didn't get any changes and it's not fair', be a positive outcome here for you in terms of 'discussion'?

@Azherae I'm trying to understand whether people who make requests on the forum are doing so because they want to contribute something to the general discussion of what aspects of game design might be highly beneficial for the end product or whether they are asking for special treatment based on their personal wants only. The goal for me is to discuss the development process and how the resources of Intrepid are best allocated during it.

In this case the topic of modifying the development process has been "phobias" so I thought we could take this chance to discuss the whole range of phobias, whether to adjust for them, how to adjust and for which particular phobias to adjust. Which is why I didn't try to stick to the aerophobia and acrophobia - I received answers to those points. But with points still on the list I want to hear more about this, which is why I asked again.

No... My explanation stands from the op and I'm not going to nitpick on it. If you don't understand that's okay.

@nanfoodle Indeed, I don't understand what in your orginal post adressed your stance on adressing (or not adressing) other phobias like that of canines and snakes. Unless you are referring to the comment you made further down on page 1 where you said that the reason these other ones are of no concern because you think they aren't triggered in videos games?
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited December 2023
    I am all for improvements for people with actual disabilities. But a phobia is not a disability, but a disorder.

That's the truth!

I wonder where we draw the line, because people feel DISCONFORT around spiders, there's barely no one who have actual phobia. People are simply confortable in lying about needing special needs because they feel cool, special, different and they enjoy the attention and care comming from others

3-6% of the population feel disconfort round certain animals and people, other people feel around cockroachers, other people with lizards, frogs, and even cats and birds, and many other things and creatures

Where do we draw the line then?
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    I see this thread has legs.

Big long hairy legs just like a spi...

Oops, sorry!
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

That's the truth!

I wonder where we draw the line, because people feel DISCONFORT around spiders, there's barely no one who have actual phobia. People are simply confortable in lying about needing special needs because they feel cool, special, different and they enjoy the attention and care comming from others

3-6% of the population feel disconfort round certain animals and people, other people feel around cockroachers, other people with lizards, frogs, and even cats and birds, and many other things and creatures

Where it has the biggest impact. It's 15% that suffer from Arachnophobia and its mostly women. So could be as much as 25%+ women that suffer from this. For people who have phobias, Spiders hold one of the highest % of the population that would have an impact in a vidoe games. As things like fear of hights is not normally triggered on a screen.

Frogs go mostly unnoticed :) Dogs get close with about 8% but spiders are still more then dubble. As far as Ashes go. Spiders seem to be in allot of videos. So again, where to help? Where is has the biggest impact.
  • Options

That's the truth!

Where it has the biggest impact. It's 15% that suffer from Arachnophobia and its mostly women. So could be as much as 25%+ women that suffer from this. For people who have phobias, Spiders hold one of the highest % of the population that would have an impact in a vidoe games. As things like fear of hights is not normally triggered on a screen.

Frogs go mostly unnoticed :) Dogs get close with about 8% but spiders are still more then dubble. As far as Ashes go. Spiders seem to be in allot of videos. So again, where to help? Where is has the biggest impact.

Feel like you are really trying to exaggerate the numbers and not answering the post directed at you. Double of a small number means they both are small. It also doesn't mean yours is more important than someone else.
  • Options
    @Azherae I'm trying to understand whether people who make requests on the forum are doing so because they want to contribute something to the general discussion of what aspects of game design might be highly beneficial for the end product or whether they are asking for special treatment based on their personal wants only. The goal for me is to discuss the development process and how the resources of Intrepid are best allocated during it.

I mostly want to figure out how much energy I would have to put into this to have any real impact, even on just you. So I'll try the low effort version first. Forgive me if you feel this isn't sufficient reasoning or proof, but as you know, I'm disincentivized from continuing since one still easily gets responses like:
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Feel like you are really trying to exaggerate the numbers and not answering the post directed at you. Double of a small number means they both are small. It also doesn't mean yours is more important than someone else.

(I know it's pointless to bring this up, but this number if it were EXACTLY correct would mean that Ashes contained more Arachnophobes than Tanks)

So, back to Kilion. Again, note that this is the low effort that I 'expect Intrepid already knows'.

The process by which fear of dogs is triggered is much more auditory than visual. They absolutely can do something for people with fear of dogs, many games just do it and don't say anything. The specific sounds one has the dogs make, and the timing of the sounds, contributes much more than the appearance of the canids, for a much larger number of people.

This is very similar to the fact that the process which triggers the fear of spiders is often related to the movements of their legs, and by simply removing the legs, the problem is resolved for many players. Hence the 'blob' approach or the various hilarious ones. It's technically the same 'tier' of solution.

The process by which fear of snakes is triggered is more complicated, but it is generally 'sufficiently less visual' that the percentage of people for whom you have to do something about the reptile visually is much much smaller. And many games still simply don't add them, or it's clear from the beginning because the game will obviously contain quite a few of them based on its genre.

Others reserve snakes for boss mobs, often optional ones, make 'Lamia' type mobs for the same effect (I have no data on how this affect Herpetophobia sufferers, actually, but I know it's related) or just utilize them differently in their design spaces. A counter-example (where it is done in what might be a bad way) would be the Moonlight Desert in TL, where there are constantly snakes wriggling literally out of the sand randomly as you move around, and the area is difficult to traverse while avoiding them.

• Options

That's the truth!

The numbers are taken from Google. I just stating what's on the internet.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited December 2023

That's the truth!

You aren't getting the point... We can both argue bias view points.
  • Options
    Your words "Feel like you are really trying to exaggerate the numbers" I responded to a point you made. As not responding to everyone asking question. I find some here to like to provoke negitve comments over having a real discussion. I just ignore people like that. As a backer, my comments are more directed to the developers. They can do what they want with my feedback.
  • Options

That's the truth!

You aren't getting the point... We can both argue bias view points.

Is this your 'I don't believe stuff people post unless I have experienced it personally' reaction or your 'I don't believe in statistics' reaction?

You know I don't actually wanna engage with you, but now you're at 'biased viewpoints' which... what?

• Options

That's the truth!

nothing to worry about, there are no women on the internet! also women wont play ashes :D
  • Options

That's the truth!

nothing to worry about, there are no women on the internet! also women wont play ashes :D

They'll play because IS will advertise the family system with summoning husband home :tongue:
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »

That's the truth!

They'll play because IS will advertise the family system with summoning husband home :tongue:

hahhahahha. damn, we cant even go out with the boys in ashes! the wives will be summoning us ugh ><
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

3iyhu2ugoies.png

m36t698yhbcu.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    catibriecatibrie Member, Founder, Kickstarter

That's the truth!

😜
  • Options
    I'm an arachnophobe myself (male IRL) and can say; It has gotten better over the decades.
    Still I'm getting creeped out when seeing very realistical spiders.
    And yeah these ice-spiders in the last footage reveal where such things.
    Would appreciate it when I could turn them into "boring generic bears" or something else.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    Your words "Feel like you are really trying to exaggerate the numbers" I responded to a point you made. As not responding to everyone asking question. I find some here to like to provoke negitve comments over having a real discussion. I just ignore people like that. As a backer, my comments are more directed to the developers. They can do what they want with my feedback.

I don't want a whole discussion on me explaining it, world wide percent does not equal percent of people playing the game, that can play the game or are interested in the game, are so fearful they feel they have to avoid the game all together.

Which could leads to faaaaaaar below 1% of people based on that. Like in the .01% amount.

Also if we are going off google it is 3-15% you are trying to go with 15%. That 3-15% also doesn't mean again those people won't play the game there are different levels people fear and such. That does not = all those people won't play and also again does not equal the entire world population is interested in games let alone AoC.

Again exaggeration.

Ontop of it you deflect other phobia because this one has more because you have a bias view point where it has more of an effect on you, as well deflect other people have the phobia themselves and their own comments because it does not match what you are trying to push.

Again more than i wanted to write on this. Let the game be made, is there is actually an insane outcry than it could be something that is done. Or speak with your money and avoid the game if the spiders are that bad and they won't support your desire. Enough people and it will do something if they lose money.

• Options
    Hinotori wrote: »

3iyhu2ugoies.png

m36t698yhbcu.jpg

e-girls are men >:
    ive been catfished so much lmao
  • Options
    Dripyula wrote: »
    I'm an arachnophobe myself (male IRL) and can say; It has gotten better over the decades.
    Still I'm getting creeped out when seeing very realistical spiders.
    And yeah these ice-spiders in the last footage reveal where such things.
    Would appreciate it when I could turn them into "boring generic bears" or something else.

i thought u were a girl lol..wait no, there are no girls on the internet. this confirms it!