Magically Sealed Caravan Crates?

What do you guys think about giving players the ability to magically lock caravan crates before beginning the route. This mechanic would prevent any successful raid parties from looting crates at the scene and force them to complete the delivery to get paid. This would serve as another option for people to increase the odds of defending their caravans and could be offered either through an in-game item like a single-use scroll, a caravan attachment that takes up one of your caravan gear slots, or an enchantment sold by an NPC that is available after the originating node is a certain level. The cost of such an ability would be scaled to make the total caravan loot slightly less profitable overall, but offer an additional level of insurance if players choose to use it for routes that are typically considered higher risk.

Comments

• Perhaps if it just added a "level" of security, then perhaps;

You shouldn't be able to add too much security to your shipments.

• No on forcing them to complete things. Could be a perk that increases the load time to pick items up so defenders have more time to regroup.
  • Perhaps if it just added a "level" of security, then perhaps;

Of course, I don't think caravans should have any level of guaranteed success. However, I do think there should be additional options that make it easier for parties to recover from ganks instead of the current systems that seems to be set up so if you get ganked and fail, your recovery chance can be immediately zero if the raid party decides to loot on scene instead of attempting to complete the delivery.
  • Perryuppal wrote: »
    Perhaps if it just added a "level" of security, then perhaps;

Of course, I don't think caravans should have any level of guaranteed success. However, I do think there should be additional options that make it easier for parties to recover from ganks instead of the current systems that seems to be set up so if you get ganked and fail, your recovery chance can be immediately zero if the raid party decides to loot on scene instead of attempting to complete the delivery.

What indicates that it is 0 are you going to be running it solo against larger parties???
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    Perryuppal wrote: »

What indicates that it is 0 are you going to be running it solo against larger parties???

If a raid party decides they want to loot crates immediately after destroying your caravan, they can pretty much just run away and will likely be long gone before you or your party can catch back up. The idea of magically sealing crates is to allow an optional level of protection that makes sure your party will have time to come back and try to recapture the caravan at the expense of paying a premium beforehand. If you pay for it and don't get ganked at all, you're still out the extra money you paid for the chests to be sealed making the trip less profitable for the originating group while not affecting profit levels of any potential ganking parties that complete the delivery.
    Mag7spy wrote: »

If a raid party decides they want to loot crates immediately after destroying your caravan, they can pretty much just run away and will likely be long gone before you or your party can catch back up. The idea of magically sealing crates is to allow an optional level of protection that makes sure your party will have time to come back and try to recapture the caravan at the expense of paying a premium beforehand. If you pay for it and don't get ganked at all, you're still out the extra money you paid for the chests to be sealed making the trip less profitable for the originating group while not affecting profit levels of any potential ganking parties that complete the delivery.

The idea is they use a caravan because they can not carry that many items its not for small amounts. So design wise everyone shouldn't be able to pick things up and leave. There would still be alot left they can not hold.

Unless you are talking about an extreme zerg

The idea is they use a caravan because they can not carry that many items its not for small amounts. So design wise everyone shouldn't be able to pick things up and leave. There would still be alot left they can not hold.

If raids are expected to be even half the size of what we saw on the Caravan PvP update video, that would be plenty of players to pick everything up and leave given the current size of caravan storage
  • Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited February 4
    I mean, I never liked the wagon will simply drop tokens and people will snatch that and run.

To me the attackers would need need mules or wargons to carry the loot away and they would have to deal with other band of random atatckers on their way home

Attackes would become defenders and defenders would become attackers, the roads would be an absolute ball of violence
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited February 4
    Magically Sealed Caravan Crates ?

Fifty Shades of Caravan Crates ? lol

But jeah why not. Sure, i can imagine Spells/Seals etc. that make it need more Time for whoever wants to open the Crates to take a look inside it.

Maybe even something technical, too. Like additional Locks made by Blacksmiths. Or maybe instead of Crates we take just Safe/Strongroom-Boxes with us in the first Place. :D

N~aaah, i think that would be to much work at times. Also imagine you make the biggest, baddest, most closely and tightly locked Crates of the whole World of Verra,

-> and then Nobody even attacks that single, particular Caravan. Combine such a thing with HUUUGE Costs for Example to keep the Crates closed to securely - and this could backfire in Terms of ingame Finances.
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)

If raids are expected to be even half the size of what we saw on the Caravan PvP update video, that would be plenty of players to pick everything up and leave given the current size of caravan storage

You are making an assumption. I;d recommend checking out this live stream to get a better idea for mat inventory system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkMaNWiKg0&t=317s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6dhCycYAJQ&t=1519s

I would watch that portion of the livestream again. If I understood them correctly, what happened is that all the crates fell from the caravan, which potentially contain more goods than any raiding party could carry, however, it's impossible for them to access those quantities out in the field anyway. If the raiding party decides to crack all the crates in the field, they're only granted a much smaller quantity of the goods than what were originally packed in them, and the rest becomes forfeit. Not able to be stolen or recovered. Some raiding parties, especially PUGs (I think this is a massive flaw in the system rn) who're just "clicking here to join" will likely just zerg the crates, take a bit of stuff for their 5-10 minutes of effort, disband, and run away.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited February 5
    i dont mind there being spell that takes time to do to delay them from opening chests when caravan is destroyed like 2 minutes sealing them would take 2 minutes to unseal them for example

You couldnt even go with fancy lock boxes that cost resource's to craft however u need a rogue and some time to unlock them aswell the time is determined via quality of the lock box

First one trades defenders time for attackers time and 2nd option trades defenders money for attackers time.

That being said i dont think it realy worth the addition development time to put in said systems cause i feel most people will just run them as is instead of worrying bout the fiddly pieces but who knows