Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is the World Flat ?

Basically, what I said in the title, I was wondering if the world map was actually a globe or flat with edges. I think it would drastically change trade routes and potentially alliances, etc. For example, the Elven Forest to the far east of the map would be relatively limited in cross-continent trade and alliances, water content, etc., on a flat world. On a globe, on the other hand, it would open a whole new ocean and many new trade and political options. Do we already have information on this ? What do you think would be cooler ?
For the empyre !!!

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The playable area is "flat". No wrap-around. The planet is probably round but we can't traverse the entire planet.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    The playable area is "flat". No wrap-around. The planet is probably round but we can't traverse the entire planet.

Ok, I hope the borders wont seem too forced then but i trust they know what theyre doing.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    All the borders are out in the ocean, so we'll have to see I guess. Honestly my guess is a magic wall as we are used to from other games.
  • Options
    jv11bdong00j.gif
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Nerror wrote: »

Well said :)

You can read about this and many other facets of Ashes of Creation here, on the wiki! @oOLu_BuOo
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    It's best having a flat planet and have a border on the map,this leaves room for future expansions
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I’ll tell you when I get there.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    jv11bdong00j.gif

Haha! I saw this in theaters as a teen in the 90's. Probably many peoples' paranoia - until you live long enough for life's bluntness to knock the sense, into you.

Aye, I believe this was also commented on in an update. The game world itself will not have "bent horizons", as the Earth does - and no wrap.

• Options
    I'm hoping for a pirates of the Caribbean type of edge of the map, where it just waterfalls off into a void. The water's current could become progressively stronger and if you don't have a fast enough ship, or the wind is against you, you can't get out of the current and get thrown over the edge.
  • Options
    jv11bdong00j.gif

Haha! I saw this in theaters as a teen in the 90's.

Such an awesome movie. I still class it as a horror movie.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I'm hoping for a pirates of the Caribbean type of edge of the map, where it just waterfalls off into a void. The water's current could become progressively stronger and if you don't have a fast enough ship, or the wind is against you, you can't get out of the current and get thrown over the edge.

Haha! I would love to be able to sail off the edge of the world.

This would be the *ultimate* "edge of the world".

• Options
    edited February 7
    Someone had actually created a great gif of the world of Verra as a planet and it looked so good.

Here's a similar one I found but not so great:
    441kvrooz86d.gif
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    oOHadesOooOHadesOo Member
    edited February 7
    Someone had actually created a great gif of the world of Verra as a planet and it looked so good.

Here's a similar one I found but not so great:
    441kvrooz86d.gif

Honestly this is the old map but it looks super cool,without having actually tested either version yet i think id probably like round more then a flat world but the flat world does add some inerrresting mechanics, like marine focused players and guilds will all basically be on one side of each continent only while the other side of the continent focuses more on land power. I hope this wont lead into crazy gatekeeping giving everyone who seddles towars the travable ocean a clear advantage over everyone who doesnt want to seddle on that side. Since only one side rly has good access to cross continental trade on each continent.
    For the empyre !!!