Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Rise And Fall of MMOS.

GlobalWarminGlobalWarmin Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
1.Price point to value of game
2.Depth of characters and activities in game
3.Continued progression upgrades announced and planned "follow-through"
4.Game depth, economy, social structures "mail", Group encounters.
5.Nearing max or end of game, experienced all there is. Is the game re playable?
6.Game updates, Server maintenance "will it sustain players?"
7.Bot accounts, new player experiences the same as day 1 players. In game economy

What would you add to this list or remove and why?

Comments

• Options
    trend chasers
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thread moved from Support to General Discussion.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    How do MMOs rise?
    Do we expect to see player population grow gradually?
    If yes, advertising and hyping should be avoided.
    For AoC that is not possible anymore. Youtubers already talk about it.

The 2nd part of the question I would rather reformulate it as

How MMOs can (or theoretically could) retain a large population base 20 years long?
  • Options
    Payment model or change in payment model.

(Such as when BDO moved to heavy P2W payment structure.)
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Communication and community support from the company.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Nerfing builds over balancing builds.
  • Options
    nanfoodle wrote: »

Few ways to look at this.

Hypothetically if combat is on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest output...

If the goal is to keep the average damage class output around 3/5 and a certain class is 4/5.. you would want to tune it down to a 3/5. Not bring bring everyone other class up to a 4/5. Some people would consider tuning down a 4/5 to 3/5 nerfing it which is a bad term to use in my opinion.

Some games do rotational meta's where a few builds will be 4/5 but they'll also want to keep the progressive climb because some gamers get nerd boners when they see big numbers. that then leads them to making them all 4/5 but eventually changing the scale ratio until they have to stat squish. Eventually it would be a 3/5, 4/5, 4/6, 5/7.

But I get what you mean :smile:
  • Options

Hypothetically if combat is on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest output...

If the goal is to keep the average damage class output around 3/5 and a certain class is 4/5.. you would want to tune it down to a 3/5. Not bring bring everyone other class up to a 4/5. Some people would consider tuning down a 4/5 to 3/5 nerfing it which is a bad term to use in my opinion.

Some games do rotational meta's where a few builds will be 4/5 but they'll also want to keep the progressive climb because some gamers get nerd boners when they see big numbers. that then leads them to making them all 4/5 but eventually changing the scale ratio until they have to stat squish. Eventually it would be a 3/5, 4/5, 4/6, 5/7.

Balance is more then DPS and how it scales :) like in WoW a Mage damage can be a 10/5 but for a min or so. Mana dumping was awesome when things got hairy but when the mana was gone, Mages DPS was reduced to their wand attacks.

What I mean is when developers knee jurk nerf a class without looking at the big picture first. Take a moment and ask questions like.

Can we have other classes have a counter to what's OP build by adjusting their skills, armor sets or other means?

Sometimes the answer is to adjust the OP build in some way but don't make that the only move in the deck.
  • Options

Balance is more then DPS and how it scales :) like in WoW a Mage damage can be a 10/5 but for a min or so. Mana dumping was awesome when things got hairy but when the mana was gone, Mages DPS was reduced to their wand attacks.

What I mean is when developers knee jurk nerf a class without looking at the big picture first. Take a moment and ask questions like.

Can we have other classes have a counter to what's OP build by adjusting their skills, armor sets or other means?

Sometimes the answer is to adjust the OP build in some way but don't make that the only move in the deck.

I just kept it simple. WoW's burst dependence is an awful design choice for a game around rotational meta's. I could go much further into depth.
  • Options
    Game breaking bugs, exploits and cheats/hacks. And not enough dev resources to get them fixed quick and ban abusing accounts.
  • Options
    Not having enough tools to deal with bots/gold sellers
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    PTW and gold sellers, RMT. Every time those have become significant enough to influence game play, I left the game.