Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Starting Areas

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Starting areas are located near one of the four divine gateways where players spawn into the world.

The Tulnar have a starting area without a divine gateway. They have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways as other races.

Starting areas have some distance between them.

Players may choose their starting gateway regardless of their choice of race.

That's the direct information from the Wiki, now for the question.

Do you think we need more starting locations for such a vast map?

And do you plan on stopping at the closest node to start with?

Personally, I think a few more starting locations would be a good idea, to help break up the population. I fear many people will just run to the first node they see.

What does everyone think?
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn

Comments

• Options
    I hope that developers will increase the respawn rate of mobs in starting areas, especially during the initial influx of new players. Melee classes might still face some challenges, as they need to approach their targets closely, whereas players with ranged attacks can eliminate them from a distance.
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    Flanker wrote: »
    I hope that developers will increase the respawn rate of mobs in starting areas, especially during the initial influx of new players. Melee classes might still face some challenges, as they need to approach their targets closely, whereas players with ranged attacks can eliminate them from a distance.

Ya I'm concerned with too much saturation in quest areas and grinding spots.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I prefer the current design :)
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited February 17
    Flanker wrote: »

I dunno if it will be neccesary, the world progresses based on node progression so one would think it quite possible when the whole map is wilderness nodes then it quite possible all the mobs in the world will be low level to start with allow people to spread out from starting area to progress nodes elsewhere.

So it is possible everyone part of the map could be a lowbie zone when server opens up and grow in level as nodes progress, this also would reduce players being able to get to far ahead no lifeing the game since XP option will be lower until world nodes catch up with there level potentialy.

Will have to see how thing look when they A2 comes round though

they probaly dont want everyone to hang out in starting zones cause on every server nodes around the starting area will out progress every node since more player around doing things which would make basicly the 4 closest cities to the nodes most likly to be metro across all servers so will see i guess
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think 4 is fine. The starter areas aren't small places. All the pre-made organized guilds will leave the area immediately and go to their pre-designated nodes and work on them to beat the other guilds to the punch. The race to Metro will be tough, but it's quite possible the sheer numbers of players near the starting areas will cause the first 4 metros to appear near them as well. I also think that is a good idea in many ways. New players in the world coming in in the months after release will have a nearby built up node and lots of other players to interact with.

As the server matures, those metros will probably get sieged to make room for metros in other places, and that is a great way to keep the server active I think.

With more starting locations, I am not sure we'll get quite the same effect. I don't want the organized guilds to just have it all from the start. They should have to work for it.
  • Options
    I think it needs to be made really clear to players in game that you can travel to other low level nodes from the start. Maybe an early game quest that sends you to neighbouring nodes to spread people out.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The fact that there is no fast travel also impacts this. There will be no trees for miles (is that the unit of measurement used in Verra?).
  • Options
    ILLPeonU wrote: »
    Starting areas are located near one of the four divine gateways where players spawn into the world.

The Tulnar have a starting area without a divine gateway. They have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways as other races.

Starting areas have some distance between them.

Players may choose their starting gateway regardless of their choice of race.

That's the direct information from the Wiki, now for the question.

Do you think we need more starting locations for such a vast map?

And do you plan on stopping at the closest node to start with?

Personally, I think a few more starting locations would be a good idea, to help break up the population. I fear many people will just run to the first node they see.

What does everyone think?

Ahoi again. ;)

I just realised i have absolutely no Idea how many starting Area's there are. If they are limited to like just a handful or so - then this is not unlikely to have the World segmented into Area's with different Levels of Mobs inside.

Vanilla Ashes Maxlevel is Fifty, right ? So i assume if there are only a few Starting Area's on like every Continent - this will be so that all the other Area's can be higher Level Area's where only levelled Characters will be strong enough to face the Challenges to come.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    "Starting areas (starting zones) are located in the ruined cities of the four ancient races of Verra.[3]

Starting areas are located near one of the four divine gateways where players spawn into the world.[3][4]
    The Tulnar have a starting area without a divine gateway.[5][6] They have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways as other races.[7]"

The above is from the wiki. It implies four divine gateways/starting areas and (if I understand correctly) a fifth starting area just for Tulnar. That one could be in the Under-realm, but that is just my speculation.

@Fantmx In Alpha 1 the starting area was ruins that were just being mildly rehabilitated. As soon as you were out the gate, there were fields and forests, rivers, eventually plains and deserts and the ocean. So I do not understand why you say "there will be no trees for miles". They seem to use kilometers, as they have done when describing the size of the world (from the wiki):

"World size
    1,200 km2 (square kilometers) is the expected total world size of Verra at launch, including land (480 km2) and water/ocean (750 km2), but excluding the size of the Underrealm.[2]

This has increased from the previously stated total size of 480 km2 including land and water/ocean[35][36][37]; but excluding an additional ~100 km2 of Underrealm.[38]"
  • Options
    Fantmx wrote: »
    The fact that there is no fast travel also impacts this. There will be no trees for miles (is that the unit of measurement used in Verra?).

Kilometers. Verran kilometers that is.

Because they went metric before The Fall.

The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    Ya just curious how traffic will disperse itself, and have they said when is the soonest you can attack another node to start bring the level down?
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Stage 3 Village is the starting point for Sieges.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tautau wrote: »
    "Starting areas (starting zones) are located in the ruined cities of the four ancient races of Verra.[3]

Starting areas are located near one of the four divine gateways where players spawn into the world.[3][4]
    The Tulnar have a starting area without a divine gateway.[5][6] They have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways as other races.[7]"

The above is from the wiki. It implies four divine gateways/starting areas and (if I understand correctly) a fifth starting area just for Tulnar. That one could be in the Under-realm, but that is just my speculation.

@Fantmx In Alpha 1 the starting area was ruins that were just being mildly rehabilitated. As soon as you were out the gate, there were fields and forests, rivers, eventually plains and deserts and the ocean. So I do not understand why you say "there will be no trees for miles". They seem to use kilometers, as they have done when describing the size of the world (from the wiki):

"World size
    1,200 km2 (square kilometers) is the expected total world size of Verra at launch, including land (480 km2) and water/ocean (750 km2), but excluding the size of the Underrealm.[2]

This has increased from the previously stated total size of 480 km2 including land and water/ocean[35][36][37]; but excluding an additional ~100 km2 of Underrealm.[38]"

Are we really comparing the starting area of alpha 1 to alpha 2?