Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Death, Punishment, and Anti-Griefing systems

2»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 11
    NiKr wrote: »
    Dygz will tell you that this is not the case because pvp penalties are lower, but dying 20 times in an hour because no one is afraid to kill you seems like it will lead to bigger losses than dying only once in an hour because people are afraid of getting corruption. But the sea rewards will supposedly be worth those 20 potential deaths.
    People will be more willing to die 20 times in an hour because it's minimal death penalties.
    And, it's still lower Risk because dealing with the death penalties is at least twice as easy as normal.
    You can leave the Open Seas the moment you feel you don't want to deal with more accrued death penalties, so...
    More Rewards for more frequent PvP, but less Risk due to decreased death penalties.
    MOAR Rewards for MOAR PvP !!! Play to Crush !!!
    *RAWR*

(It's not really bigger losses - it's still just dropping some resources - and only half the resources than dying Green.)
  • Options
    Krakhun wrote: »
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Why is it ok to grief players on the open sea?
    It could be explained by the absence of corruption in the sea, so you only become purple instead of red. And Steven's meta explanation for it is "there's more rewards in the sea so the risk must be higher as well".

Dygz will tell you that this is not the case because pvp penalties are lower, but dying 20 times in an hour because no one is afraid to kill you seems like it will lead to bigger losses than dying only once in an hour because people are afraid of getting corruption. But the sea rewards will supposedly be worth those 20 potential deaths.

PvE players won't understand the excitement of different types of pvp and rule sets. They think everything should be the same or = less pvp. Or PvP = griefing lol.

HAHA, I come from the UO area, full loot pvp, and it still holds some of my favorite gaming memories. But if the corruption mechanic doesn't cover the entire world, they should at least change the definition so it does not imply griefing is ok on the open sea.

That was a long time ago, people change even more so when you are talking about like 20 years ago.

This is not a released game yet, I'm sure like most games you will bet a big warning this location is open pvp.

Being pvp'd is not being griefed, being killed whenever you go to a location by the same group is not griefing. Open PvP does not mean everyone will attack you either. There is no reason to change the definition of anything it already makes perfect sense and doesn't need to be complicated for literarily 0 reason.
  • Options
    KrakhunKrakhun Member, Intrepid Pack
    Why is it ok to grief players on the open sea?
    It could be explained by the absence of corruption in the sea, so you only become purple instead of red. And Steven's meta explanation for it is "there's more rewards in the sea so the risk must be higher as well".

PvE players won't understand the excitement of different types of pvp and rule sets. They think everything should be the same or = less pvp. Or PvP = griefing lol.

HAHA, I come from the UO area, full loot pvp, and it still holds some of my favorite gaming memories. But if the corruption mechanic doesn't cover the entire world, they should at least change the definition so it does not imply griefing is ok on the open sea.

That was a long time ago, people change even more so when you are talking about like 20 years ago.

This is not a released game yet, I'm sure like most games you will bet a big warning this location is open pvp.

Being pvp'd is not being griefed, being killed whenever you go to a location by the same group is not griefing. Open PvP does not mean everyone will attack you either. There is no reason to change the definition of anything it already makes perfect sense and doesn't need to be complicated for literarily 0 reason.

You are misunderstanding me, I do not equate pvp to griefing. I consider killing the same player over and over again because you are bored griefing. And that can be done on the open sea without any penalty.
  • Options
    edited January 11
    Rather PvE-focused players don't enjoy the same playstyle as PvP-focused gamers.
    I understand that it's common in Japan for people raised in that culture to excitedly eat fish eyes.
    I don't enjoy eating fish eyes.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Rather PvE-focused players don't enjoy the same playstyle as PvP-focused gamers.
    I understand that it's common in Japan for people raised in that culture to excitedly eat fish eyes.

Both can be true, but having different pvp rule sets is a fun thing in itself.

@Krakhun Its a giant world, killing the same person cause they keep coming back is not griefing. They need to give up and go to another spot or prepare to find a way to win in pvp or get help. That isn't a strong point to say that is griefing because you died in pvp.

Now if you want to say someone is ulting a alt account to follow you everywhere that is a low level and can't be pvped to scout you can follow ou round the world no matter where you go to flag on you. Or use methods to purpose stop you from doing certain content and by passing normal rules than we can talk about griefing *ie 10 mages following you spamming sleep and refusing to attack you and going out of their way to ensure you can not play.

That can get in the realm were we can talk about if you are being griefed it not, not because you die in pvp and are stubborn and think that spot belongs to you without having to fight for it.
  • Options
    ...[H]aving different pvp rule sets is a fun thing in itself.
    Especially on separate servers.

• Options
    KrakhunKrakhun Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited January 12

@Krakhun Its a giant world, killing the same person cause they keep coming back is not griefing. They need to give up and go to another spot or prepare to find a way to win in pvp or get help. That isn't a strong point to say that is griefing because you died in pvp.

Now if you want to say someone is ulting a alt account to follow you everywhere that is a low level and can't be pvped to scout you can follow ou round the world no matter where you go to flag on you. Or use methods to purpose stop you from doing certain content and by passing normal rules than we can talk about griefing *ie 10 mages following you spamming sleep and refusing to attack you and going out of their way to ensure you can not play.

That can get in the realm were we can talk about if you are being griefed it not, not because you die in pvp and are stubborn and think that spot belongs to you without having to fight for it.

lmao, Remember that when I'm standing over your corpse for the forth time, and you just want your gear.
  • Options
    ...[H]aving different pvp rule sets is a fun thing in itself.
    Especially on separate servers.

THere it is lmao
  • Options

lmao, Remember that when I'm standing over your corpse for the forth time.

You just earned your spot on my guilds kos list.
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    edited January 12
    What I think the devs don't quite realize (or they do but leave it to testing) is that the way the corruption penalties are currently set up, it:

- reduces random, spontaneous, on-off PKs, which I think are healthy for the game;
    - increases PKing lower level players (guaranteed win) and planned PKing (best gear stashed, using cheap gear).

All this because the punishment for becoming corrupt is so severe, but those who want to PK, will still be doing so with "workarounds". The system is supposed to deter griefing, but all it does is reduce "healthy PKing" and increases griefing because "healthy PKing" is too expensive. There will always be those who want to have it easy (killing lowbies) or have minimal risk (using cheap gear to PK), but what about those who are minding their own business but suddenly get trashtalked/mobtrained/resource-contested? They won't PK when otherwise they would. Nobody is ever gonna PK in their best gear if just a single PK count means a chance to drop a gear piece that took months to acquire. Or if a single PK screws you over so much that you really need to rethink if it was worth it.

Basically if bloodthirsty players deem the risk too high, they'll go out of their way to reduce that risk at the expense of others (low level players or players who would like to kill a corrupted player but can't even get a good piece drop because the corrupted is in cheap gear).
    Meanwhile your usual player will avoid ever PKing because they happen to be in their best gear when some guy starts trashtalking/mobtraining/resource-contesting them, and/or it takes too much effort to regrind the lost xp/refarm resources if you happen to die while corrupt.
  • Options
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    lol just run back to your corpse, revive and keep playing while the murderer gets all the negative bonuses.

you lose like 1 minute

Ahoi da ! * rüberwink * 😁

Or 2 Minutes. Comes all down to how long/short the Respawn-Timer is. I could imagine the Time going up if you get killed several times in very short Time Windows. Like in World of Token-craft. ;) . 😅

" Pray the Respawn Timer does not take to hideous a form. "
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited January 12
    It's not really bigger losses - it's still just dropping some resources - and only half the resources than dying Green.
    Let's say base penalty is 4% experience/loot/stats. So pvp pen would be 2%.

If I go out to sea with 100%xp, 100 glint, 1k hp/mp and 1k p/m atk/def, I'll be losing 2% of all of that per death. At 20 death within an hour I'd be down to ~67 glint/xp ~677 of other values (if my math is anywhere near correct).

If I died once as a green that'd just be 96 and 960.

If either locations are worth my time - I still lose more in the seas by default (and that's not even counting potential losses of anything that I might've farmed within that hour). More deaths is simply more losses, even if the losses are slightly smaller.

This is why Steven says that risk is higher in the seas and why corruption protects those who don't care for the high value content. Corruption reduces your amount of deaths, which means that your general gameplay risk values are lower than any other pvper's, because that pvper will be dying way more frequently.

If anything, the lower penalty is simply a lie to make people think that flagging up is better :D I agree with that lie and want people to flag up, but we'll see how well the balancing of penalties will work in convincing people to do that.
  • Options
    "The goal of the corruption system is to keep risk alive while significantly curtailing or deterring the ability for players to grief other players." Why is it ok to grief players on the open sea? You can pvp anywhere as is, why do pker's / griefers get a free pass on the sea? Doesn't this invalidate the entire corruption system?

People were asking to be pirates, so they let them be pirates. Seemed like an unusual idea at the time, but we'll get to try it out before it's solidified. They've been pretty good about listening to feedback.

Presumably if you die on the open seas, then you'll spawn back on land, so the opportunities for repeated killing/griefing would be fewer?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/