Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Curious About Combat Styles: Tab-Targeting vs. Action Mode in Dev Streams

I've noticed in your development streams, combat seems to predominantly feature Tab-Targeting rather than the action mode. I'm curious about the design decision behind this choice.

Could you at Intrepid share some insights into why Tab-Targeting is showcased more often, and what benefits it brings to the overall gaming experience?

Additionally, I'm eager to see more of the action mode in action and would love to know if there are plans to showcase its features and dynamics in upcoming streams. I'm excited about the potential it brings to the gameplay!

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Probably because testers prefer it. Steven sure as hell does.

You best chance to see action combat would be A2, because at that point you can find a streamer who prefers action combat and watch them (if you don't have the access yourself).
  • Options
    TryolTryol Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2
    I don't think there is any single "upside" to using the action "mode". It's just a different camera control-set that locks your character's rotation to where you are looking. While it might be easier for some people to use, being able to rotate your camera around your character without turning is a huge advantage for the normal camera mode.

For this reason I don't see myself ever using the action camera.
  • Options
    BlipBlip Member
    NiKr wrote: »

You best chance to see action combat would be A2, because at that point you can find a streamer who prefers action combat and watch them (if you don't have the access yourself).

I'm excited to dive into Alpha 2, where I'll be putting most of my testing efforts into exploring Action Combat. I have a slight concern that Tab-Targeting could hold an advantage in PvP, but I'm optimistic about the overall experience!
  • Options
    BlipBlip Member
    Tryol wrote: »
    I don't think there is any single "upside" to using the action "mode". It's just a different camera control-set that locks your character's rotation to where you are looking. While it might be easier for some people to use, being able to rotate your camera around your character without turning is a huge advantage for the normal camera mode.

For this reason I don't see myself ever using the action camera.

Yeah, I am afraid of that. It seems that action combat is being placed in the backseat here, and Tab-Target is getting favored by Intrepid. A clip from the stream shows the mage just running, spamming the wand, not looking at all at the target.
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited February 2
    Blip wrote: »
    NiKr wrote: »

I'm excited to dive into Alpha 2, where I'll be putting most of my testing efforts into exploring Action Combat. I have a slight concern that Tab-Targeting could hold an advantage in PvP, but I'm optimistic about the overall experience!

If you can't aim Snipe without a target there is no Action Combat. The system is technically just Action Camera with Soft Lock.

As it visually stands AoC has 2 types of abilities regardless of camera or targeting choice.

For the Ranger you have.
    1. Action Abilities - Scatter Shot, Raining Death, Air Strike
    2. Tab Abilities - Pretty much everything else

If we go back to the "Melee Showcase"

Nearly every ability and basic attack seemed to be Action Combat, not just action camera. We'll see if that changes with the Fighter showcase.

We did see in the Caravan PvP showcase the Tank with their charge did NOT require a target, which is very promising.