Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Verra's penal island

Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
edited February 8 in General Discussion
I'd create a penal island, kinda like the real-life Devil's Island.

This island would be an isolated spot, maybe right in the middle of Tradewind Sea, with the sea as its only escape route. NPCs would run a ferry service for arrivals and departures, and freedom would only come after serving your time. Players acting as pirates could even ambush the ferry to free prisoners.

At the same time, to those stuck on the island would have a chance to gather materials, do PvE to keep the prision in good shape (cooking, repairing, cleaning, etc), and build their own ships to escape long before their sentence ends. This might mean PvP showdowns or cooperation, and the use of work skills. The island should be not very bountyful on resources, so folks would have to fight or team up for to escape.

The other players in the server could sail over there to rescue their criminal friends, or rescue anyone on the shore for maybe for a price, but such rescuers risk getting a criminal record themselves.

Law-abiding players could hunt down criminals to shorten their sentences by killing them, the more gold the prisioner lose due to repairing gear the more time will be shorten from his sentence.

This concept includes:
  1. A roaming penal island, where you can roam arround and complete PvE for the prisional system or do your own thing
  2. PvE tasks to shorten sentences
  3. The option to AFK until your time's up
  4. Building a ship for escape
  5. Rescues by mercenaries or criminal pals
  6. Ferry ambushes for freeing prisoners
  7. A playground for players to form criminal networks and fight over turf
  8. No boring jail cells—just good times chatting and causing chaos

I've done time in Ultima Online's jails—it was a blast, just fighting the other inmates and sometimes chilling. But a penal island, that would be like a carnival park for the server's merriest players, it's an island where you fight and rob everybody else

Enemies of the state, bandits, corrupted, bad mayors, etc, I can think of many reasons why someone could be sent to the island
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lmao peen.

y9w9k1bh1i8z.png
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 8
    Interesting, you know while in the penal colony they could fulfill orders and work details at the mayors digression. And possibly the more orders they filled, would result in a time reduction for good behavior.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Absolutely NO AFK for time being served, that totally defeats the punishment. You would just move your character there then take a nap or eat or whatever.

But I don't think that AoC needs any type of jail punishment in the first place, the current system looks excellent without it.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Absolutely NO AFK for time being served, that totally defeats the punishment. You would just move your character there then take a nap or eat or whatever.

But I don't think that AoC needs any type of jail punishment in the first place, the current system looks excellent without it.

For now I'm content with seeing how they implement the corruption system, I don't mind discussing other ideas for the future if they choose to amend their system or add to it.

For me it all depends on how they handle people getting rid of their corruption, going into their house which has already been stated bounty hunters won't be able to enter, having a friend or other account kill their player in case any loot is dropped.

Removing corruption

The primary means to remove corruption is through death. Multiple deaths may be necessary to remove all corruption.[44][27]

Dying removes a significant portion of a player's corruption score.[45]

Players are resilient at finding loopholes, Alpha 2 should discover these issues quickly, and hopefully resolved within the current system.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I prefer "angry villagers with pitchforks" kind of justice, rather than the "you get teleported to a completely separate location where you're locked up doing random shit" kind.
  • Options
    edited February 8

The punishment is not a punishment at all, its another branch of content, that's all. The island itself is a place where all the no good people will be your neighbours so you can taste your own poison and be away from others.

Being away from others is why jails exist, that is the purpose of a jail

ANYWAY, the corrupted will get the corruption system and bandits and other kinds of people are not covered by the corruption
  • Options
    ILLPeonU wrote: »

For now I'm content with seeing how they implement the corruption system, I don't mind discussing other ideas for the future if they choose to amend their system or add to it.

For me it all depends on how they handle people getting rid of their corruption, going into their house which has already been stated bounty hunters won't be able to enter, having a friend or other account kill their player in case any loot is dropped.

Removing corruption

The primary means to remove corruption is through death. Multiple deaths may be necessary to remove all corruption.[44][27]

Dying removes a significant portion of a player's corruption score.[45]

Players are resilient at finding loopholes, Alpha 2 should discover these issues quickly, and hopefully resolved within the current system.

I believe the penal island would mostly harbor bandits, the corruption system doesnt covert bandits

Some bandits for sure will deal milions of gold in wagons destruction and among other things
  • Options
    edited February 8
    NiKr wrote: »
    I prefer "angry villagers with pitchforks" kind of justice, rather than the "you get teleported to a completely separate location where you're locked up doing random shit" kind.

That other thing will have to rely on the corruption system

TODAY there is nothing solid against caravan bandits and bad mayors, you won't be able to do nothing about them in today's system except for pk them
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I'll be running 'cruise' ships at an premium price to Peenal Island for all you degenerate ERP'ers ;) Sign up today!
    Silliness aside, it's an interesting idea. I remember the jail system in Archeage was pretty meh.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    TODAY there is nothing solid against caravan bandits and bad mayors, you won't be able to do nothing about them in today's system except for pk them
    And I don't want anything to be done to them with an in-game system. That's a totally political thing.

I'd be fine with extending BH functionality to seeing high ranking bandits on the map and potentially even ability to kill them on sight, but that would definitely need to be extensively tested.

But I'm definitely against jail system because I see them as boring content.
  • Options
    Too close to Penile Island for me.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This whole thing seems to me like a lot of work for no real gain.

What would need to happen is Intrepid would need to implement a crime system that somehow doesn't interfere with the corruption system. It would need to penalise more than just murder - but theft isn't currently an option in Ashes so that may well need to be added in as well. Seemingly there is also a desire to have a punishment for bad mayors, so adding this would require defining what a bad mayor is and then implementing what ever checks that definition determines need to be added. Then there would also need to be some sort of court system - or some other transitional system in place to go from committing a crime to being sent to this island.

All of the above and the only gain from it essentially amounts to an RP island. You can just get a group of people together and do everything in your list without needing all of the above work to be done. I mean, you can build a ship, you can do some PvE and leave sooner, you can afk if you want to, you can pretend rescue your mates from a prison ship if you want - none of the above needs this multitude of systems in place in order to do, if that is what you want to do.
  • Options
    A form of impeachment would be fun, If it was somehow FAIR, which if in the players hand we know would be abused. I hate being resigned to the fact we might have to deal with a troll mayor for 30 days. there should be SOMETHING going into it where they know if they abuse it their can be consequences.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    And I don't want anything to be done to them with an in-game system. That's a totally political thing.

I'd be fine with extending BH functionality to seeing high ranking bandits on the map and potentially even ability to kill them on sight, but that would definitely need to be extensively tested.

But I'm definitely against jail system because I see them as boring content.

That would be a good option too, expanding the bounty hunter
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    This whole thing seems to me like a lot of work for no real gain.

What would need to happen is Intrepid would need to implement a crime system that somehow doesn't interfere with the corruption system. It would need to penalise more than just murder - but theft isn't currently an option in Ashes so that may well need to be added in as well. Seemingly there is also a desire to have a punishment for bad mayors, so adding this would require defining what a bad mayor is and then implementing what ever checks that definition determines need to be added. Then there would also need to be some sort of court system - or some other transitional system in place to go from committing a crime to being sent to this island.

All of the above and the only gain from it essentially amounts to an RP island. You can just get a group of people together and do everything in your list without needing all of the above work to be done. I mean, you can build a ship, you can do some PvE and leave sooner, you can afk if you want to, you can pretend rescue your mates from a prison ship if you want - none of the above needs this multitude of systems in place in order to do, if that is what you want to do.

Well, it is a form of content and most of the work Intrepid will have done anyway, there's PvE tasks, etc.

All these things here are not related to corruption anyway, but for sure corrupted could be sent there and let the guy suffer in the hands of other criminals.

I wouldn't sugest if I thought that such a place would be 100% new, in fact it is Intrepid would just reuse basic things they already have planned.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Reasons why people should be exiled to Verra's "Devil's Island":
    1. Mayors of military nodes who suffer a catastrophic defeat
    2. Mayors of economic nodes who drive the node into poverty
    3. Mayors of scientific and divine nodes would also have grounds for exile
    4. Individuals who violate node policies, such as prohibited hunting, logging, or involvement in the black market, could face a sentence there for petty and non-violent crimes..
    5. Bandits operating within your node's influence area who are caught repeating offenses..
    6. Enemies of the state..
    7. Bandits who attack and are apprehended attacking mayoral caravans
    8. Corrupted players captured by bounty hunters in divine nodes
    9. Pirates bandits caught at the sea but still in the node area of influence
    10. people who are repeatdly AFK in arena matches
    11. people who spam in local chat

In the future, there may be numerous additional reasons, including events happening during wars, at sea, or even for PvE related infractions

PEople could be sentenced from a day to an entire month, with the option to reduce their sentences by running PvE missions on the island, this is the baseline for sentence reduction
  • Options
    Such island should be purple only
  • Options
    hmm...
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    Better allow 2-3 nodes outside of the 5 metropolises ZoI to accept corrupted players.
    The area near those nodes should be like the deep ocean.
    Citizens of those nodes should be purple on the entire map.
  • Options

This island would be an isolated spot, maybe right in the middle of Tradewind Sea, with the sea as its only escape route. NPCs would run a ferry service for arrivals and departures, and freedom would only come after serving your time. Players acting as pirates could even ambush the ferry to free prisoners.

At the same time, to those stuck on the island would have a chance to gather materials, do PvE to keep the prision in good shape (cooking, repairing, cleaning, etc), and build their own ships to escape long before their sentence ends. This might mean PvP showdowns or cooperation, and the use of work skills. The island should be not very bountyful on resources, so folks would have to fight or team up for to escape.

The other players in the server could sail over there to rescue their criminal friends, or rescue anyone on the shore for maybe for a price, but such rescuers risk getting a criminal record themselves.

Law-abiding players could hunt down criminals to shorten their sentences by killing them, the more gold the prisioner lose due to repairing gear the more time will be shorten from his sentence.

This concept includes:
    1. A roaming penal island, where you can roam arround and complete PvE for the prisional system or do your own thing

I've done time in Ultima Online's jails—it was a blast, just fighting the other inmates and sometimes chilling. But a penal island, that would be like a carnival park for the server's merriest players, it's an island where you fight and rob everybody else

Enemies of the state, bandits, corrupted, bad mayors, etc, I can think of many reasons why someone could be sent to the island

It would be funny if it works kind of like a node where the more people are there and gather, craft, etc., the more experience the island node gets, eventually turning into higher-security prisons and eventually into basically Impel Down from One Piece. That way, if there are a lot of red players on a server, then it becomes hard for them to break out and leave the island, and more likely that they have to sit there their whole time until they are not corrupted anymore. But if there are not too many red players, then the prison is less secure, and the chance of you leaving before serving your sentence is higher.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    oOLu_BuOo wrote: »

This concept includes:

It would be funny if it works kind of like a node where the more people are there and gather, craft, etc., the more experience the island node gets, eventually turning into higher-security prisons and eventually into basically Impel Down from One Piece. That way, if there are a lot of red players on a server, then it becomes hard for them to break out and leave the island, and more likely that they have to sit there their whole time until they are not corrupted anymore. But if there are not too many red players, then the prison is less secure, and the chance of you leaving before serving your sentence is higher.

That's a solid line of thinking