Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

πŸ“ Dev Discussion #61 - Time Dedication βŒ›

12346Β»

Comments

• Options
    HandOfUnityHandOfUnity Member, Intrepid Pack
    Shared sentiment among our community members was that a "expert" title should be comfortably claimed by someone who played a 1000+ hours. Those hours should however be filled with actually playtime and research about the game.

The difference between expert and casual according to our community is often the knowledge difference the player has. A casual player should be able to use a skill and have an impact, but an expert will know the intricacies of the skill and use it more efficiently.
    0viv4khrmh7a.gif
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    Vaknar wrote: Β»
    How much time do you think someone should invest in order to become an expert at an MMORPG? What are the differences between an expert player versus a casual player - time commitment, skill, and game knowledge?

Can this even truly be defined? I would say... it should take as long as it takes to pretty much discover every single advantage in any kind of situation. For example I remember my Retributionpaladin in ClassicWoW at some point being so powerful that no one on the entire server could defeat him anymore in a 1-vs-1 scenario.

Why? Because my gear was on equal level to every other player in the game, or maybe worst to that of... I dunno 20 people... but my knowledge about PvP was 100/100.

* I had the best gear I could get my hands on.
    * The gear had the best enchants on during that time.
    * One of my two jobs was engineer, with elemental reflectors, a deathray trinket and other powerful things which made my Paladin's divine shield phase not just a selfheal but also a heavy damagedeal phase.
    * I used the super weak selfheal from the Ungoro crystals one could farm in the openworld of Unguro.

Some of the buffs & items I deployed were almost insignificant but all of them together boosted my overall might about 10% to 12% more. And I knew exactly what every other class could do in a duel.

How long did it took me to figure all of my advantages out? Roughly 8 months or so. Maybe a bit more.
    This is when I had come around everywhere and was on the highest high I could get.
    So yeah;
    " It will take as long as it takes... for each and everyone of us. "
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    Let's redefine expert, by using another word, like hardcore. If your hardcore and have done your research and have game knowledge, plus skill and have other guild mates as defined as such, you should be unstoppable. I define hard-core as the amount of hours spent in one day playing a single game. I define game knowledge in MMORPG's as understanding all the classes and abilities, what, where, why, when, how. If I'm this class, which classes can counter and why, also understanding of enemy combos.
  • Options
    Let's redefine expert, by using another word, like hardcore. If your hardcore and have done your research and have game knowledge, plus skill and have other guild mates as defined as such, you should be unstoppable.

And then all "Hardcore-Guilds" band together and bully the whole Server for all of Eternity. x'D
    a50whcz343yn.png