Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tanks/Guardian Dual shield? Other armor wielding weapons?

DvinDvin Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
In most MMOs, we're so used to tanks using a shield in their off-hand and a weapon in their main hand. To set Ashes of Creation apart, I suggest creating a class like the "guardian" that sacrifices more damage or debuffs to being a shield-wielding tank. This class could wield two shields—one as a primary tank skill and another from a secondary tank archetype. In games like Dark Souls, both the player and the enemies can dual-wield shields, but players rarely have this option in an MMO game. It would be interesting for the tankier classes in Ashes of Creation to explore this possibility. Even if it would be limited to a specific class being given this trait, I would love to see it happen.

The challenge with tanks playing solo in the open world is their potentially low damage output. If you were to double spec as a tank and offer up a weapon that deals attack damage, we could counter it so that the damage output could come from a portion of the tank's shield armor(!ofc at a appropriate rate so we don't get high dps/tank!). This way, their solo experience becomes more viable and engaging. And you can reach out to the number of people that would love to feel like a badass walking around with two shields (I've always wanted this in a game).

I would also like to know if there would be any other options than shields for the tanks. Maybe some smaller magical pillars that a boss had been chained up to could become a type of protective weapon for the player to use or maybe some chains that keep grabbing the monsters/players' attention? Let me know what you think!

Comments

• Options
    I believe they have said they did not want double shield builds but I could be mistaken.

Your secondary archetype choice will open up augment school options for your primary archetype abilities.

Every archetype can essentially use/wear anything but it may not be proficient depending on your class choice. (archetype + archetype = class).
  • Options
    omg not another double shield thread again =_=