Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How will the AoC team address third party meters?

glugmongerglugmonger Member, Founder, Kickstarter
edited February 2 in General Discussion
I know that as of right now, meters will be banned because they break the immersion of a game (which I 100% agree on). However, how will the Ashes team address third party meter applications. Granted this was back in 2011, I remember Rift did not allow any meters when it first launched, but people quickly developed and started standardizing third party meter applications. Will it come down to a simple cease and desist for the application repo, some anti-cheat engine-esque part of the game that can detect when the screen or memory values are recorded for meters, or something else?

Edit: I was wrong about Rift's dps meters

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Rift never had any restrictions on meters - the game offered up a log file from early beta specifically so that meters could use it.

As to what Ashes could do - there is no viable way for them to detect them. All they can do is say they don't want them, and potentially take action on players that are stupid enough to make it obvious that they are using them.

As an example of how impossible it would be to detect, MSI recently showcased a monitor that had built in AI to detect and undertand what was happening on the screen. It was used in conjunction with LoL in the showcase, highlighting things like which direction an enemy was - making it easier for the player to see. This kind of thing can be (is being) used for combat assessment.

So, even if Intrepid had complete and open access to every single thing on the computer that had the game client, they still wouldn't be able to detect this kind of thing happening at all.
  • Options
    If people wan to learn more about it feel free to watch this video. This will be a tool used for cheating in games though it is not a good thing. Anything using this as a reason for third party is not a positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Lbs0Ld5Wff0
  • Options
    glugmongerglugmonger Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Noaani wrote: »
    Rift never had any restrictions on meters - the game offered up a log file from early beta specifically so that meters could use it.

As to what Ashes could do - there is no viable way for them to detect them. All they can do is say they don't want them, and potentially take action on players that are stupid enough to make it obvious that they are using them.

As an example of how impossible it would be to detect, MSI recently showcased a monitor that had built in AI to detect and undertand what was happening on the screen. It was used in conjunction with LoL in the showcase, highlighting things like which direction an enemy was - making it easier for the player to see. This kind of thing can be (is being) used for combat assessment.

So, even if Intrepid had complete and open access to every single thing on the computer that had the game client, they still wouldn't be able to detect this kind of thing happening at all.

Thanks for the correction for Rift - I definitely remembered it wrong. It is a shame that there's always going to be near impossible for them to detect any sort of monitoring, and it's gotten advanced enough that you could easily be a top streamer and use it without anyone knowing.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    If people wan to learn more about it feel free to watch this video. This will be a tool used for cheating in games though it is not a good thing. Anything using this as a reason for third party is not a positive.

Ew. :disappointed: that's objectively a bad direction to take this. It won't break a game like Ashes for most interactions, but ranger/rogue stealth will certainly be rendered completely useless. Honestly, f you MSI and any other company that introduces this as mainstream tech.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited February 2
    Nerror wrote: »

Ew. :disappointed: that's objectively a bad direction to take this. It won't break a game like Ashes for most interactions, but ranger/rogue stealth will certainly be rendered completely useless. Honestly, f you MSI and any other company that introduces this as mainstream tech.

Remember this is just early stages, ya you can detect rangers. But as this trains and technology gets more updates as well it will be able to do a lot more. IE full combat assistance in mmorpgs, if you want to target certain players it will be able to track them so you can easily focus certain people, etc.

Its only in early stages so it won't be too broken but as time goes on people will be half cyborgs and the element of skill will be gone.

Until we get to the next phase full virtual reality lol.

Granted its going to cost like 1000$ so not everyone is going to have it.
  • Options
    glugmonger wrote: »
    How will the AoC team address third party meters?

In the Caravan-PvP-Showcase, the own/allied Team was shown as blue.
    The direct/first(?) hostile Team was shown with red Icons and Names, right ?

I assume either will have a "Third Party" have a different Color, same as the Fourth the Fifth the Sixth and so on,
    or maybe Enemy Groups no matter if they are allied or not -> are always shown and marked as "red". Would make Sense, right ?

Of Course i can have totally misunderstood this Topic, but i wanted to give my mind on this nonetheless.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nerror wrote: »

Remember this is just early stages, ya you can detect rangers. But as this trains and technology gets more updates as well it will be able to do a lot more. IE full combat assistance in mmorpgs, if you want to target certain players it will be able to track them so you can easily focus certain people, etc.

Its only in early stages so it won't be too broken but as time goes on people will be half cyborgs and the element of skill will be gone.

Until we get to the next phase full virtual reality lol.

Granted its going to cost like 1000$ so not everyone is going to have it.

Once again, for anyone who cares.

This is a thing you can put on nearly any setup. If you knew how to stream, you could do this already in 2014. The only thing increasing here is casual accessibility.

The only thing stopping my team from writing AI to play basically any game is the design of the game itself. You must surpass the AI's ability to make decisions to stand a chance.

So, in answer to the OP question, AoC's team will take action against players who show themselves to be using add-ons and 3rd party meters/apps/AI assistants. They will possibly also attempt to detect them, as Steven's quote suggests that they believe they can detect(?) and ban the majority of third party apps and software.

That quote is from last decade though, so mileage may vary.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    yay, another meter thread.