Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

About Ranger balancing

DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
People were emotionally reacting to Rangers during the latest live stream and the tears were wonderful. I didn't see anything crazy going on damage wise and we have no idea what gear is like or what they were wearing. Despite this, people were complaining that rangers were not balanced. In other words they saw a person holding a bow or casting a spell and hitting someone from distance and didn't like it. There is literally no context, so you can see that range classes instantly generate an emotional response.

Pretty basic. If you have more ability to lock me down than I have to get away, then I need to be doing more damage than you. If you are able to restore your HP giving you exponentially more effective HP than me, I need to be doing more damage than you.

People will always say range classes are not balanced. When devs listen and constantly nerf them into the ground, you get crappy range classes, which is what we see in most mmos that focus around pvp.

Now range classes can, and do, often require care when balancing and need to be changed as metas change. I'm not saying they don't.

What I'm saying is: While range classes can be statistically balanced, they can never be emotionally balanced. The latest dev stream was proof.

Comments

• Options
    No real need to worry about balance in terms of numbers.

We've all seen people lose their shit when their favourite class gets a "nerf" and the doomer's say it's not playable anymore.
    It was just a demonstration of the abilities and functionality of the archetype. Not saying balance isn't important but that will come with player feedback throughout alpha 2 and balanced/tuned with beta phases.

We havn't seen how all the augments affect it either and how it directly compares against every other archetype in group play as 1v1 balancing isn't the goal.
  • Options
    no one was in tears, people were memeing.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yeah, claiming that rangers are overpowered has been a meme for over 20 years.

It literally started in the 90's.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited December 2023
    Steven literally said during the Stream that balance passes will happen in Beta.

(Enigmatic Sage is correct …)
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    In relation to true development stages, beta is when the balancing, fine tuning and polishing generally occurs.
    It's not just an "intrepid" thing.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

Hope that's the case, and I know many of them were, but I always worry about devs listening to it. It's a meme until it's not, and then the class isn't fun anymore.

I can always just go back to healing and tanking but it would be nice to not have to lol.
  • Options
    Diamaht wrote: »

Hope that's the case, and I know many of them were, but I always worry about devs listening to it. It's a meme until it's not, and then the class isn't fun anymore.

I can always just go back to healing and tanking but it would be nice to not have to lol.

Your comments comes across you thinking things are good, nothing int he game is balanced everything will be getting changed. If you saw the ranger showcase and felt that was good you are getting attached when they said on the stream this is not about numbers. They are fully aware things aren't going to be balanced right now, so you should take that at face value of things being broken (power wise) or under preforming.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Diamaht wrote: »

Your comments comes across you thinking things are good, nothing int he game is balanced everything will be getting changed. If you saw the ranger showcase and felt that was good you are getting attached when they said on the stream this is not about numbers. They are fully aware things aren't going to be balanced right now, so you should take that at face value of things being broken (power wise) or under preforming.

So you were not memeing then, just "joking" while banking on the future