Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear will NOT bind. Is that their way of being alt friendly / doing content nerfs?

I read on the wiki that "[v]ery little of your gear in AoC will be soulbound. Very little." The post goes on to talk about how the point is not to grind a dungeon (or, I presume, a raid dungeon) over and over or repeat quests. The point is to experience new and varied content and, it would seem, bring everyone on board as a participating member of the world.

To me, this would seem to make it very easy to bring alts up to speed, and also make gear flow easily through markets, trades, or node governance to bring more casual players along. The best players will still be at the bleeding edge, getting the best drops from the top tier PvE bosses or other sorts of elite rewards (and I do hope that they have crafted gear, obtained with patience and organization, available at a level near the highest level boss drops). But, as those players continue to get sidegrades or incremental improvements, it would seem that their gear can then go to other players and act as a sort of natural nerf. Even if the gear drops at a much lower pace than current WoW (say, Vanilla WoW), the long-term trend will be towards more players getting better gear to attempt content as the best keep on clearing.

I like this!

Am I on the right track with this reasoning, though? I'm assuming, of course, that gear is repairable, that it won't just wear out permanently and require that the boss be farmed again. That would seem to go against the developers' vision of avoiding daily grinds and upkeep in favor of pushing all energy towards maintenance of the dynamic world and its player-to-player alliances / rivalries.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Half and half.

You MIGHT need to fight the boss again to get repair materials for the gear.

But, just like the gear itself, there might not be any requirement for you to personally do it.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Interesting! But I like the concept of rare consumables coming from bosses which are then tradeable. ALl around it would keep all content current and establish value in a variety of activities, while the economy itself provides the glue that lets players focus on what they are good at and what they enjoy.

As for me, I enjoy picking lowers, mining ore, farming cloth, and collecting stuff. Really kicking myself that I didn't go in for the kickstarter now that I can see how beautiful the game is.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 10
    Telandras wrote: »
    Interesting! But I like the concept of rare consumables coming from bosses which are then tradeable. ALl around it would keep all content current and establish value in a variety of activities, while the economy itself provides the glue that lets players focus on what they are good at and what they enjoy.

As for me, I enjoy picking lowers, mining ore, farming cloth, and collecting stuff. Really kicking myself that I didn't go in for the kickstarter now that I can see how beautiful the game is.

If you really enjoy testing phases, there may still be a few more chances to get Alpha-2 Access keys (giveaways, etc)

If you're more of a 'flow and enjoy' player who just doesn't mind having to restart, and can therefore contribute to polish and metrics, Beta access should be enough.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Well, I'm a COLLECTOR at heart. After playing WoW and getting as high as about top 50 US guilds for progression, I decided that my real enjoyment was farming, perhaps being a team manager, and collecting mounts / pets. I'd have been a big subscriber to the Wayfarer packs had I known things would get this good.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited March 10
    Gear will NOT bind.

I read on the wiki that "[v]ery little of your gear in AoC will be soulbound.

I'll be completely honest here.

Anyone else also remembering how Sir Steven stated, that for Example " Legendary Items " will be unique as in "ONE. PER. SERVER." ??

Only one legendary TowerShield of ABC~XYZ.

Only one legendary Staff of F̵̨̢̺̼̱̝̣͖̫͉͙̣̽̑̃̔͛̌́͗̉͠ţ̴̺̜̙̙̩̺̞̿h̶̢̭̰̯̬͔̍̾̽̈́͊̐̍̓̀̚̚͠ą̸̧͔̻͈̲̻̪͚͇͙͎̏͂́̈́͑͋̚͠g̵̹͋͌͗n̷̨̨̛̦̝̩͙̗̠̟̼͓̐̑̔͆͗͠.

Only one legendary Buckler of Orcbold the coldblooded. (lol)

Only one legendary Sword, Axe, Mace, Bow, Cloak, Belt, Helmet, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ... ...

Long Story short -> what if the Players/Owners of those Items decide to quit the Game ? - Like, forever.
    What if the Players owning them, die in Reallife ?

What if the legendary Items would be lost forever, aside from the Possibility that they could give these Items to other Players ?

I see a few Plus Points for most Items not being soulbound. Sometimes it was such a horrendous pain in the behind in World of WoW-Token Craft. There are Moments when it's becoming an Annoyance and Hindrance. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    What if the legendary Items would be lost forever, aside from the Possibility that they could give these Items to other Players ?

They get removed from the character after an amount of inactive time and added back to the pool of items able to drop or be crafted.
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Gear will NOT bind.

I read on the wiki that "[v]ery little of your gear in AoC will be soulbound.

I'll be completely honest here.

Anyone else also remembering how Sir Steven stated, that for Example " Legendary Items " will be unique as in "ONE. PER. SERVER." ??

Only one legendary TowerShield of ABC~XYZ.

Only one legendary Staff of F̵̨̢̺̼̱̝̣͖̫͉͙̣̽̑̃̔͛̌́͗̉͠ţ̴̺̜̙̙̩̺̞̿h̶̢̭̰̯̬͔̍̾̽̈́͊̐̍̓̀̚̚͠ą̸̧͔̻͈̲̻̪͚͇͙͎̏͂́̈́͑͋̚͠g̵̹͋͌͗n̷̨̨̛̦̝̩͙̗̠̟̼͓̐̑̔͆͗͠.

Only one legendary Buckler of Orcbold the coldblooded. (lol)

Only one legendary Sword, Axe, Mace, Bow, Cloak, Belt, Helmet, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ... ...

Long Story short -> what if the Players/Owners of those Items decide to quit the Game ? - Like, forever.
    What if the Players owning them, die in Reallife ?

I see a few Plus Points for most Items not being soulbound. Sometimes it was such a horrendous pain in the behind in World of WoW-Token Craft. There are Moments when it's becoming an Annoyance and Hindrance. ;)

i think they will be similar to hero weapons or oly jewels. everybody has a chance to re-farm them every month