Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Instance map for building creativity

SmaashleySmaashley Member
edited February 20 in General Discussion
EDIT : I KNOW IT'S NOT A SURVIVAL CRAFTING GAME

Hello, I didn't see anything on that regard on wiki or something, so I would like to bring an idea. Do you think it could fit the game for an after release patch/DLC. I don't know how much effort it would take or if it's doable. I'll let the discussion do its thing.

With the indepth crafting/gathering and processing professions we have access in AoC, there could be some place in the game to bring some crafting/building just like in survival games.

The general idea would be that a guild leader or every individual could choose a part of the map of their likings with a bird-eye view from the sky (ex.: 100m x 100m, but could be a progression path to have more area) and make that area an instanced map where everyone (within setting limits or public : only guild members, only family, only friends list, etc) can join at anytime.

What can we do in that area ?

- From materials we gather and craft in Verra, we could have access to processing building materials so we can build our own houses or even build a town for our guildmates with structures that would be taken and processed directly from the nature of Verra;
- Allow players to modify the ground level with tools crafted from professions so we can better fit our structures;

My main idea was to let people build and be creative with Verra's gatherables by constructing our own houses just like in survival games (ex.: Enshrouded) but this would be instanced, PvP disabled, and other things you could judge necessary.

Let me know what you guys think. I won't be offended if people don't like it, because it would be the first time I suggest an idea like that in an MMO. I believe in doing things others never did and be creative. Just throwing a discussion. 😉

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Sounds like smth Ashes 2 would have. Don't really see this working for Ashes, mainly because it completely separates people from other people, which is the opposite of what Intrepid is going for.
  • Options
    edited February 20
    NiKr wrote: »
    Sounds like smth Ashes 2 would have. Don't really see this working for Ashes, mainly because it completely separates people from other people, which is the opposite of what Intrepid is going for.

Well, as another example, I can only do arena PvP and never play open world. That would separate me from others isn't it ? The idea is still a social experimentation. You can build with others/friends. Pax Dei showed how social building can be successful with their alpha building.
  • Options
    edited February 20

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Smaashley wrote: »
    Well, as another example, I can only do arena PvP and never play open world. That would separate me from others isn't it ? The idea is still a social experimentation. You can build with others/friends. Pax Dei showed how social building can be successful with their alpha building.
    We don't know if there's gonna be a limit on how many times you can do arena per day, while I'd imagine that putting limits on your suggestion would defeat the purpose.

As for PD - wasn't the entire point of that social building to have it in the open world, so that others see what you've built? Though again, Ashes is not a survival game, so building stuff is not really a feature they've talked about.
  • Options
    I don't think they talked about it as well. My idea of instanced map is because Intrepid probably wouldn't want people to build in their world they hardly worked on for years. In my idea, instanced just means that it's not part of Verra in the open world, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that anyone from the server and/or other servers can join this instanced map to help you build within it and have fun being creative with Verra's gatherables.
  • Options
    I guess it's too early to talk about future patches and DLCs taking into account the fact that we are not even in Alpha 2 phase, no matter what they are. We need to see the game first and based on that, we could determine the vector of future development. The number of existing systems and features in game is huge already
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I don't think they talked about it as well. My idea of instanced map is because Intrepid probably wouldn't want people to build in their world they hardly worked on for years. In my idea, instanced just means that it's not part of Verra in the open world, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that anyone from the server and/or other servers can join this instanced map to help you build within it and have fun being creative with Verra's gatherables.
    Which is why I said that this is a feature for an Ashes 2 rather than the current design. Currently the game is about Intrepid-built world and player interaction within it, with only a fraction of this world being instanced (mostly to let people do the story w/o anyone disturbing them).

We could've been building stuff on our freeholds, but we can only choose from given options rather than creating smth of our own. Which tells me that player-built stuff is simply not in the design for the game.

If that design preference changes later on - it'd be fine to use your suggestion, though even then I highly doubt that Steven would go for the instanced part of it.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    - Allow players to modify the ground level with tools crafted from professions so we can better fit our structures;

I've seen somewhere recently that this is not going to happen, not even for freeholds being placed on uneven terrain.

Theoretically they could create some empty space under freeholds to let you build like dwarves under mountain. Or tulnars could have suspended freeholds on underground stone pillars and empty space above.
    But I would prefer such creative constructions to not be instances. You could lock doors and block access but thieves should be able to sneak in and see what you do there.