Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Request to see weapon mechanics in-game. Auto-Swap on ability

VyrilVyril Member
edited January 16 in General Discussion
I'll preface this discussion on I understand not all the archetypes are complete, and they're still hashing out combat. With the addition of augments to also provide change I would suspect even the default Archetypes would have some of this incorporated.

I do also remember the first mage stream, but this was a manual process, and no ability associated with it.

One of the features I'm looking forward too is the dynamic combat, of using any weapon in the game regardless of class.
  • Choice of weapon type changes the feel, pacing, speed, and other aspects of combat. Further specialization is achievable within each weapon's skill tree.[2][5][6][7][8][9][10]
  • Some ranged or melee abilities require a specific weapon to be equipped. Weapons that are equipped in the character's ranged or offhand slots will be automatically swapped in and out as required by the skill.[11][12][13]
  • Players can select which weapon they wish to use as their primary weapon for basic attacks.[11]

Some abilities will require that certain pieces of equipment are equipped. That's true for melee abilities like a shield bash requiring a shield to be equipped, or certain ranged abilities requiring a ranged weapon to be equipped as well. It's important to note that as part of the Ashes of Creation paper doll, you have a melee main hand, an offhand slot, and then you have a ranged slot as well, so you don't have to switch between weapons per-se if you execute an ability that requires a ranged weapon, but if you have your melee weapon out it will automatically swap to the range weapon and use the ability and then back to your melee weapon for your basic attack should you choose; and then you can select which weapon you want to have available your melee or your range for the basic attack and you can swap between those two even in combat, but they're they're still equipped.[11] – Steven Sharif

With the Ranger showcase we saw all ranged abilities and some utility. Ranger is probably the most viable class to have scenarios where ranged and melee combat would be used.

The other classes you could find some out of the box scenarios where casters have some type of melee ability, and melee use some type of ranged. Will melee ever really need to use a wand/orb because no abilities utilize them?

There just seems to be some pretty hard defined weapons to class associations that really don't ever expand upon the features talked about in their currently known vision.

What I'm getting at is, I hope to see some of these features shown in some upcoming live streams so we can provide feedback. Or at least maybe where their current stance is on applying these mechanics.

Comments