Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hardcore Realms

What is the chance that hardcore realms will be made a thing for this game? I ask because it's fairly popular in WoW and think it could be good to bring in those who like a challenge.

Comments

• Options
    LashingLashing Member
    edited January 10
    It could never be a perma death mode due to pvp but they could always do hardcore in other ways. Item scarcity, no alts, harder mobs, leveling speed changes, stat changes. It could be interesting but it is not something they need on launch. It is more of a content filler system for people that have nothing better to do in the current version of the game.
  • Options
    Lol - isn't AoC's planned mechanics for owPvP and Corruption *already* most developers' notion of "hardcore" servers?

Asides from the minor aesthetics @Lashing mentioned, how would you even make it more so? Everyone is Red, all the time?

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In before we get a request for "vanilla servers"
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Heh - standard servers will still be challenging, depending on how high you set your goals.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited January 11
    Lol - isn't AoC's planned mechanics for owPvP and Corruption *already* most developers' notion of "hardcore" servers?

Asides from the minor aesthetics @Lashing mentioned, how would you even make it more so? Everyone is Red, all the time?

hardcore? no :wink: that's just open world pvp.

They mean hardcore related to certain games as in you die once you lose your character.

I agree, it wouldn't really make sense design wise for ashes to do a perma death server because of how easy it is to troll. Unless you get super corrupted for killing the fledglings let alone the huge risks for caravans and node sieges.

EDIT:

Well I wouldn't say it wouldn't be possible considering server size. Most players bodies upon death would either have to be full loot or no loot. The world would develop quite slowly and wouldn't change node levels very often it at all. Server could be quite barren as resource acquiring would be quite more severe. The worst part for many players would be the pacing for how long it would take to reach max level. Corruption and bounty hunting would be crazy as penalties would need to be more severe.

It could work, it just kind of goes against the grain in certain aspects. PvE servers are technically possible too where the only pvp allowed is during opt-in events and scenario's but they would have to cut the amount of resources and drop rates significantly to prevent server bloat or certain features that depleted resources being stock piled.
  • Options
    Well there could be a hardcore and semi hardcore setting in this game do not think it would change individual game experience. Creative Director already stated that something like ironman mode will be implemented. Lord of the Rings has a difficulty seting for open worlds.
  • Options
    Insanemang wrote: »
    What is the chance that hardcore realms will be made a thing for this game?

As a certain, VideoGame-Jesus from Texas once happened to say :

" Hardcore Servers are for People who don't respect their own time. "

A notorious Man who walked the Maw of WoW and then showed the Jailer who is the true, bald Badass, once said that.

And i agree.
    There is no Question " IF " You will get killed. Only when.

Could be a Day. Could be Two,
    could be a Week or Two, or maybe a Month or Two if you are really good.

Since the whole Open World aside from "protected"(??) Area's like inside of Nodes where Cityguards are around or so, is PvP-Area in which every Murder-Hobo from the Backwoods can simply murder You just for being nearby him at any point of time,

i think Hardcore-Servers could be great Entertainment.

Great Entertainment for those, who love to see others lose EVERYTHING they have worked for - and probably their Nerves and Mind as well. 🤣 . 🤣 . 🤣 . 🤣 . 🤣

If you want to actually get somewhere in the Game - and i literally mean SOMEWHERE - "anywhere",

then i recommend not doing any kind of Hardcore Servers. However - if you are a special, hard-boiled kind of Person and/or Masochist : you may give it a Shot.

Don't forget to make Bets in how you will probably die next Time, every single Time you make a Character. 😁

Show us what a true Hell without any Hope truly looks like. >:) . 🤣 . >:)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Insanemang wrote: »
    What is the chance that hardcore realms will be made a thing for this game? I ask because it's fairly popular in WoW and think it could be good to bring in those who like a challenge.

what is a hardcore realm? what makes something hardcore can change. do you mean perma death, lower rates, no npc items, etc, etc?
  • Options
    Not against, but I would be looking for other things maybe
    • bosses will not respawn until all bosses in the world are dead and there's no way to tell which boss is still alive
    • 100% drop rate on player deaths
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Separate servers where masochists can throw endless deaths at each other? Why not? This requires little to no control from the devs.

However, the answer they will give you is that they do not want to split their playerbase, which is the whole argument against pve servers.

It would be neat to see how that sort of world would function but until they start being more cozy towards a playerbase split you have little to no hope of this happening.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu