Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hey future Ashes of Creation enthusiasts, its time to bring back a classic option!

Picture this: The year is 2004, and you're patiently waiting for your dial-up internet to connect, all while humming the login theme of EverQuest. Ah, the good ol' days when inspecting someone's gear was not just a right but a rite of passage. Fast forward to the present, and we're about to embark on a new MMO adventure with AoC.

Now, I may have a few extra wrinkles and a touch of nostalgia in my voice, but I'm here to plead with the developers to bring back the original gangster (OG) option - the ability to inspect not just a player's character, but their fashion choices and gear, too. I mean, how else are we going to show off our toons bling and flex our virtual muscles?

Back in the golden era of MMOs, if you wanted to know if someone was a boss or just a poser, you'd simply target them and hit the inspect button. It was like window shopping for armor, and boy, did it lead to some epic in-game drama. "Oh, you're rocking that +15 legendary sword? Mind if I take a closer look? Just, you know, for research purposes."

Let's face it, in Ashes of Creation, we're going to have some dazzling armor sets and weapons, and we want the chance to give a virtual nod of approval to our fellow adventurers. Maybe you've spent hours crafting the perfect ensemble, or perhaps you lucked out with a rare drop - whatever the case, don't we all deserve a chance to bask in the glory of our in-game fashion sense?

So, dear developers, as an old school MMO player who remembers the days when "BRB" meant battling a dragon, I implore you to include the OG option to inspect our comrades' gear and character. Let's bring back the days when inspecting someone's gear was not just a feature; it was an art form.

Who's with me? Let the inspecting revolution begin!

SlipStreamShane

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    No :)
  • Options
    Please show me your gear!
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited March 6
    No gear inspection, or make it a option in settling allowing people to do view it if you check it on.

People are talking about classic mmorpgs, but the thing is they are talking about CLASSIC PVE mmorpgs.

I'm most likely too old school since i played pvp mmorpgs but letting someone see your gear and guild is like stripping someone naked to try to find out the weakness to their build. I've always found it weird when people ask what is your exact gear.
  • Options

Mag7spy wrote: »
    No gear inspection, or make it a option in settling allowing people to do view it if you check it on.

People are talking about classic mmorpgs, but the thing is they are talking about CLASSIC PVE mmorpgs.

I'm most likely too old school since i played pvp mmorpgs but letting someone see your gear and guild is like stripping someone naked to try to find out the weakness to their build. I've always found it weird when people ask what is your exact gear.

Hey Mag7spy,

I appreciate your perspective on the gear inspection topic, and it's clear we could have a lively discussion brewing here. While I fully respect the strategic side of PvP MMORPGs and the desire for secrecy, I'd like to share a few thoughts on why having a Player Inspect option can add a unique layer of excitement to the gaming experience.

Journey back with me to the EverQuest era, where the mere act of inspecting a player's gear could unravel tales of adventure. Picture stumbling upon a captivating item, like the mythical Glowing Black Stone from the depths of Lower Guk or a pair of coveted Spirit of the Wolf (SoW) Boots! It transcended being just an item; it served as a wellspring of inspiration, a target to aspire to, and a catalyst for in-game connections. Peeking into someone's gear wasn't solely about revealing vulnerabilities; it opened doors to shared dreams, discussions, and camaraderie.

Having a Player Inspect option doesn't necessarily mean everyone will be forced to reveal their secrets. It's about choice and creating a social dynamic where players can opt to showcase their achievements, gear, and guild affiliations. Imagine wandering through a bustling town, and a fellow adventurer catches your eye with an awe-inspiring ensemble. That Player Inspect option becomes a tool for connection, sparking conversations about gear, tactics, and the shared journey of becoming powerful in the game world.

Now, I understand the need for privacy, especially in a PvP-centric environment. That's why I fully support the idea of making the feature optional, giving players the freedom to decide when and where they want to unveil their virtual treasures.

As we navigate this discussion, let's explore avenues to strike a delicate balance between the joy of discovery and the tactical finesse of PvP. In a world influenced by social and societal challenges exacerbated by events like COVID lockdowns and the impact of social media, perhaps it's time to return to the basics in these games and rekindle the art of genuine communication.

SlipStreamShane
  • Options
    BroJCBroJC Member
    I appreciate Shane's nostalgia and applaud it. Sadly in this era of gaming, my experience has been that gear checking becomes a way to gatekeep people from content. Join such and such group gear check will be required and then because people are lazy they will cry for a gear score to be implemented or someone will male a mode that gives a score so they can just set a score standard for content.

You will know as long as the gear is unique and has unique visuals. Then the curiosity of the quiet types who never want to bother anyone can overcome the shyness and engage others through that social mechanism of chat and asking what is that piece of gear you have?... Where did it come from? Or how come your sword has that glow on it mine does not?

Otherwise, I inspect your gear and ask google how to get it and never make you a friend or an enemy because we annoyed one another.
    64mtni3lz7d1.png
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited March 6
    I'll go back to the previous time this was brought up.

Player X Requests to inspect you
    "Allow" or "Deny"

Or nothing, and you can send them a tell and ask them to link an item to them.
  • Options
    Seems like a pretty standard feature in most modern games.

Allow/Deny option seems fine. Some people feel they are Einstein with assembling gear and simply MUST protect their valuable findings, at all costs!

• Options
    If they don't want to include DPS meters in the game, I suppose the same would apply to inspecting gear, as comrades with weaker gear might risk being kicked from the group. 😄
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 6
    No thanks to gear inspection. :smile: Not even as an option.

We've had a dev discussion about this btw: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/51268/dev-discussion-35-character-inspection
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You will have the required information you need to make a combat decision. You will not be getting the granular itemization stats used to gatekeep.

"When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint what they're going up against if they're actively checking that, and that will be available."[191] – Steven Sharif

And as others pointed out. Just like other things certain people think they want and need, Intrepid has said no, going all the way back to pre-Kickstarter 2017.

The developers believe that inspecting gear to obtain an exact equipment list or gear score may lead to "unwelcome behavior".[194]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx6xdibiRIk&t=1400s

And remember, not everyone is a winner. Sometimes your bad take, is just that.

We're very clear with our objective and philosophy on the game and we understand that they may not appeal to everybody. But it is an important reciprocal relationship between the content that's related to PvE and the content that's related to PvP and they feed off of each other. They're catalysts for change: Their progression, their development. It's things that people can value when they see something earned and they see something lost. That elicits an emotional response from the player: That they've invested time in to either succeed or fail; and PvP allows for that element to be introduced into gameplay. And we're very clear that is our objective: That risk versus reward relationship, that achievement-based mentality. Not everybody's going to be a winner and that's okay.[27] – Steven Sharif
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Absolutely not. There should be no forced inspection in the game, it should either follow a inspect request rule where you can accept/deny or have it to be toggle on/off.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    ... make it a option in settling allowing people to do view it if you check it on.
    Liniker wrote: »
    There should be no forced inspection in the game, it should either follow a inspect request rule where you can accept/deny or have it to be toggle on/off.

These are the correct answers.

I will be happy to share my cosmetic setup, farming build, and leveling build.

Might not share an optimized PvX build, however.
  • Options
    Fuck yea, I'm down with that.
  • Options
    SlipStream wrote: »
    Picture this: The year is 2004, and you're patiently waiting for your dial-up internet to connect, all while humming the login theme of EverQuest. Ah, the good ol' days when inspecting someone's gear was not just a right but a rite of passage. Fast forward to the present, and we're about to embark on a new MMO adventure with AoC.

Now, I may have a few extra wrinkles and a touch of nostalgia in my voice, but I'm here to plead with the developers to bring back the original gangster (OG) option - the ability to inspect not just a player's character, but their fashion choices and gear, too. I mean, how else are we going to show off our toons bling and flex our virtual muscles?

Back in the golden era of MMOs, if you wanted to know if someone was a boss or just a poser, you'd simply target them and hit the inspect button. It was like window shopping for armor, and boy, did it lead to some epic in-game drama. "Oh, you're rocking that +15 legendary sword? Mind if I take a closer look? Just, you know, for research purposes."

Let's face it, in Ashes of Creation, we're going to have some dazzling armor sets and weapons, and we want the chance to give a virtual nod of approval to our fellow adventurers. Maybe you've spent hours crafting the perfect ensemble, or perhaps you lucked out with a rare drop - whatever the case, don't we all deserve a chance to bask in the glory of our in-game fashion sense?

So, dear developers, as an old school MMO player who remembers the days when "BRB" meant battling a dragon, I implore you to include the OG option to inspect our comrades' gear and character. Let's bring back the days when inspecting someone's gear was not just a feature; it was an art form.

Who's with me? Let the inspecting revolution begin!

SlipStreamShane

One term I dont hear anymore at all, is LnS - Loot and Scoote. Fucking golden age. I feel old now.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    nopeeee, not even a request to accept or deny. people will use that to try to make you lose focus during pvp
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    nopeeee, not even a request to accept or deny. people will use that to try to make you lose focus during pvp

You can just have an option to say "no to inspect"
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Saabynator wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »

You can just have an option to say "no to inspect"

if devs make it so you can completely disable the option for other people to request it and show a pop up on your screen, then maybe. i can see how some people are going to forget though XD

but even then, people will ask for inspection for content or pvp (im not always against this but i can see how this can be negative)
  • Options
    Ah, the ol' "cloak and dagger" approach, huh? I see what you're doing there, Ashes of Creation! Steven dropping the knowledge bombs about keeping the mystery alive. But hey, can we talk about the real issue at hand? The fashion drama that's about to unfold!

I get it; we're all about strategic surprises, but let's not forget the real MVPs of the MMO world – our outfits! It's like going to a fashion show but blindfolded. Sure, you can feel the glam, but wouldn't it be better to see it all in its glory?

So, you're telling me I can't check out the intricate details of someone's gear, but instead, I get a distant buff preview like they're auditioning for a superhero role? I mean, I love a good cape, but I want to know if that wizard over there is flexing a legendary wand or just a glorified twig.

And about that "unwelcome behavior" Which is??? – come on! Everyone is just always too BUTT-HURT. We've dealt with trade chat shenanigans in EQ East Commonlands tunnel, dancing naked in Orgrimmar, the pee emote in Age of Conan and the legendary Barrens chat. I think we can handle a bit of gear inspection banter, don't you?

So, AoC, I get the whole risk-versus-reward thing, but let's not forget the real challenge here – navigating a world where we're all blind to each other's epic loot! May the fashionista within us all rise above, and may our closets be filled with legendary gear, even if we can't peek into each other's wardrobes! Let's bring back the social community fun days. Shall we?

Fashionably Yours,
    SlipStreamShane

Coming back to Twitch/YouTube Soon!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I think we can handle a bit of gear inspection banter, don't you?
    It isn't a matter of banter.

My gear is the means by which I am about to kill you, it isn't a topic of discussion.

I would be all for (like, 100% for) an inspect option that shows what a character is displaying visually. Since this will mostly be either cosmetic items or costumes, it won't hurt. Sure, some people won't have either cosmetics or costumes on, in which case inspecting them in this manner would show what items they are using - but that is their choice.

Ashes is absolutely the wrong game type for actual gear inspection to be a thing.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    i agree. inspecting cosmetics is ok, but not the actual gear
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 8
    I think when you inspect a person, they should be prompted and have the ability to decline.

if someone came up to you and was checking you out irl,,, you would either say... " how you doin?" or "back the eff up"

could be a setting you have a default to avoid spam
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »

My gear is the means by which I am about to kill you, it isn't a topic of discussion.

I would be all for (like, 100% for) an inspect option that shows what a character is displaying visually. Since this will mostly be either cosmetic items or costumes, it won't hurt. Sure, some people won't have either cosmetics or costumes on, in which case inspecting them in this manner would show what items they are using - but that is their choice.

Ashes is absolutely the wrong game type for actual gear inspection to be a thing.

You are so mysterious and important.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    That guy that tries to peak at your gear 5r7frr69290v.png
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I enjoyed using inspect back in my EQ days. While I have found memories the time has I think passed. As mentioned this encourages gear checks rather than skill checks. Also we now have information immediately available that we would not have had years ago from simply googling.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    When You are not sure whetever it would be a good thing or a bad thing ... ...

... ... but You think you should maybe wait it out and not implement it until later.

6i8h2x49tlah.jpg
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Abarat wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

You are so mysterious and important.

Factually incorrect.

Nothing on these forums is in any way important - and I am far from mysterious.