Sport Fishing

TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
What fishing system would you like to see in Ashes of Creation?

And should Sport fishing on the open seas yield the best profits from gathering?

I'm of the belief that Archeage had some of the best fishing I have ever experienced in a game, and a highly proficient fisherman could make hundreds of gold a day, not without risk of course as you always had the dangers of someone boarding you and killing you, selling your fish and then ramming your boat into a Island.

What game had a fishing system you loved and why?

And are you ok with fishing being the top gold earner for gatherers in Ashes? (because if it's not there's a problem)
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's PM Cst And
Wednesday's at PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn/featured

Comments

• I love fishing in MMO's and iam really excited how they will approach this Job.
    I hope they implement a way to catch not only fish but also other rare goods.

In WoW you can catch things like crates and chests with different loot types.
    You could even catch Pets or Mounts on a very low rate.

In FFXIV theres a chance to catch ultra Rare fish with specific baits that are only avaiable during a thunderstorm or stuff like that.

Thats what im looking forward to.
    I think stuff like that makes fishing always really enjoyable and fun.
    uwu
  • TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes, even new world had chests you could find with fishing, those mechanics did make it a bit more interesting. I loved the Huge fish in Archeage you could catch, and the fact you take any sport fish and make a trophy out of it for your house!
    Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• AszkalonAszkalon Member
    ILLPeonU wrote: »
    What game had a fishing system you loved and why ?

Sea of Thieves and Ocarina of Time have good fishing Systems, with my Impression that of Sea of Thieves being superior. You must actually concentrate and don't fall asleep while you do it, hahah.

World of WoW-Token-Craft also has a neat System, but it consists only out of two Clicks at the right Time to haul in a fish. So not as nice as Sea of Thieves. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • TheHiddenDaggerInnTheHiddenDaggerInn Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I just want to see, the water physics for sure from Sea of Thieves, might be the best water in any game!
    Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited March 3
    I don't think I would want loot chests or anything. I don't like it when games put random overpowered loot in fishing

What would make sense would be to tie it into animal husbandry. Have valuable catches used as powerful ingredients for cooking or potions or feed for animals.

Edit: Basically make it a valuable part of the existing economy with loot that makes sense.

Deep sea fishing also gives pirates something to do while waiting for prey
  • DepravedDepraved Member
    the only fishing i like is bdo fishing because i can do it afk :D i hate fishing
    Depraved wrote: »
    the only fishing i like is bdo fishing because i can do it afk :D i hate fishing

I only hate fishing in real life, and the game wardens really from on my bringing shotguns and dynamite :(
    Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• FlankerFlanker Member
    Am I the only one who is very curious about the treasure that be obtained via fishing?
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • When it comes to fishing in games, I am a sucker for super rare loot/events associated with the fishing.

I will never, ever forget the laughs I had with my friends tried a small indie hack n slash game and went fishing... suddenly a huge frog came up and stomped us flat. Now obviously due to how punishing death is in AoC, a huge boss frog jumping at low level players isnt the best idea - but that element of catching the player off guard with something unique is what makes lasting memories. I really want to see stuff like that.
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • I do enjoy Guild Wars 2 fishing, specially now that we have small ships
    Since AoC will have bigger ships it wouldn't be so bad having net fishing and harpooning
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • talltall Member
    Net fishing and harpooning would be cool. I could finally realize my dream of being the guy who hunted Moby Dick.
    mwxiq972a1pu.png
    These are what the Archeage fishing boats looked like, you could if you wanted add a harpoon or cannon.
    Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

I only hate fishing in real life, and the game wardens really from on my bringing shotguns and dynamite :(

How did you call the " Event " of Fishing from ArcheAge again in the Twitch Stream if i may ask ?

Something with " Raid " ? 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    edited March 3
    Aszkalon wrote: »

How did you call the " Event " of Fishing from ArcheAge again in the Twitch Stream if i may ask ?

Something with " Raid " ? 😁

Pesca Raid:)

v2k8qdh9zqqw.png

Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• AnimusRexAnimusRex Member
    edited March 4
    I fished like crazy as a kid. Loved it. Not so much time as an adult.

In a RPG, I can see the point if you need to eat, not so much from a recreation POV. I think that opens up a can of worms about other 'sports' that players might want included. Ha ha ha, yes I'm an old fart that loves my own bad jokes.

But reelly, if you like it, go for it. I can see the allure and it's a worthy debait.

The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
    AnimusRex wrote: »
    I fished like crazy as a kid. Loved it. Not so much time as an adult.

In a RPG, I can see the point if you need to eat, not so much from a recreation POV. I think that opens up a can of worms about other 'sports' that players might want included. Ha ha ha, yes I'm an old fart that loves my own bad jokes.

But reelly, if you like it, go for it. I can see the allure and it's a worthy debait.

In Ashes of Creation you can expect fishing to be a very lucrative profession, like it was in Archeage.

Small-game fishing
    This is location-based fishing that was present in Alpha-1. In the final game there will not be "sparklies" on location-based gatherable resources.[8][9]
    Deep-sea fishing
    This is a more sports-oriented style of fishing, which will feature a mini-game. This will require equipment, such as fishing boats and expensive lures, but will yield higher rewards.[14][8][9][15][16][17]
    Coastal/lake fishing
    This allows players to fish in any water, but will yield lesser rewards.[8][15][16]
    Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• JhorenJhoren Member
    I'm of the belief that Archeage had some of the best fishing I have ever experienced in a game, and a highly proficient fisherman could make hundreds of gold a day, not without risk of course as you always had the dangers of someone boarding you and killing you, selling your fish and then ramming your boat into a Island.

Know any good videos explaining the system in Archeage?
    Jhoren wrote: »

Know any good videos explaining the system in Archeage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA04NNjMfmM&t=392s

try that one gives a good look into it.

Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA04NNjMfmM&t=392s

try that one gives a good look into it.

I like how the Water in that Video there looks similar like in Sea of Thieves. Just more calm waves ... ... B)
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
  • OtrOtr Member
    And are you ok with fishing being the top gold earner for gatherers in Ashes? (because if it's not there's a problem)
    To be top gold earner as a gatherer doesn't feel right.
    Also not possible as there is processing and crafting above them.
    But I am curious what we will find in the deep ocean. Maybe the fish will fight back..
    edited March 5
    Otr wrote: »
    To be top gold earner as a gatherer doesn't feel right.
    Also not possible as there is processing and crafting above them.
    But I am curious what we will find in the deep ocean. Maybe the fish will fight back..

Well that would be if you were deep sea fishing, that's where are the risk is, so to me it makes sense.
    I also should clarify I mean to earner as far as gatherers, processor's and Crafters in the long run will most likely make the most money.
    Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

Has anyone asked Steven or know the answer since we know naval will not be present at the start of Alpha 2, does this mean fishing boats and deep sea will also not be available at the start?
    Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• DaidracoDaidraco Member
    edited March 5
    I'd like to see the reel-in system from New World implemented into this game. Expand upon the tension build up with the type of water, and the water body itself. Then add in variables that will change based on the fish. A "lazy" fish will not put up my of a fight at all, but when you've almost got it in the boat - if you havent saved up your lines stamina, or are in a good spot tension wise - the fish will get a burst of stamina and zip away if you arent ready. Dont tell the player what type of fish it is, either. Let the design of the fish be all that a player knows. "I saw the fish flip up above the water and could tell it was a Marlin and used the appropriate strategy to reel it in."
    AnimusRex wrote: »
    Small-game fishing
    This is location-based fishing that was present in Alpha-1. In the final game there will not be "sparklies" on location-based gatherable resources.[8][9]
    Deep-sea fishing
    This is a more sports-oriented style of fishing, which will feature a mini-game. This will require equipment, such as fishing boats and expensive lures, but will yield higher rewards.[14][8][9][15][16][17]
    Coastal/lake fishing
    This allows players to fish in any water, but will yield lesser rewards.[8][15][16]

I agree that there should be differences. In a fishing talent tree - I'd like to see categories, but categories for Fishing Rod's, Harpoon's, Spear's, Bow's, etc. Within each category within the fishing tree, you then have perks that are specific to the type of water - Salt water, fresh water, Lava (if we go with fairy tales), etc. Then, we add in ecosystem perks, such as Swamps, Coastal, Lake/Pond, Deep Sea etc. Most of it being passive, but the pinnacle talents that you get at break points would be something like "Fish Eyes!" where, when you have a Spear equipped, you can see the outline of the fish when they are within the top meter(s) of the water you're in.

Wish I could help design it. I've got a ton of good idea's on just how to make fishing fun, interesting and deep.
    New world did have a few things I liked as far as fishing, I really enjoyed Archeage Sport fishing. I enjoyed the risk of going out there, seeing if I could catch them, get 8 on my boat and get back to the fish stand to turn in before I got ganked, really was a adrenaline rush.
    Wednesday's at PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• OtrOtr Member
    edited March 6
    Daidraco wrote: »
    I'd like to see the reel-in system from New World implemented into this game. Expand upon the tension build up with the type of water, and the water body itself. Then add in variables that will change based on the fish. A "lazy" fish will not put up my of a fight at all, but when you've almost got it in the boat - if you havent saved up your lines stamina, or are in a good spot tension wise - the fish will get a burst of stamina and zip away if you arent ready. Dont tell the player what type of fish it is, either. Let the design of the fish be all that a player knows. "I saw the fish flip up above the water and could tell it was a Marlin and used the appropriate strategy to reel it in."

Even though I do not normally fish, I think the New World one was good.
    Do you think there should be some risk for those who fish in lakes?
  • The way I see it, the people whom simple fishing systems are designed for are the people who hate fishing anyway. I'd really like to see Intrepid go all out in making good performance in and outcomes from all professions take a decent amount of focus and some degree of technical skill in some way or another.

For fishing, I'd like to see line tension taken into account, stamina used when controlling a fish under tension, as well as the fish swimming in different directions, utilizing obstacles, breaching the water, and tiring itself out

You need to be careful not to let the tension on your line get too high, or else the line can snap. This would require different line weights to be used when fishing in different places, and learning through friends or experience where the big and small fish rotate in each body of water. So there's a mechanic not only to reel, but also to give the fish some slack. Perhaps holding down left click reels in, letting go of left click locks the reel, so the fish puts tension on the line if it swims further away, or allows slack to form without drawing from the reel if it swims closer to you, and holding down a customizable key (mouse or keyboard) opens the reel to allow the fish to draw line. Additionally, holding a fish on a high tension line, even the top tier stuff, will drain the player's stamina bar depending on the weight you're attempting to draw in. If your stamina runs out, you'll automatically open the reel and let the fish do whatever it wants until you recover. So you have to be smart and decide when it's most efficient for you to be reeling, and when to let the fish think it has the upper hand. However, the fish also has a stamina bar. Whenever it fights against you, it will tire itself out. But the fish have some tricks of their own up their sleeve.

When the fish swims in different directions, you need to move your character to face the fish to avoid it swimming outside of a frontal cone range. Perhaps once you cast, your character is rooted to the ground unless you use WASD, and holding down right click and shifting your mouse left and right can rotate your facing direction. This will require good positioning and preparedness to be able to move and angle your character towards any direction the fish can swim away from you, especially on boats. Additionally, more shallow waterways can be littered with occasional obstacles that only impact fishing. Fallen trees, thick weeds, boulders, etc. If the fish manages to put one of these barriers between you and itself, it will attempt to swim away and put pressure on the line until it snaps. The best way to avoid this from occurring is teaming up with a friend in a fishing boat who can navigate the two of you around obstacles. Without a boat and a co-op captain, you'll have to pay attention for whenever the fish makes a break for an obstacle and be smart about reserving your stamina to do some heavy reeling and walking inland under tension to pull the fish away from obstacles before it can reach them. Lastly, the fish can choose to breach the water, wriggling its body in an attempt to shake the hook from its lip. I've seen some games use this mechanic, and advise you to stop reeling until the fish is back under the water, but from what I've read, high tension and a low rod are best for jumpers. If the AI is going to have the fish jump, make them suddenly race towards the player and jump. If the player is paying attention, they'll quickly take out the slack and keep the line taut. If there's slack, make it a % chance of freeing themselves based on how much there was left at the peak of the jump.

If you can avoid enough of the fish's tricks, you'll successfully tire it out if you haven't caught it already and reel it in the rest of the way pretty easily. Bigger fish have more stamina and break lines / jump free of hooks more easily, of course. There can be gear to invest in to combat these difficulty spikes, to a certain extent.