Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I just wanna travel around Verra

Taking into account the game and node mechanics, the limited fast travel, the limited inventory space and citizenship privilege in the game, I'm thinking that AoC is hoping for you to settle and help locally rather than explore the world.

I really like traveling and adventuring to new places and bro, Verra is a great world to explore.

What are your thoughts about this matter?

Will I feel constrained or will I have the freedom to explore and witness great things around the world?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    You might be attacked by some rando for no real reason, but the chance of that is quite low.

Some locations might have hardcore mobs that could prevent you from exploring deeper into a location, but we don't know how long the leashes will be, so you might be able to outrun them on a mount.

In other words, there could be some difficulties but I think they'll be relatively easily overcomable. And I'm gonna be doing the same, definitely want to explore every corner of the game.
  • Options
    Yeah, right?
    Maybe my starting point will be in the riverlands, but what about the islands or snowy mountains? I know that not everyone will start at the same place, but sooner or later I wanna explore every place, every land, I wanna know it all.
  • Options
    CadacCadac Member
    As they have made the world much bigger, this may allow for some joy-riding/exploration, while avoiding others some.
  • Options
    I think that the game is going to encourage you to stay in your own ecosystem, but that doesn't mean you're locked to it. I hope that traveling is going to actually feel like an adventure. You'll be exploring new lands, meeting new people, seeing new node developments, and after a week of running around you'll find a place you like and settle in a little more.

I believe you'll be able to use warehouses at any node and therefore you should be able to explore and gather materials on your adventure. You'll just have to caravan them back home or sell them before you head back. I could be wrong about that though.. the wiki wasn't super clear on that.
  • Options
    Anyone who needs materials for crafting/processing will be highly encouraged to travel around; Even if someone doesn't travel much themselves, you will see a lot of travellers.

Dungeons, raids, castle sieges, and world bosses will also have to be travelled to, so I'm not much worried about being "bound" to a home-Node.

• Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    definitely want to explore every corner of the game.

Exploring should be encouraged and rewarded.

I think People will miss out greatly, if they don't want to visit every little Corner and cranny around the World of Verra. From the highest Mountain Peaks, down to the deepest ravines of the Underda~ ... ... Underground.

Visit all the Isles, Visit every Place that is either easily accessable or really hard to reach,

see it all and then bring an awesome Tale to tell back Home. Maybe a neat handful of Achievements, too.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Exploration is my highest enjoyment. Glad to see others who share that same wanderlust.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Exploration will certainly be a big focus for players when the game is fresh out. As they learn the zones more they will likely become less adventurous. Been there, done that. Loss of mystery of what is over the next hill.... etc. The further intrepid is with the game will also alter things. Oh there is a new zone, now you have ships to go into the sea, now your node is leveled enough to possibly fast travel. These sorts of adjustments will alter how people choose to travel and to what zones as well.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    RazThemun wrote: »
    Exploration will certainly be a big focus for players when the game is fresh out. As they learn the zones more they will likely become less adventurous. Been there, done that. Loss of mystery of what is over the next hill.... etc. The further intrepid is with the game will also alter things. Oh there is a new zone, now you have ships to go into the sea, now your node is leveled enough to possibly fast travel. These sorts of adjustments will alter how people choose to travel and to what zones as well.

I think Hogwarts Legacy is a good example of a game with good exploration (There's many things devs missed an opportunity on tho). But every time I do explore in HL, there's always some hidden passage, crypt, secret room i find that I never paid any attention to before. I hope Intrepid incorporate some of that in the world of Verra so you're always surprised by the things you find when you're out adventuring.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    Games always have a way of letting the player explore most of the world, I’m sure the quest line will take us all around Vera
    Guess we will find out in 4ish months time
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You can explore as much as you like - just be prepared to die.
    Especially on the Open Seas.
  • Options
    Nexus777 wrote: »
    Taking into account the game and node mechanics, the limited fast travel, the limited inventory space and citizenship privilege in the game, I'm thinking that AoC is hoping for you to settle and help locally rather than explore the world.

I really like traveling and adventuring to new places and bro, Verra is a great world to explore.

Will I feel constrained or will I have the freedom to explore and witness great things around the world?

I aim at a similar thing and from what I have seen so far it is perfectly possible.
    First, I'll need to find a coastal Node of any size, preferably Tier 3-4 though (taxes would probably be a bit lower & maintenance of that node will be easier plus the risk of being sieges will be lower if the node is not the dominant one in the region), and get a citizenship there.

Next I get myself a home to store some of the things I collect during my travels.

Gear and bag choice will primarily go towards movement speed and "safe slots" in bags rather than for quantity, to avoid losing it all during inevitable PvP encounters. Same goes for my class choice, which will probably be the Scout - keep a distance, keep in the shadows, stay safe.

With that I honestly think, being a globetrotter will be no issue at all.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options

The game will need players that stay put, and it will need players that move around. Play however you will get the most enjoyment from the game.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Exploration is my highest enjoyment. Glad to see others who share that same wanderlust.

Exploration in VideoGames was always one of my highest Hobbies since the Millennia.

When the early Dark Project (Thief) Stealth Series hit,
    in the first two Games, i searched for " BOXES " ingame in the Levels i was in - > stacked them in Places where they were usually never meant to be all together,

and then used it, to climb up Walls and reach Rooftops, that normally the Player shouldn't be able to reach. 😁

Yes, all for the sole Purpose of Fun and to find out what would await in Place normally out of reach. ;)

Sometimes i found a neat, few Meters of Surface animated, visible and so on.

Sometimes, i found Places where the Textures "suddenly" broke off - and i realised i found the "Edge of the World" that was normally supposed to stay hidden. 😁

I completely forgot and lost track with how many Games i actually did this. But i did this with quite many Games and i always had a lot of Fun with it.

When long back in World of WoW-Token Craft, Burning Crusade came out,

and People could use "flying Mounts" in Outland -> my Brother and i used a "Jumping-Trick" to climb Mountain Walls in Northshire from Elwynn Forest,

reaching the River northern from it -> that One could normally only see from the back of an automatically generated Gryphon. ;)

My Brother once even managed to jump/climb up to the " OUTSIDE/Outer World "-Version of the Balcony of Blackwinglair - the Place where You fight the Black Dragon Nefarian as an Endboss on.

That was easily Three to Four Years, before the "Classic-World" was revamped into this Monstrosity that is the Cataclysm-World and in which People could also use flying Mounts in. 😅

In " Gothic ",

i found out that when i transform into a "Blood-Fly",
    you know these huge, nasty looking Moscito-thingies -> you could simply " PASS THROUGH " the Barrier. 🤣

Why ?

Well simply because the "Blood-Fly Model" - > had no Knock-back Engine and Animation. The magical Barrier around the Mine Valley couldn't push/kick you back towards it's Center, when You came close enough to the Edge.

Tadaaa !!! 😁 Great, magical Barrier escaped. And i had to turn only into an Insect to pull it of. (lol)

I had so much Fun in so many 3D-World VideoGames ONLY because of Exploration alone,

fun that i think i maybe wasn't even supposed to have - but it added nicely to the Fun the Games provided anyway,
    i can only recommend and suggest to People to play VideoGames as an Explorer.

Sure,
    sometimes your VideoGame Character dies. Maybe you lose some Stuff that you carry in your Pockets. But this is a Risk one must be willing to take. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Kilion wrote: »

I aim at a similar thing and from what I have seen so far it is perfectly possible.
    First, I'll need to find a coastal Node of any size, preferably Tier 3-4 though (taxes would probably be a bit lower & maintenance of that node will be easier plus the risk of being sieges will be lower if the node is not the dominant one in the region), and get a citizenship there.

Next I get myself a home to store some of the things I collect during my travels.

Gear and bag choice will primarily go towards movement speed and "safe slots" in bags rather than for quantity, to avoid losing it all during inevitable PvP encounters. Same goes for my class choice, which will probably be the Scout - keep a distance, keep in the shadows, stay safe.

With that I honestly think, being a globetrotter will be no issue at all.

Really like your idea. I'll take it into consideration.
  • Options
    Im hoping that the randomness of the node system and leveling the world doesnt hinder the exploration part. If everywhere i go is barren wilderness (which i highly doubt) then for me the game is lacking. The apparent water stuff sounds interesting but im just going to assume itll be a second thought like most games so i dont ingest too much copium
  • Options
    Im hoping that the randomness of the node system and leveling the world doesnt hinder the exploration part. If everywhere i go is barren wilderness (which i highly doubt) then for me the game is lacking. The apparent water stuff sounds interesting but im just going to assume itll be a second thought like most games so i dont ingest too much copium

Just wait for the Alpha 2, that should clear up a lot of uncertainty around the current system design and offer a lot of opportunities to offer feedback.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<