Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Epicity in AoC?

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited February 19 in General Discussion

I could make things easy by putting "The Ride of the Rohirrim" ( LOTR ) or "This Is Where We Fight" ( 300 ) but no, that's what epic moments are all about, it's not that those epic moments come "announced" but that they appear in moments when you don't expect them and awaken THAT EPICITY that makes your nerves twitch.

I really hope that Intrepid will surprise us with epic moments like the one shown in BG3 , MMORPGS need it , enough of announced things , enough of waiting for EPIC MUSIC AND EPIC MOMENTS in bosses , raids or "important" things. Those things are already going to be there.

The epicness needs that SURPRISE factor that is a great detail that makes things have that "something special" that makes a big difference.

EDym4eg.png

Comments

• Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 11
    Music in MMOs is hard. No matter how good it quickly becomes an area big money is not worth it. After playing an MMO for a plonged time the music just becomes repetitive and most people turn it off.

On top of that, this game will be about playing with people. Voice chat becomes an overwhelmingly needed and music gets in the way. Ashes needs music we will remember.

A scripted story like a single player game, that type of big budget music is really worth it, that scripted with every moment. That's just not MMOs.
  • Options
    edited January 11
    Sure, but the idea in general would be based on different contents, music could be one of them but also for example

-The entrance of a boss
    -The presentation of a dungeon
    -The introduction of some character
    -The presentation of some event
    - Some spectacular change of weather

The possibilities are potentially incredible and the breadth of content is very wide.

Things that combine the surprise with the epicness to give more punch to the epicness.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    I just need something that is catch, good and not annoying. Not going to expect Triple A budget for music with millions of dollars thrown at it. Id rather have a game.
  • Options
    edited January 11
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I just need something that is catch, good and not annoying. Not going to expect Triple A budget for music with millions of dollars thrown at it. Id rather have a game.

YESSSSSSSSSSS that is the main point

Development Studios don't need to spend like a TRIPLE A for that, you need more passion, creativity and imagination for that.

The details have a great potential for epicness.
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    The guy they've hired to compose the music has some good titles under his belt. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Options

I could make things easy by putting "The Ride of the Rohirrim" ( LOTR ) or "This Is Where We Fight" ( 300 ) but no, that's what epic moments are all about, it's not that those epic moments come "announced" but that they appear in moments when you don't expect them and awaken THAT EPICITY that makes your nerves twitch.

I really hope that Intrepid will surprise us with epic moments like the one shown in BG3 , MMORPGS need it , enough of announced things , enough of waiting for EPIC MUSIC AND EPIC MOMENTS in bosses , raids or "important" things. Those things are already going to be there.

The epicness needs that SURPRISE factor that is a great detail that makes things have that "something special" that makes a big difference.

Seeing your referenced you used, I'm curious why you feel that one is epic, what makes it so for you?
  • Options

Seeing your referenced you used, I'm curious why you feel that one is epic, what makes it so for you?

Yeah, I wouldn't put that one up there with the Rohirrim.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    edited January 11

The context , I can't say as it would be a spoiler , but what it encompasses around the entrance of Raphael's boss fight.

I understand very well that there are things that are " tastes and colors " , not everyone can appreciate things in the same way , however epic things have in common things that make them epic , either the music , the context , the lore , the way of presentation , the entrance , the events , the events provoked , etc .

It's not just about putting a fancy music, lights and colors to make something epic, there are details that have those epic things that make them epic.

And as I said before I could put "The Ride of the Rohirrim" ( LOTR ) or "This Is Where We Fight" ( 300 ) but they would be examples very easy to understand, the epic is also in things like the example I put of BG3, not only in massive productions as in LOTR or 300.

Elden Ring is full of epic moments, incredible boss entrances, fascinating presentations, very well designed contexts, I would like to find things like that in AoC to be honest, not with the theme of Elden Ring because I would like AoC to be always AoC and not a copy of something else, but if AoC discovers its potential to create those epic moments within its world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Huy2cdih0&t=7s
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    edited January 11
    daveywavey wrote: »

Yeah, I wouldn't put that one up there with the Rohirrim.

The same for me, for me Rohirrim is the pinnacle of the epic.

https://youtu.be/7lwJOxN_gXc?si=VGqd4fRv6YikK1wU&t=2

EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    I believe Intrepid has a team working on music because I recall hearing something from their stream and liking it.

If not, I would strongly recommend Intrepid to take a look at some of the small TTRPG audio creators that are around on YouTube. Michael Ghelfi has some absolutely shockingly amazing content for being a very small collection of "amatuers" - and I would absolutely look into the possibility to hire him for some sound tracks if they are missing people for it! As far as I can recall, he is open to discuss business contract for games. :]

That said, I am fairly certain Intrepid has a full audio team as I've never seen them recruit any during their recruitment announcements. :] But I do hope they consider Ghelfi if they feel like they do not have enough on the music/ambience department! He is really amazing at what he does!
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options

The context , I can't say as it would be a spoiler , but what it encompasses around the entrance of Raphael's boss fight.

I understand very well that there are things that are " tastes and colors " , not everyone can appreciate things in the same way , however epic things have in common things that make them epic , either the music , the context , the lore , the way of presentation , the entrance , the events , the events provoked , etc .

It's not just about putting a fancy music, lights and colors to make something epic, there are details that have those epic things that make them epic.

And as I said before I could put "The Ride of the Rohirrim" ( LOTR ) or "This Is Where We Fight" ( 300 ) but they would be examples very easy to understand, the epic is also in things like the example I put of BG3, not only in massive productions as in LOTR or 300.

Elden Ring is full of epic moments, incredible boss entrances, fascinating presentations, very well designed contexts, I would like to find things like that in AoC to be honest, not with the theme of Elden Ring because I would like AoC to be always AoC and not a copy of something else, but if AoC discovers its potential to create those epic moments within its world.

I get all that with the build up and such, it can add more emotion to the moment but the music could be bad and you wouldn't care for it. So that art of music would still have to stand on its own.

Personally for me it is the more personal element where i feel they break the 4th wall slightly and you have the feeling they are talking to you. The tone of the music with the piano /organ making it stand out of the rest of the music in the game, on top of the way they use two different vocalist. All elements add different layers with high and lower notes adding to that rush of emotions you can be feeling a bit like a roller coaster.
  • Options
    edited January 11

I get all that with the build up and such, it can add more emotion to the moment but the music could be bad and you wouldn't care for it. So that art of music would still have to stand on its own.

Personally for me it is the more personal element where i feel they break the 4th wall slightly and you have the feeling they are talking to you. The tone of the music with the piano /organ making it stand out of the rest of the music in the game, on top of the way they use two different vocalist. All elements add different layers with high and lower notes adding to that rush of emotions you can be feeling a bit like a roller coaster.

Totally agree.
    In fact, I would love for AoC's music to be as memorable as LOTR's music but at the same time be very bold, kind of like a rock concert with an opera orchestra.

I want the beauty and harmony of a symphony orchestra with the violence and boldness of rock.

https://youtu.be/KoSZ6_hLfM0?si=nYWr95W1xKiX0f1X

https://youtu.be/tqhFUQtTsoA?si=VoFaM_5fYG4K4n5Y

https://youtu.be/kUr0Tq-UgX0?si=yNOaZKUxN4yRz7f5
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    edited January 11
    If I Remeber right, in Alpha 2 we will start hearing what IS has invested in their music. For me that standard is games like Everquest. The music was iconic and still moves me when I hear it. The music for an MMO should really be a finger print, stand out and unique but one you can turn off to chat with friends.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    The guy they've hired to compose the music has some good titles under his belt. We'll just have to wait and see.

Stumbled across a song I didn't know about by Bear McCreary recently and it made me even more excited :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    @MybroViajero ER dlc looking good.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »

Stumbled across a song I didn't know about by Bear McCreary recently and it made me even more excited :)

I just looked him up for the first time. His music for Battlestar Galactica was epic. Can't wait to hear what he does for Ashes.
  • Options
    GalaturcGalaturc Member
    edited January 11
    spoiler alert... still waiting to continue the second BG3 chapter, a little heads-up would be nice.
  • Options
    Galaturc wrote: »
    spoiler alert... still waiting to continue the second BG3 chapter, a little heads-up would be nice.

Nothing is really spoiled here, but don't click on Baldur's gate videos id recommend in general lol.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited January 25
    Epicity in AoC?

I suggest allowing an Option to let Players hear "HOTMICS" in huge Mass Battles, when People die right and left everywhere. x'D

" A~HH, THE LAG !! "

" WHERE ARE MY HEALS ?? "

" HAH !! I'M NOT EVEN TRYING AND I AM PLACE ONE IN THE DAMAGE METER !!! "

" YOUR MOM IS PLACE ONE !! LOL "

" FOCUS THE ENEMY HEALERS YOU NOOBS !!! GOD DAMN IT !! EVERY SINGLE TIME !! "

" FRRR~AAA~MMM~EEEE~SSS !!! "

" ANDY !! DON'T GO AFK AGAIN DURING MID-BATTLE PLEASE, IT "REALLY" PISSES ME OFF !! "

Okay while this here is mainly Silliness for the sake of Comedy - i can really imagine epicness taking Place. Like when it was suggested that Majors can hold a Speech short before a Battle. 😁

😎👍
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I thought I read explicity.
    Music needs to just be thematic and not annoying.
  • Options
    Chonkers wrote: »
    I thought I read explicity.
    Music needs to just be thematic and not annoying.

I thought it was going to be about the middle of a city....
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Chonkers wrote: »
    I thought I read explicity....

Bwyow-chicka--bwyow-bwyow

Oh, don't you worry: some perv's working on the UE5 Nude-mod, RIGHT now.

....It's only a matter of time.

daveywavey wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be about the middle of a city....

Well, where else is better to flaunt it?

Am imagining Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" while strolling down the boulevard in a dirty Jesus-thong through a Level 6 Metropolis.

Just gotta put that fat-slider ALL the way, to max....

• Options
    edited January 14
    This is what I mean, those small but epic moments when a Malenia Phase 2 presentation has that epic touch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiF1l3mhTU
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    edited March 4
    If you do something, make it epic

AoC needs music this epic, that transmits those feelings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9SwzEhfBLc
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    FlankerFlanker Member
    edited March 4