Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mayoral siege speeches

VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
Alright... this idea will definitely cause shenanigans.... however if you plan to integrate in game voice chat....

please before a node siege begins.... allow the defending Mayor to give a speech, put everyone on the defense in the node courtyard together, allow everyone the option to turn on voice chat, auto mute everyone except the mayor and give him 5 minutes to give the best speech of their life.

Make the speech optional so just have a pop up on the mayors screen that allows them to accept or decline it, then if they accept it give a pop up for all defending players to choose to participate in the speech, if they accept they are put in the courtyard and the speech commences and can last for up to 5 minutes. Put a warning in the defenders pop up message that the speech may not be appropriate or whatever you need to satisfy TOS and boom you have something that will make stories for ages.

This kind of mechanic that would be awesome IMO
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    All citizens are defenders so TPing them all to the node would be not only potentially abusable (though barely) but also disruptive to their gameplay, if they weren't planning to go defend the node.

I think it'd be fine to have a ventrilo-like "allchat" where the mayor can shout to everyone within the node's city limits. Though that should be opt-outable as well.
  • Options
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    This kind of mechanic that would be awesome IMO
    Thoughts?

I just generated this online :)
    I never used a voice generator but could be fun to make it sound like a famous actor.

Defenders of the castle, hear me! You stand at the precipice of history, with the fate of your kingdom hanging in the balance. The enemy is at our gates, and they seek to destroy everything we hold dear. But we will not let them! We will fight with every ounce of strength we have, and we will emerge victorious!

Remember why you are here. You are not just defending a castle, you are defending your homes, your families, and your way of life. You are fighting for the very survival of our kingdom, and we cannot afford to lose.

The enemy may be strong, but we are stronger. They may have more soldiers, but we have more heart. They may have more weapons, but we have more courage. And we will use that courage to drive them back, to push them out of our lands, and to secure our future.

So I ask you, defenders of the castle, are you ready to fight? Are you ready to stand up to the enemy and show them what we are made of? Are you ready to defend our kingdom with everything you have?

Then let us go forth and do battle! Let us show the enemy what it means to face the might of our kingdom! Let us emerge victorious, and let us secure our place in history as the greatest defenders this land has ever known!

Good luck, and Godspeed!
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    All citizens are defenders so TPing them all to the node would be not only potentially abusable (though barely) but also disruptive to their gameplay, if they weren't planning to go defend the node.

I think it'd be fine to have a ventrilo-like "allchat" where the mayor can shout to everyone within the node's city limits. Though that should be opt-outable as well.

Sorry I was assuming in my head it was just the defenders inside of the actual node so the abuse factor wouldn’t exist. Additionally the player has the option to decline so it wouldn’t really matter in terms of disruption, if they are doing something they deem more important they’ll just decline.

Only addition is I’d give a 5 minute warning for the speech so players have the ability to finish what they are doing so they aren’t disrupted!

• Options
    @Raven016 exactly! You get a moment to hype the crowd up, you can have fun with an impromptu speech or an ai one or anything in between.
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    @Raven016 exactly! You get a moment to hype the crowd up, you can have fun with an impromptu speech or an ai one or anything in between.

Epic Ai speech lmao
  • Options
    This would just be done in discord.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »

There is something to be said for it being an in game mechanic.

Plus in terms of a node siege, it will likely consist of 15+ clans not 1 or 2
  • Options
    This goes into the RP realm and shouldn't be a mechanic of the game, but if the artificial voice tech is ready for more realistic stuff I'm on board with that.
    Maybe you could feed an in-game AI with your voice and let you play the sound queues when you reach certain points and milestones in battle.
    So for the rousing speech before the battle, you could opt for some detailed choices on how the tone and wording should be, and boom you got some awesome moments in sieges and wars. :)
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png
  • Options

There is something to be said for it being an in game mechanic.

Plus in terms of a node siege, it will likely consist of 15+ clans not 1 or 2

Ya and there is going to be server discord and alliance discords i ran one of them. I don't see any point in that feature spending time n development for that since guilds can already do that. Not that many even do that to begin with.

I don't see a reason for excessive bloat of random mechanics that don't make a big difference or are readily available for players on discord already. That is exactly how you get star citizen spending limited resources on things like this with the handful of people with the skill set they have that are making / programming things.
  • Options

We are to have in-game voice chat, supported by the game, itself. It was a *great* feature, the last few years of (live)SWG. Really did more to bring the guild together than any other in-game feature yours truly has seen, since.

If anything, there may be a larger-spread, temporary voice chat that exists for sieges.

• Options

We are to have in-game voice chat, supported by the game, itself. It was a *great* feature, the last few years of (live)SWG. Really did more to bring the guild together than any other in-game feature yours truly has seen, since.

If anything, there may be a larger-spread, temporary voice chat that exists for sieges.

This won't be happening, I'm wondering how many people have actually done large scale pvp in recent years. That would just be a mess of voices that people would have pre muted. Discord already works and what people will be using, while almost all people that are in the discord are automatically muted so they can't talk. Even more so when you are talking about a war with 100+ people.

If they add in game voice chat for parties sure that is fine. But asking them to make all these special rule sets for certain events that happen once in awhile would be a waste of resources. There are different departments of staff and you are talking about a department that is most likely flooded with hundreds of other issues they need to deal with.

So again you can do this in discord, no need to throw limited resources for something that exist already that players do on rare occasions.
  • Options
    This won't be happening, I'm wondering how many people have actually done large scale pvp in recent years. That would just be a mess of voices that people would have pre muted. Discord already works and what people will be using, while almost all people that are in the discord are automatically muted so they can't talk. Even more so when you are talking about a war with 100+ people.

If they add in game voice chat for parties sure that is fine. But asking them to make all these special rule sets for certain events that happen once in awhile would be a waste of resources. There are different departments of staff and you are talking about a department that is most likely flooded with hundreds of other issues they need to deal with.

So again you can do this in discord, no need to throw limited resources for something that exist already that players do on rare occasions.

In most efforts? I'd totally agree.

However, IS is the rare game; It's a *passion* project. If SS decides it's a good feature, then it's genuinely something we may very-well see implemented. By the game's roadmap thus far, it's not necessarily a feature that has been promised, nor ignored.

Would LOVE to see in-game implementation of such a feature, wherein a certain leader of events such as sieges feature "voice-priority", and can use/assign a function such as talk-priority, without having to rely on 3rd-party programs such as Discord.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2023
    While I have no particular issue with third party applications, the thing to keep in mind with Discord is that it has literally always been the business model to cash out at some point. Some of the early developers of the platform had a percentage of the eventual sale written in to their contract in lieu of an average salary.

As such, any game developer MUST assume that Discord will eventually be sold or put up for an IPO. As we have seen from the likes of Twitch and Twitter, this sale is absolutely going to change said platform, and many people will leave. A game that is reliant on Discord will see their comunity in a state of disarray at the very least when this inevitability does indeed happen.

I wouldn't actually be surprised to see this happen before Ashes goes live.

TL:DR, the concept of "people will just use Discord" is not something a good game developer should ever consider, nor is it something a good community should ever utter.

As to the OP's suggestion, I have every expectation that there will be an in game voice chat channel for each side in a siege. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be a part of caravans as well.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    While I have no particular issue with third party applications, the thing to keep in mind with Discord is that it has literally always been the business model to cash out at some point. Some of the early developers of the platform had a percentage of the eventual sale written in to their contract in lieu of an average salary.

As such, any game developer MUST assume that Discord will eventually be sold or put up for an IPO. As we have seen from the likes of Twitch and Twitter, this sale is absolutely going to change said platform, and many people will leave. A game that is reliant on Discord will see their comunity in a state of disarray at the very least when this inevitability does indeed happen.

TL:DR, the concept of "people will just use Discord" is not something a good game developer should ever consider, nor is it something a good community should ever utter.

As to the OP's suggestion, I have every expectation that there will be an in game voice chat channel for each side in a siege. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be a part of caravans as well.

There is a difference between in game voice chats for parties and wanting voice chat to do certain elements during certain times, with certain restrictions, under very few instances.

Point about this is not voice chat, its about the way it was suggested. And discord is not going anywhere, and by chance even if it did. People would use team speak, or other apps until a new one was made.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As long as they use a built-in voice chat, and don't try to integrate 3rd party apps, I think this would be fine. I don't really care about the speech before the siege, but giving a battle commander or two access to speak one-way to all the defenders or attackers would be cool. Individual parties or raids can do whatever, using ingame voice chat or 3rd party apps like Discord as well, but I can see it could be fun to have a built in system for a couple of people to be able to speak to everyone. If they abuse it, they can be muted and punished in the game after. Like, not getting a vote in next election if mayor.
  • Options

There is a difference between in game voice chats for parties and wanting voice chat to do certain elements during certain times, with certain restrictions, under very few instances.

Point about this is not voice chat, its about the way it was suggested. And discord is not going anywhere, and by chance even if it did. People would use team speak, or other apps until a new one was made.

A major caveat to the suggestion was if VOIP was already going to be integrated than this would be a relatively easy immersive addition. This was not a suggestion to create the entire feature solely for this purpose. Perhaps use some creative intuition to imagine when this kind of thing would be implemented. Or instead of just being like NO anggy face discord exist! instead say something like, "Well if VOIP was inherent to the game then adding this feature might be fun, otherwise it would definitely be feature bloat"
  • Options
    Could be good, the option is nice. I probably wouldn't give a fuck bothering to listen to it though. I suppose streamer simps would each that shit up though.
  • Options

A major caveat to the suggestion was if VOIP was already going to be integrated than this would be a relatively easy immersive addition. This was not a suggestion to create the entire feature solely for this purpose. Perhaps use some creative intuition to imagine when this kind of thing would be implemented. Or instead of just being like NO anggy face discord exist! instead say something like, "Well if VOIP was inherent to the game then adding this feature might be fun, otherwise it would definitely be feature bloat"

No matter how many times people won't get it but I guess it doesn't matter anyway. So ima delete the more technical thing I was typing and just say you are asking for star citizen level bloat instead of them working on important things for the game with limited devs.
  • Options
    @Voxtrium
    love your Idea. Please message me if you are a major of a city which is under siege. Definitly wanna join your Discord/Teamspeak. I can't miss your 5 minutes long -not appropiate -speech ;) .

Scream! Break into Tears! Cry... !!!!! encourage and entertain!!!! That is the SPIRIT :*
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    NiKr wrote: »

Sorry I was assuming in my head it was just the defenders inside of the actual node so the abuse factor wouldn’t exist. Additionally the player has the option to decline so it wouldn’t really matter in terms of disruption, if they are doing something they deem more important they’ll just decline.

Only addition is I’d give a 5 minute warning for the speech so players have the ability to finish what they are doing so they aren’t disrupted!

Nikr makes a good point. They would just have to be mindful of the exploits.

Not something I'm interested in but I could see how the RP community would love this. A structure for scripted events like this is far superior to discord for them. Think of this as dungoen master tool kits.
    Developing these kind of tools would bring RPers in by the busload.

Spending devolpment time on this type of system is absolutely worth it. Too many games figured out their "core audience", ignore everone else and then wonder why they cant keep or add players. Lets being everone in.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited December 2023
    I want a game i don't want a rp tool that does nothing gameplay wise and tons of resources used on it making everything else suffer.

This is literarily feature creep.
  • Options
    I want a game i don't want a rp tool that does nothing gameplay wise and tons of resources used on it making everything else suffer.

Do you know if they already plan to implement VOIP?
    If they plan to implement VOIP already do you know how they play to regulate it? I guarantee if they plan on implementing it to begin with they will already have systems in place to allow users to heavily customize the VOIP that is available, like having party only, "raid leader" voices etc. Based on that logic the only implementation left is moving players to a courtyard.... which doesn't even need to happen, you could just have it be a broadcast to all players who signed up for the defense and are currently in node.
  • Options
    ( ( ( 2 : 22 - Second Minute and Twenty Two Seconds is a good Choice of Music. ;) ) ) )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6R0Xx37qE8&t=142s

" A Day may come when the courage of Casuals fails, when we forsake our Efforts and break all bonds of Teamwork. But it is NOT THIS DAY !! "

" Die-hards shall be shaken ~ Ego's shall be splintered ... ... ... a laggy Day, a PATCH Day !!

UNTIL our complains and whining rises !! TO THE FORUMS !! "

But NOT THIS DAY !! This day we flail ! By all that you hold dear in this World of Verra,

Together we stand !! CASUALS OF THE SUBSCRIPTIONS !!!

... ... ... and then we ride into Battle and probably die without even killing a single Enemy in a huge, gigantic Frame-Festival where People will in Hotmics curse about the Lag and call this Game pay to win for those who have better PC's and/or Internet Connections. 😁👍
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options

If they plan to implement VOIP already do you know how they play to regulate it? I guarantee if they plan on implementing it to begin with they will already have systems in place to allow users to heavily customize the VOIP that is available, like having party only, "raid leader" voices etc. Based on that logic the only implementation left is moving players to a courtyard.... which doesn't even need to happen, you could just have it be a broadcast to all players who signed up for the defense and are currently in node.

Yes all that is left is to design the whole system and have it working for a once in awhile instance. You make it sound like voice working its all the work, when that is not the case like some kind of magic makes everything work suddenly. Effectively you are taking some of the most important people off making important parts of the game / helping other departments to make a meme level thing....

This is how people start having crazy expectations for games than start hating when things they imagine aren't met.
    " allow users to heavily customize the VOIP that is available,"

There is 0 reason for them to spend time creating Rp mechanics that do no gameplay and discord level voice chats, or crazy customization. People want a game not for them to be doing "feature creep" on elements that aren't even game related.
  • Options
    What if the citizens actually don't like the mayor?
    Maybe the one which was more popular lost the position.
    Or could happen that works for the enemy and could surprise players by creating a demotivational speech right before the battle. (the AI doesn't want to generate demotivational speeches :no_mouth:)

Maybe IS should create some cut-scenes showing the players in position on the walls (or in front of them on the battle field if they are the attackers) and give the leader the possibility to customize what players see. Especially if a dragon is available. Each race could have some specific war cries or war preparation rituals which the mayor can trigger before such special events.
    If the battle is coordinated by several war leaders, the game could let them execute together a ritual.
  • Options

Yes all that is left is to design the whole system and have it working for a once in awhile instance. You make it sound like voice working its all the work, when that is not the case like some kind of magic makes everything work suddenly. Effectively you are taking some of the most important people off making important parts of the game / helping other departments to make a meme level thing....

This is how people start having crazy expectations for games than start hating when things they imagine aren't met.

There is 0 reason for them to spend time creating Rp mechanics that do no gameplay and discord level voice chats, or crazy customization. People want a game not for them to be doing "feature creep" on elements that aren't even game related.

Discord could be deleted the day after AOC finishes fully integrating AOC into discord, but yeah im sure relying on a 3rd party app that has no stake in what AOC wants is a great idea
  • Options
    back in the day we just used to say "jacket up" and take their castle :3 that was the speech.
    if you know you know :3
  • Options

Discord could be deleted the day after AOC finishes fully integrating AOC into discord, but yeah im sure relying on a 3rd party app that has no stake in what AOC wants is a great idea

The world could be deleted tomorrow by that logic. VOIP might not make it into the game by that logic do to time and money constraints and gets cut by that logic. We could keep going.

Id rather stick to the argument that you think it is simple because you are not knowing of the other elements involved. Anything can be added to a game, that does not mean 100 different random features needs to be added no one asked for originally. To add to more things to develop, implement, bug check and fix on top of the 100's of other elements for a team of like 10.
  • Options

Seems that VOIP is actually planned.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Voice_communications