Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

About Caravans on Rivers

SherkusSherkus Member, Alpha One
I understand the point of view that currently caravans on the water are "untouchable".

But we are forgetting a very important factor, and it is because of the current state of the game that we don't see it.

Water mounts (t1) are going to allow us to attack caravans when they are converted into rafts, as well as affect them with slowdown abilities, etc.

I think it is important to understand the current context, and requiring Intrepid for example a mechanic for Alpha 2 that then has to be removed perhaps causes us to lose useful development time.

Also with tier 2 mounts (gliders) we will be able to glide from land to the raft, perhaps with some difficulty, but it will be feasible.

On the other hand we could also have the ability to summon small ships that allow us to simply raid the raft, but without the ability to have cannons, at most for example a hook like the Archeage clipper ships had.

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    If you're within the caravan's event zone and are an attacker, anyone on that river caravan will be able to stun/slow/stop/atk you on your mount. And there's gonna be abilities that can knock you off your mount, which would mean that not only would you be stranded in the middle of the river, but you'd then be a target to uninterrupted attacks, if the defenders see that as beneficial.

Gliders might get into a similar situation, if those "knock off" abilities have a quick enough cast time.

Obviously the attackers might always try and overwhelm the defenders, but if you had the numbers to do that with mounts - why didn't you do that before the caravan even got into the river.
  • Options
    SherkusSherkus Member, Alpha One
    But it is normal that the members of the raft can defend themselves and get off the mount, as well as the mounts have skills, sprints and charges for example to be able to approach you.

And maybe they are another different group which attack your raft, maybe it is simply the group that already attacked and you beat them previously and they have returned, the magic of MMORPG's is that they are really situational, you have to see all the options.

And that's why I also comment that you can add that ability, have small ships that allow the function to approach you, that yes... if you do that, do not forget that the defenders could also take out those ships, thus causing bodyblock, etc...
  • Options
    You could probably attack from the sides of the river. Steven said, its on purpose, that the rivers does not have alot of places where you can build/rebuild into a wagon. Thats means, that the caravan can be attacked from the cliffs on each side. So if you know the area, you will probably have a good idea on where to attack.
  • Options
    I guess it's fine if there is a bit fewer opportunities to be attacked on the raft. Risk vs Reward, remember? You spent a few minutes to transform your caravan to raft, then you have to convert it back again AND attackers know that. Seems pretty good to me
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    Sherkus wrote: »
    On the other hand we could also have the ability to summon small ships that allow us to simply raid the raft, but without the ability to have cannons, at most for example a hook like the Archeage clipper ships had.

Canoe's, Dinghy's, etc.,

Is there a Statement at all that we can build them ? Because if People can build Rafts and even up to Ships, i don't see why they shouldn't be able to build other Vessels as well. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why do people think caravans are unattackable when they are on the water? Was that said somewhere?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Why do people think caravans are unattackable when they are on the water? Was that said somewhere?
    They are attackable, but not even close to optimally. Mainly because if you're in the middle of the river, even the ranged attacks might not reach the caravan.