Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Zone Of Influence Prevents World Travel & Adventuring

I’m trying to see if I’m understanding this correctly. Based on the wiki, players shape the world and what nodes advance and level up by raiding, questing, PVPing, doing caravan runs in, and otherwise participating in game activities in a Node’s given Zone of Influence. So, if I’m playing the game out in my mind, I as a player want my OWN chosen node to advance further and faster than other nodes. Doesn’t this then mean I’m locked into only playing the game within my node’s zone of influence unless I run the risk of helping another zone advance further/faster by playing within its zone of influence… doesn’t this prevent world travel, adventuring, and the general sandbox nature of being able to choose where and how to play? Would love insights on this if I’m overlooking something.

Comments

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Well, if you choose to be a part of a node and want to advance that node then you’ll be doing things mostly around that node to contribute.

There will be plenty of us that have no interest in settling down at a node for some time - if ever. Ashes provides choices, and those choices have rewards and drawbacks.

You get to choose.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Pretty much yes, until your node hits a cap on progress (either Metro or a current vassal max lvl). After that you'd have to go farm in your parent node's zoi or even go to a whole different vassal system because your preferred loot is there.

In other words, the limitation is timed. Though in theory you'd want to do any non-mob-related activities in your own node, cause I'd imagine majority of people will be farming in metros, so all the other vassals might start decaying if not enough activity is happening in them.

Either way, we'll know for sure only after extensively testing it, which would probably be later on in A2, cause I doubt we'll have the full system at its start.
  • Options
    But knowing the game is centered around the node system, isn’t it fair to say participating in game aspects in other ZOIs is counterproductive to that end? I would hate for that to be the case as my ultimate dream is to wander the world finding the most epic world PVP available at any given moment while also enjoying world class gathering skills.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    If you’re not attached to a node it really doesn’t matter.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    But knowing the game is centered around the node system, isn’t it fair to say participating in game aspects in other ZOIs is counterproductive to that end? I would hate for that to be the case as my ultimate dream is to wander the world finding the most epic world PVP available at any given moment while also enjoying world class gathering skills.
    Yes, it would be ultimately counterproductive, though outside of the closest nodes to yours you shouldn't really care cause those far ones wouldn't really influence your node's growth.

But I think this is also the underlying intention of the system. You're meant to try and make your node the best one around at something, so that it attracts other players to itself and get xp from them. All while you can go to other nodes and fuck up their mayoral caravans or participate in their sieges or maybe even wage wars on them.

We're also supposed to not have "grinding" in the game, so maybe there'll even be a way to not leave your node, but still progress in your character's vertical/horizontal lvl. We'll have to see.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Yes, it would be ultimately counterproductive, though outside of the closest nodes to yours you shouldn't really care cause those far ones wouldn't really influence your node's growth.

Reading your comment here I think this perhaps has something to do with it. If you are far enough away, the growth of other nodes in the world don’t run the risk of vasseling your node and preventing reaching metropolis. I guess we will have to see in A2
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I think perhaps the point that needs to be made for the OP is that the majority of the time, you won't be leveling your node.

As such, you would be free to travel around.

If your node is a metropolis, obviously you can't level it up any more. if your node is a city that is a vassal of a metropolis, you can't level it up any more right now. If your node is a town and is a vassal of a city, you can't level it up any more right now. If your node is a village and is a vassal of a town, you can't level it up any more right now.

Most players will spend most of their game time in a node that is in one of the above states. There absolutely will be times when you want to be leveling your node, and when that happens you will want to stay put. However, there will also absolutely be times when you do not need to level your node, and that is when you go out exploring.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Most players will spend most of their game time in a node that is in one of the above states. There absolutely will be times when you want to be leveling your node, and when that happens you will want to stay put. However, there will also absolutely be times when you do not need to level your node, and that is when you go out exploring.

I was wondering if it was as simple as that. After reading your comment I’m guessing that’s going to be how it plays. It will be a sprint in the beginning of launch but after that, things are kinda already shaped they way they will be with everything in a vassal state so it matters less unless/until a metropolis is destroyed. Thanks, friend!
  • Options
    You're right about that, iff you commit to a node, you'll likely need to spend most of your time there

Unfortunately, we're still in the dark about many details. We're not sure if there will be policies or commissions that require citizens to venture outside the node and run missions around the world. It's possible, but as far as I can recall, we haven't heard anything about it yet

This is definitely a question worth bringing up in the next Q&A, I might ask about whether there will be missions or commissions that necessitate citizens traveling long distances to fulfill their objectives, otherwise citizens will feel clamped to their nodes
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    Zone Of Influence Prevents World Travel & Adventuring

Apparently Players can also "influence" a Worldregion, by holding a Castle. Like with a Worldbuff or something like that ? But anyway i am curious about that Feature, as well.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Doesn’t this then mean I’m locked into only playing the game within my node’s zone of influence...

Depends on the requirements to level the node as well as what services you and the other players participating in the growth wish to be in that node (village/town/city) - Ex. To build a smithy one might require stone that is not found within the ZOI. Someone will have to find it or purchase it. Quarrying it might take beating on mobs in another ZOI and assisting its growth.

There are a large number of scenarios that can be imaged that would require questing in other ZOIs in order to assist in leveling a preferred node.
    owuEH4S.png
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    This is a legitimate concern. We can see that the game has a variety of incentives for both in node and outside of node travel.

Incentives for doing content in 1 node:
    • Levels up the node faster.
    • Provides character rewards in node for contribution to node development.
    • Provide character power for citizenship and node buffs.
    • Less likely to get PK'd by other node citizens, as the more people contributing to the node the better.
    • Meet players and develop a reputation in that node, might even have players come to your defence if attacked, because they have seen you around and know that you are contributing to that node.

Incentives for doing content out of node.
    • Doing caravan runs requires node to node travel. Caravan runs could be a large source of income and this could be a big part of the reason people are travelling.
    • PKing in other nodes serves a few functions. It slows down development of that node (players that were farming that node are now pvping instead, but same goes to you). Successful PK's with material drops, that you bring back to your node, will serve to empower your own node at a loss to theirs. Zero sum idea. However, they may still level up the node while actually gathering the materials, I am not sure about the turning in part.
    • Some material drops will only be possible in other nodes, gatherer professions are more likely to travel for this reason.
    • Different nodes will have different player structures. Maybe your node went for +blunt weapons and leather armour, but you want cloth armour and wands. Travelling to find a node that provides these items is worth it for your character.
    • Some nodes may be better for trading than others. If you want to trade you may need to travel to find someone.
    • Quest lines may direct the players to different spots in the world.
    • World bosses and general exploration.

So there are lots of reasons to do both content, and some of these reasons conflict with each other. The primary reason to stay in 1 node has to do with the benefits of node citizenship. Some of these dynamics will change as your character and the world develops.

With all that being said, a big part of this will have to do with game balancing. If the game is well balanced, then many different play styles will be viable for character development; levelling, gearing, citizenship buffs, profession buffs, religion buffs, guild buffs, etc.

So, in the end, we can speculate a lot, but will have to see how the systems are implemented and what the numbers look like for what classes and professions, etc. For example, node citizenship has more weight for someone planning on maxing the processing profession because you need a Freehold in order to do the highest level processing. Someone planning on being a pirate might put more weight on the fishing profession, and be able to travel to many nodes to buy gear, so their node citizenship might not be as important. But if the node citizenship ends up being something like a 20% buff to player power, then all of a sudden it is important for everyone, and may discourage some of the other activities. Something like 3-5% and then you got some wiggle room in how much that affects your game play decisions.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited March 7

not really. one person wont contribute too much to the node advancement. of course, if a lot of people play like you, then thats not one person anymore. bu tnodes also get locked out from leveling when a nearby node levels up. even if you try to contribute to your node of choice, nothing guarantees that it levels up.

i suppose early on people will be trying to farm near the highest leveled nodes to get the most experience, even though you dont have to. then you can just go adventure anywhere.

also, remember that nodes can be destroyed and re built, this gives you a good excuse to go adventure and pvp, etc.

if you are still not satisfied, then sucks to suck :D

edit: i dont even think people will be spending a lot of time in one node anyways, unless that node has a high level dungeon. i suppose metros will have those, and theres 5 metros so at least 5 high level dungeons or content to farm? you can move form one to another.

id probably only go back to my node to just craft. other than that, there isnt any reason to stay there. its the same as other games. you eventually end up at the higher level cities, but you can go anywhere really...but do you have a reason to? in ashes, you might, since steven said low level mats will still be useful. so maybe people will farm the low level nodes instead. who knows?
  • Options
    Yours truly shares the worry about there not being enough reason to adventure/play outside your own node of settlement. This is along the lines of my own concerns about what will drive trans/inter-kingdom conflicts, once the world FILLS OUT, on the servers.

The only real things we've been able to determine for reasons for kingdoms (zones of influence) to fight beyond the initial establishment of borders/territory/regional capitals are the relics, castles, and helping to change metropolis types via sieges. They reach a max size, then don't change, in size.

Yes, dungeon entrances will be spread far and wide, we'll need to roam and search for world bosses, and there will be achievements to complete - but once the world fills out, and each of the Metros have their max territories, WHAT'S DRIVING WORLD CONFLICT?

Castle-and-relic-control just don't seem like they are enough war-driving elements, nor reasons that will constantly incentivize travel. Hopefully the combination of these factors and the NPC-driven content will be enough to keep players part-tourist and part-local.

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps human nature will also factor in a bit to the drive of inter-kingdom conflicts. The need to be "Number One", personality conflicts, conflicts over dungeons, hunting grounds and all kinds of little pissing~conflicts may drive excuses for conflicts. Plus the love of conflicts itself.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Well, if you choose to be a part of a node and want to advance that node then you’ll be doing things mostly around that node to contribute.

There will be plenty of us that have no interest in settling down at a node for some time - if ever. Ashes provides choices, and those choices have rewards and drawbacks.

You get to choose.

I guess, and to expand on this, the more players that contribute to a node, the wider its territory and more to do.. so the individual gets out of it what the collective put in.
  • Options
    StewBadStewBad Member
    edited March 7
    I’m trying to see if I’m understanding this correctly. Based on the wiki, players shape the world and what nodes advance and level up by raiding, questing, PVPing, doing caravan runs in, and otherwise participating in game activities in a Node’s given Zone of Influence. So, if I’m playing the game out in my mind, I as a player want my OWN chosen node to advance further and faster than other nodes. Doesn’t this then mean I’m locked into only playing the game within my node’s zone of influence unless I run the risk of helping another zone advance further/faster by playing within its zone of influence… doesn’t this prevent world travel, adventuring, and the general sandbox nature of being able to choose where and how to play? Would love insights on this if I’m overlooking something.

You could always go to other nodes and "over harvest" their resources. This could have some serious effect on their ZOI and could incite some epic PvP, all while allowing you to explore the world.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @StewBad In Alpha 1, I was unable to over harvest even a tiny area within a node. While plants, rocks, mobs and so forth that will have regrowth rates which will certainly be able to be adjusted, I suspect that it will take dozens of players harvesting for many hours to have any real impact on overharvesting. Of course, as this starts to happen the node citizens will react to prevent the node overharvesting.

No doubt I could be wrong, but I still suspect that overharvesting will not be an easy thing to accomplish.
  • Options
    StewBadStewBad Member
    edited March 10
    I don't disagree with you there. I believe it should require many players over many hours to accomplish even the beginning of the effect over harvesting would have on a node, otherwise you have an easy grief mechanic. I had just imagined that GraphicalElm would not be alone in their desire for world travel, adventuring and epic PvP. So i guess my suggestion was directed at a coordinated group of like-minded individuals. :)

**edit** Maybe i've added Epic PvP myself, but i could've sworn it was mentioned in the OP