Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Wondering about guilds with respect to geography and nodes

MissionCreepMissionCreep Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
It seems like everything is tied to Nodes and geography. Travel times are relatively slow (unless you're part of a large scientific node with Teleport--in which case you're still tied to a Node).

Furthermore, Guilds are going to have guild halls and even castles and sieges. Everything comes down to geography.

This is all good with me, I'm not complaining. But then what does a server-wide guild look like when the Guild operates logistically in a limited zone?

They can say "We're a guild of X (crafters, mages, Dunir, etc)" but ultimately aren't they going have to say "We're all X...in approximately the same location?"

How does one join a guild (now recruiting) without knowing where one's node is or is going to be? I guess you just commit to go wherever the Guild ends up? Or commit to ride back and forth a lot. Or sail!

The Alliance helps with this somewhat, but that still could mean a lot of travel to aid the allies...unless the Alliance is tied to geography.

It's early and we don't have most of the answers, that's why I say I'm just wondering.

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    It's all about planning and gameplay preferences. If you want to constantly play with your guild, you'll have to find a preferred node near to theirs or plan your traveling accordingly for each gameplay session.

If you're fine only coming to certain guild events - pick whichever node on the map, but plan for travel to that event.

I'd imagine majority of guilds will have people in different nodes, because hardcore guilds would want node benefits on their members, while casual guilds won't push for everyone to be in their own node.

There'll also be Node-specific guilds (I'm gonna make one) and there'll be guilds that do enforce their node onto their members, for one reason or the other. But I think those will be exception to the rule. But w/o seeing practical applications of all the features there's no way to know for sure. A2 can't come soon enough.
  • Options
    Hmm. I'm looking for a guild myself, and I'm worried of the type of node that they may be persuaded by in case it doesn't fit with the type of gameplay that I want to enjoy. When it comes to Scientific nodes for portal teleportation, that will be handy, yes, though I do plan on eventually snagging a flying mount tbh, so a different type of node would be ideal probably.

I dunno, I guess it just depends on what you're looking for! :)
    I am obsessed with anything magic.

• Options
    People will decide if they want to try to fit in with any of the local groups or be a bit nomadic and decide where they want to live, rinse and repeat
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited January 30
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    People will decide if they want to try to fit in with any of the local groups or be a bit nomadic and decide where they want to live, rinse and repeat

Is it weird when i say, that since Skyrim and ElderScrolls Online, i try to keep out a Look for a huge, "Northerner"-Styled Guild for a colder Biome ??

I wonder if i will get to see a huge Alliance of Groups, maybe/hopefully several, capable Guilds - who decide to let the Viking-Dream come true.

Especially also because there will be Piracy in this Game >:) and let's be honest Everyone - > Vikings were like the first original Pirates, before the Name and Term Pirates was even a thing. 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    It seems like everything is tied to Nodes and geography. Travel times are relatively slow (unless you're part of a large scientific node with Teleport--in which case you're still tied to a Node).

Furthermore, Guilds are going to have guild halls and even castles and sieges. Everything comes down to geography.

This is all good with me, I'm not complaining. But then what does a server-wide guild look like when the Guild operates logistically in a limited zone?

They can say "We're a guild of X (crafters, mages, Dunir, etc)" but ultimately aren't they going have to say "We're all X...in approximately the same location?"

How does one join a guild (now recruiting) without knowing where one's node is or is going to be? I guess you just commit to go wherever the Guild ends up? Or commit to ride back and forth a lot. Or sail!

The Alliance helps with this somewhat, but that still could mean a lot of travel to aid the allies...unless the Alliance is tied to geography.

It's early and we don't have most of the answers, that's why I say I'm just wondering.

u can start looking for a guild in the guild recruiting section and find out ;3
    anyways, i believe it will be better for guilds to have some members in different nodes, because you can purchase different things that you can only get in one node type. also, crafting
  • Options
    @Aszkalon the vikings were definitely pirate-like :wink: Though to get technical, pirates historically go back to BCE. Once the human race figured out boats, naval piracy dawned.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm going to choose a node that I like, and then I'm going to join a PvP guild in that node or close to my node with people that I like, who have the goal to own a castle. Then, we are going to go for a castle, and the rest will be improvised. If the castle acts like a node, I will move there. If not, I will either move to a node close to the castle or just stay at my first node if it's close. From that point, I hope to stay and develop my node and castle, not moving to another node every other day.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

Is it weird when i say, that since Skyrim and ElderScrolls Online, i try to keep out a Look for a huge, "Northerner"-Styled Guild for a colder Biome ??

I wonder if i will get to see a huge Alliance of Groups, maybe/hopefully several, capable Guilds - who decide to let the Viking-Dream come true.

Especially also because there will be Piracy in this Game >:) and let's be honest Everyone - > Vikings were like the first original Pirates, before the Name and Term Pirates was even a thing. 😁

The first pirates were probably the Phoenicians btw, 1500 bce

In Ultima Online, whoever wanted to live in Bucaneer's Den, the town for the pks, simply went to live there and befriended locals and formed larger groups.

In EVE Online whoever wanted to live inside wormholes, null security space, low security space, simply went to live there and befriended locals and formed larger groups.

This will happen in AoC for sure, people will tie themselves to the land of their choice and then find if they will fit in the groups there
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 26
    I think it might be interesting if the mayor of a Divine node, who may hold an advanced religious office in the religion of that (and other) nodes, would declare a 'Crusade' against whatever little nest/node of PKers that someone like *deleted* and their wanna-be followers set up. Siege their red friendly node and wipe it off the server. I think that this is the type of player created conflict which Steven thinks will happen in AoC.
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited April 26
    I wonder if there will be a limit to how many node's a single guild can "own"?
    That would be a nice way too reign no-lifer edgelords in. The inability for a guild to hold more than 3 node's at a time or else they will have to hand over ownership of one of their node's to a specific one first, so that they can declare a siege or likewise, "buy" another node afterwards.

Any~ways I bet many guilds will declare sieges on the node's of the most dominant guilds at the same time so that the sweats cannot fight at two fronts at the same time and will lose one battle always.
    I dunno why but I feel the serverclimate will never be good "at the top" and toxicity will reign supreme. :sweat_smile:
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    Dripyula wrote: »
    I wonder if there will be a limit to how many node's a single guild can "own"?

You can be confident a single Node alone can become likely to much for a single Guild to handle.

Es soon as it evolves into a City or even a Metropolis, that gigantic and glorious thing should be to much for +100 People or so to govern.

Never underestimate Nodes. They are gonna be huge, since Verra will be huge. 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    oOHadesOo wrote: »
    Personally, I'm going to choose a node that I like, and then I'm going to join a PvP guild in that node or close to my node with people that I like, who have the goal to own a castle. Then, we are going to go for a castle, and the rest will be improvised. If the castle acts like a node, I will move there. If not, I will either move to a node close to the castle or just stay at my first node if it's close. From that point, I hope to stay and develop my node and castle, not moving to another node every other day.

Exactly the same, and I imagine this will be pretty common as @Arya_Yeshe suggests.

Although I'm still a little unsure about castles, have a bit of reading to do.