Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Quest Handholding & Skills/Lighting VFX

ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited March 18 in General Discussion
Handholding/ Quest Guidance:

This was one of the questions discussed from the recent office hours. Honestly, Steven's original take on this way early on in the project is one of the reasons that Ashes had captured me and kept me interested. I don't believe that there should be much of any guidance or handholding, especially " ! " markers on the map or over the npc heads. My personal overall opinion is minimal handholding / guidance is best.

I have quite a few reasons for this, but ill list two reasons for now.
  1. PACE of gameplay. Within the last decade or more, a lot of players just seem to rush to endgame content. They just rush to npc's with specific color & mark indicating "MSQ" (main story quests) - and continue onwards. I'm leaning towards Steven's original viewpoint where there are no indicators on NPCs heads, and i'd prefer no pin-point "X marks the spot" indicators on the map for questing. I think the dynamic world, storyarchs, and events should keep its meaningfulness and at the same time not have my screen / map full indicators. If people don't want to read the entire storyline or message from npc's (which i get), there could be like a "HINT" (similarly to a tl;dr) summary of what they are requesting or wanting. As for new players wanting tutorial, i'm fine with markers ONLY for the tutorial to help get players adjusted to things such as locations of special buildings, such as : religious, social, caravancaries, and other important parts of the game that new players may not be used to. I'm fine with a portion of the map having shaded overlay for quests "general direction", so that players aren't 100% in the blind.

2. Social Experience: I believe, and have experienced first hand in other MMOs (FF11), that not having plain-in-sight nor no brainer quest indicators / markers, lead people to conversations with other players. Yes, MANY will just ask where to go without even trying, but I believe plenty of players will give tips and/or also experience the quests together. I believe less handholding brings out more social experiences with others.

Skills & Lighting VFX :

I'm really getting tired of people constantly complaining about this. People are going crazy about this, almost to a point of laughter. The VFX are fine as is. Ultimately what needs to happen, is that Intrepid just needs to have a SETTING in place where people can adjust how much they want to see. Intrepid doesn't need to change/alter their VFX overall as a one and done thing. It needs to be adjustable downwards from where they have it at. It's fine as is and players can tone it down for their needs client side.
[img][/img]

Comments

• Options
    i would like some of the dialogue to indicate if theres a quest related to it somehow at least via a icon next to the selection , no quest markers over npc heads is fine so you have to talk to all the npcs but its gonna eventually get more annoying if you have to go through every single npc's dialogue in every area just to see if they have a quest.

and at least with the node system its gonna slow people down and make them look around and explore a bit more since they cant just go to each new higher lvl zone
  • Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This is what I liked about FFXI, as a new player if you just try to grind out levels without working on a method of farming gil (money) you would find yourself extremely under powered and the quests were structured in a way so they didn't offer and xp or gil either, quests were shortcuts to getting early gear and/or led to bigger quests or something like a mages scroll. all in all the game was unforgiving and you needed to rely on at least a good duo to get by on grinding xp this combined with the fact that levels alone would get you no where.

this was amazing looking back at it cause it forced you into a point in the game to where you're like okay I can't farm XP cause my gear is ass and these quests are a pain.. so what do i do?

So what did I do? just about any dumb thing I could to make Gil and wasn't feeling like a chore either. I have fond memories of gathering crystals from one major city that were cheap in that area, and then taking them to another city where they weren't and kept doing this as I funded fishing and cooking tradeskills

I haven't had an experience like this outside playing ragnarok online back in the day, most MMOs quest structures are generic and give you everything you should be working for.

For me I would love to see a game stop giving out xp and money rewards, it will also make the devs create more meaningful quests sense the rewards are gone, there's no reason for trash fetch quests
  • Options
    MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There is a recent video (Asmondgold's reaction) on the subject that talks about handholding and sign posting that shows up more and more in games.

It appears at this time that IS is striving to strike a balance between being helpful without being intrusive - Or as pointed out in the video, verisimilitudinous; a plausible simulation of being "real" or an organic game element.

The commission boards simulate the acts of random NPCs posting notes of interest and need. If the devs lean hard into this system we could see notes such as "Speak to <name here> for more information."

NPCs randomly running up to players is a bit trickier due to being taken out of your suspension-of-disbelief when you see the same NPC turning to a player or group of players next to you and stating the same request.

An option to turn off quest markers for quest givers would be nice but most players would leave it on as they would see randomly running around just another way to waste the little amount of time they can devote to the game.

As I stated a long time ago, quest markers for targets is a bit tricky - If I'm given a semi-specific area to look in (ex. "South of the Blue Mountains, East of the Red Desert") I can plot out a grid pattern search. But if I'm just told to look for an obscure location somewhere between points A and B then many players are going to feel that the devs are not respecting their time and effort.

And with the large amount of information that will be quickly posted on the web one can surmise that most players will most likely look up quest information out of game rather than asking random players and NPCs for more help.

Not saying it's a noble goal, it is, but IS has quite a challenge to overcome when it comes to slowing down players who are very much used to racing to "end game" without putting up too many artificial roadblocks that make those players feel like their time is being wasted

Player behavior has been normalized to race to end game. Will be interesting to see how IS adds systems to slow down the race while making those systems feel an organic part of the game.
    owuEH4S.png
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I get many don't like seeing some type of notification that an NPC has some quest or important dialogue. I respec that but I hope for a toggle that turns one on. I personally like it when there's a faint glow around the NPC instead of a big giant exclamation mark.
  • Options
    ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Apok wrote: »
    This is what I liked about FFXI, as a new player if you just try to grind out levels without working on a method of farming gil (money) you would find yourself extremely under powered and the quests were structured in a way so they didn't offer and xp or gil either, quests were shortcuts to getting early gear and/or led to bigger quests or something like a mages scroll. all in all the game was unforgiving and you needed to rely on at least a good duo to get by on grinding xp this combined with the fact that levels alone would get you no where.

I enjoyed FFXI a ton, however I'm not requesting it or expecting to be nearly that restricted. I'm perfectly fine with having NPC's name tags being a different color or highlight / glow for distinguishing between non quest / non crafting npc compared to quests/vendors/crafting npcs. Each type of NPC can have different highlight/glow if need be. But I just don't want to see " ! " over their heads nor on the map.

nanfoodle wrote: »
    I get many don't like seeing some type of notification that an NPC has some quest or important dialogue. I respec that but I hope for a toggle that turns one on. I personally like it when there's a faint glow around the NPC instead of a big giant exclamation mark.

If there is a setting to toggle it on, i'd be fine with where the default state is turned off.

Again as in my OP, I don't mind slight vague help per say. For instance, a quest npc tells you to go and find and rescue a npc in an area, I wouldn't mind seeing a general greyed out overlay (if that quest is toggled on/track) over the map but not a specific point of where that npc is.
    [img][/img]