Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

character alt idea

so this is an idea the golden feather tavern streams brought up that made me think about this topic a bit and realize both the problems that could arise but also their solutions so i felt it to be a good idea to mention them.

now to start with the problems with the first one being if you stick with the current idea to my understanding of one character toon per server which while it would stop a person from managing to get ALL grand master professions if they are dedicated enough and be able to skip a large amount of need for other players at all, it also stops people like me who like making thematic builds over purely min/maxed builds from being able to have some fun making this bard who can cast masterful illusions or this tank who controls the battle field through debuffs of fear or a healer who doesnt heal but instead purely revives people or so on and so on meaning i will ALWAYS be my tank build or my bard build or my mage and there will be no selection especially since maintinang multiple characters on multiple servers while keeping up with the news of each on and your guilds in each one aint feesable.

with the problem now stated being that either you allow people to remove a large part of the social side OR you remove that ability but also gut the ability for your players creativity and freedom to try everything, heres the solution if it aint already being implemented. put simply, you lock the max progression of all characters to the character who has developed their crafting skills the most meaning if you have one guy who grandmasters say wood working, than ALL your characters will now have a lost 1 of their grandmaster options as it will be locked to only being able to be leveled up into wood working with they would still need to do the progression over again to even unlock it on this new character up to grandmaster with of course, the option to nuke all your characters crafting progression if you so choose to allow you to switch to level up a different one. this nuking tho will allow each recipe each character has learned to remain unlocked as i feel thats something that you should get to keep with mind you tho, only the character that earned a recipe like say the recipe for the sword of night and flmae for example, can make it and only of course if they have the required crafting progression to make it meaning you could nuke your characters crafting progression and become a enchanter and still have your weaponsmith recipes to go back to later if you choose to.

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We will each get several alts.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alts

PS Sentences are your friends...they make it easier to understand what you are trying to say.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    fenn1539 wrote: »
    ... put simply, you lock the max progression of all characters to the character who has developed their crafting skills the most meaning if you have one guy who grandmasters say wood working, than ALL your characters will now have a lost 1 of their grandmaster options as it will be locked to only being able to be leveled up into wood working ...
    You can have multiple alts, but to be good crafter with each of them, you must live in a metropolis. And there are only 5 of them and rent might be expensive.
  • Options
    so this is an idea the golden feather tavern streams brought up that made me think about this topic a bit and realize both the problems that could arise but also their solutions so i felt it to be a good idea to mention them.

now to start with the problems with the first one being if you stick with the current idea to my understanding of one character toon per server

If that's what the golden feather tavern are telling you, find a new tavern!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    If that's what the golden feather tavern are telling you, find a new tavern!

I herewith recommend the Hidden Dagger Inn ... ... 😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Ap0ph1sAp0ph1s Member
    i will still say that i do want the professions limited in the way i mentioend because while getting multiple toons on the same server and in the same guild even still will be hard when it comes to maxing out all professions, for those even partially dedicated to a game, things like getting 500 hours in game is small potatos with even 1000 and 1500 is still not hard ESPECIALLY for mmorpgs... basically it would be too easy still to have people who dont ever have to interact with other crafters to finish making or begin making gear.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited March 18
    i will still say that i do want the professions limited in the way i mentioend because while getting multiple toons on the same server and in the same guild even still will be hard when it comes to maxing out all professions, for those even partially dedicated to a game, things like getting 500 hours in game is small potatos with even 1000 and 1500 is still not hard ESPECIALLY for mmorpgs... basically it would be too easy still to have people who dont ever have to interact with other crafters to finish making or begin making gear.

We had a thread like this a month back about limiting alts. A lot of MMO players are altaholics, myself included, and the idea of limiting that to compensate for the very few people that would ever put the 10s of thousands of hours into the game to master everything is not ok.

If anyone ever wanted to put the mammoth amount of time, effort and money into gathering, looting, refining and crafting everything single thing for himself, he would be a fraction of a percentage of the MMO population, and more power to him TBH. As such, not worth making a worse experience for all the rest of us.

Also remember, the guy who spends that much time and effort will definitely avoid your alt limits by spending $60 a month instead of $15. So an alt ban is useless.
  • Options
    Ap0ph1sAp0ph1s Member
    its not an alt ban but simply saying that per each server, your maximum profession potential should be linked to your highest profession levels so if you have one dude who is a grandmaster metal worker, one of your grandmasters will be locked to being metal working on that server for any alt made AND i did add that you could change your profession with maybe a mind wipe tonic or something but of course, than you would have to regain your levels either in your old professions or new ones if you wanted to change some (you will still be allowed to keep any recipes at least so if you do go back, you will be as good as you were before the change) with than simply just make it a bannable TOS offense to play with more than one account on the same server when people can show both accounts are yours and one isnt a family memebers or friends.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer