Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Spell/Skill Visuals Idea [Feedback/Discussion]

LeukaelLeukael Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited January 9 in General Discussion
I had a thought regarding visuals that I thought I would float for consideration and feedback.

Idea: Spell and skill visual elements (particles, glow intensity, etc.) scaled with level? So, you have a visual form of progression alongside the level itself. It would lean into the organic/immersive nature of the systems (weather, node, etc.) in the game. It also makes sense that your abilities would be more visually impactful as you grow in power too.

What do you think? Spark any other ideas? I'd love to hear them.
Stag-Axiom-Sig-LEAUK3.png

Comments

• Options
    Sounds really cool imo! *But* I would like to recall that players would have the option to turn glow effects and stuff like that down to their own preference, so I am not sure how much of a difference it would make in the long run or if it would be worth the effort. (To be fair though, I have no idea how much effort would go into a design like that!)
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    Sounds like more work for no reason and extra flash. Id rather have progression from casting higher lvl spells as what will already be in the game.
  • Options
    So this is something I'd love to see as well but tied to upgrades. Visuals of a spell should slightly change as you add points into that spell, or upgrade/morph it (If they let us do that with skills).

Example for Mage:
    Blizzard skill could increase radius of blizzard.
    Black Hole skill could have greater reduction in movement speed if you upgrade it with effect slightly different looking.
    Thundershock skill when upgrading could shoot forward a beam that hits several targets nearby etc.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    edited February 16
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Sounds like more work for no reason and extra flash. Id rather have progression from casting higher lvl spells as what will already be in the game.

Sorry to necro thread just been busy. I'm not really suggesting creating new visuals. Rather, have a finished visual for the spell and then have it set for particle effects to be lessened based distance from max level. To @TheDarkSorcerer's point, it could be something reflective of talent point investment as well.

This would give us something to serve a visual way to observe our own power growth and create more immersion that is inline with the already existing features.

This would give us an intuitive and logical way to engage with the game. Think of a new players and our latest pvp feature of not seeing health details. These new players see people in the world using their abilities and have no idea how to be informed about power level of others. But the flashier stuff intuitively looks more impressive and is easy for them to understand "Oh okay that person is tough."

Whether Intrepid has the bandwidth falls under their purview. I am not here to think of what we can't do. I'm here to discuss ideas for them to consider and see if others would find value in it or not.
  • Options
    edited February 16
    daveywavey wrote: »

Yeah precisely. I like spells being a bit flashy but I prefer them to scale a bit ha ha.
  • Options
    HybridSRHybridSR Member
    edited February 16
    The only feedback I have when it comes to current VFX is that the lightning ball literally brings down every single showcase. It's a terrible effect. Moreover it feels like there's always 5 mages and 5 of those skills cover half the screen. It's just awful and I cannot understand how they haven't realized that it makes the game look bad, which is a shame because I absolutely loved the latest ranger skills showcase.

That skill and its effects should be remade and ASAP. It's actually painful how it instantly destroys visual clarity every single that it's cast.
  • Options
    edited February 16
    HybridSR wrote: »
    The only feedback I have when it comes to current VFX is that the lightning ball literally brings down every single showcase. It's a terrible effect. Moreover it feels like there's always 5 mages and 5 of those skills cover half the screen. It's just awful and I cannot understand how they haven't realized that it makes the game look bad, which is a shame because I absolutely loved the latest ranger skills showcase.

That skill and its effects should be remade and ASAP. It's actually painful how it instantly destroys visual clarity every single that it's cast.

I must agree on this. If they want this effect, increase cooldown or make it an ultimate with higher damage.
    But visually it just takes up too much space. I would've rather it be like eso Wall of Elements (Fire/Lightning/Frost) at 0:35 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvE5-4rhChE
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    edited February 17
    Felt the VFX could have used a bit of a lighter hand. Everything felt heavily done and not like with a sense of negative space you could say. They all looked well done in concept but needed to follow the Chanel rule of taking one thing off before you go out, if you get what I mean.

Some more recent games that had open alphas and early access had great examples of more subtlety in vfx.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I personally want skills and spells to keep their 'bigger flashy versions' for when the weather matches up.

I feel this would be a positive experience, especially considering just how rare certain weather can be outside of (or even within) certain seasons.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    hleVhleV Member
    Visual progression not ruined by cash shop? Sounds good to me.
  • Options
    I think that would be pretty spectacular. I assume for an example, Mage's fireball would increase in size and appearance graphically as they continued to level, or a rogues smokebomb would maybe increase in radius.
    I am obsessed with anything magic.