Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will gear displayed be the actual gear you are wearing?

Anyone know if you see another character if they are actually wearing the gear you see? Or can you just change the appearance of everything? Idk why but I’m old school ans don’t like it when you can change it.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 18
    Fashion and having appearance option in gaming is super important today. The old way will never come back.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 18
    I really hope when it comes to PvP they disable skins and overlays. In New World; one thing I hate, but at the same time I admit I abuse this (like many others in the game) I go heavy build with a great shield and put on skins to make it look like I'm light with a small shield. My main objective in PvP is to get pass the front line guys and target the support players. tricking people into thinking my heavy build is a light build throws the enemy off cause they think I'll go down easy but in reality they're just wasting their time.

I see many light builds optimizing strong ranged dps or healing doing the same but just the other way around (squishy as hell but looks super tanky)

most matches I run around and give people a poke while big team brawls are going on and see how much of their total damage is removed off the health bar. really breaks the immersion when having to do it this way, I would rather characters reflect who they really are rather than covered up by a facade.

FFXIV does this too, it is a little funny to go into a dungeon and see your tank dressed as a chocobo. But that shit gets old quick too I would like to see people for who they really are not how they want me to see them
  • Options
    VeritusVeritus Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Apok wrote: »
    I really hope when it comes to PvP they disable skins and overlays. In New World; one thing I hate, but at the same time I admit I abuse this (like many others in the game) I go heavy build with a great shield and put on skins to make it look like I'm light with a small shield. My main objective in PvP is to get pass the front line guys and target the support players. tricking people into thinking my heavy build is a light build throws the enemy off cause they think I'll go down easy but in reality they're just wasting their time.

I see many light builds optimizing strong ranged dps or healing doing the same but just the other way around (squishy as hell but looks super tanky)

Per the link posted above, it states: A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.

That being said, I am not too sure on what they mean by "default player appearance." I imagine though it would be no cosmetics showing, just the actual gear you're wearing.
    chx8mxn5pu3a.png
  • Options
    edited March 18

most matches I run around and give people a poke while big team brawls are going on and see how much of their total damage is removed off the health bar. really breaks the immersion when having to do it this way, I would rather characters reflect who they really are rather than covered up by a facade.

FFXIV does this too, it is a little funny to go into a dungeon and see your tank dressed as a chocobo. But that shit gets old quick too I would like to see people for who they really are not how they want me to see them

Highly doubt they'll add that option. Why would anyone spend money in cash shop or time to earn unique appearance rewards only to not be able to show them off to everyone around you?
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Highly doubt they'll add that option. Why would anyone spend money in cash shop or time to earn unique appearance rewards only to not be able to show them off to everyone around you?
    Showing off can take place in 95% of your gameplay, if pvp is only 5% of what you do in the game. Especially if the cosmetic visuals disappear only when there's some big amount of flagged people around.
  • Options
    RocknonRocknon Member
    edited March 18
    Fashion and having appearance option in gaming is super important today. The old way will never come back.

Ahh ok, I guess I will have the change with the time. I only asked because AoC seems to be bringing a lot back to the roots. I’m all about fashion. And will often seek items in games purely for what they look like. But imho it breaks immersion when a player is holding a mace and shield and wearing armor but appears as they have cloth clothing on. Like I walk up to a player and say, nice halberd friend, where did you get that? Player says it’s actually a staff…. Do you guys know if this applies to items in hands or just the arms/legs/torso?
  • Options
    RocknonRocknon Member
    edited March 18
    Apok I’m with you on that…. Maybe they could just not change the handheld items so as to identify characters by their weapons and shields? Seems like in sieges and maybe caravan raids it will be scaled down ans flagged off. So PvP aside from a “who am I looking at” based on their equipment standpoint I guess its gunna be illusions all over the place unless it’s toggles off for performance.
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    Cosmetics have become the norm so gotta live with it. On one hand the visual progression is lost (on those who apply cosmetic skins over their actual gear), on the other you're not locked into a look that you don't like.
    The only issue I see is applying cosmetics that don't match your armor class (say wearing cloth skins over heavy armor), where you can't visually tell someone's armor class, unless in AoC telling armor class has no importance, then that's fine too I guess (though I prefer if you had to match skins to armor class at all times).
  • Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

They're supposed to be for you, not a trophy to show off
  • Options
    EhrgeizEhrgeiz Member
    Just give a button in settings to toggle on/off cosmetics. Everyone can play he likes.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited March 19
    Fashion and having appearance option in gaming is super important today.

The old way will never come back.

" Fear the new Way ... ...

We are created by the new Way, made Characters by the new Way, are undone by the new Way.
    Our Fashion Sense's Eye has yet to open.

Fear the new Way. "

They're supposed to be for you, not a trophy to show off

Some People like to show off what is theirs ... ...
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    We'll still have icon-based indicators above players indicate what armor-type they will be wearing.

This has often been a point of contention and concern for forums-users, the past few years. I'm all-for appearance armor, since MMO's seem incomplete without appearance-tabs and the like, these days. Others may disagree, but they're always free to invest $30million of their own money, raise eye-watering amounts via KickStarter, hire their own team, and develop their own MMO, over the next 7-13 years.

• Options
    Rocknon wrote: »
    Anyone know if you see another character if they are actually wearing the gear you see? Or can you just change the appearance of everything? Idk why but I’m old school ans don’t like it when you can change it.

There will be some transmog if understood your question correctly. My opinion is that's sux if you can use transmog for PvP. I'd prefer some cosmectics only with some specific cosmetics for some specific existing gear.

But the majority seems to like transmog.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rocknon wrote: »

Ahh ok, I guess I will have the change with the time. I only asked because AoC seems to be bringing a lot back to the roots. I’m all about fashion. And will often seek items in games purely for what they look like. But imho it breaks immersion when a player is holding a mace and shield and wearing armor but appears as they have cloth clothing on. Like I walk up to a player and say, nice halberd friend, where did you get that? Player says it’s actually a staff…. Do you guys know if this applies to items in hands or just the arms/legs/torso?

There's all sorts of skins in ashes. weapon skins, ability skins. There's transmogrified armor slots and full costume skins if you don't want to transmog individual pieces.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Costumes

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skills#Kickstarter_skill_FX

lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    RocknonRocknon Member
    Anyone know if handheld items will have transmog beyond adding particle effects? Like can you make a sword look like an ax? Or can you just add sparkles/ect?
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In previous iterations including APOC (which was the only place they have sold weapon transmogs) the weapons matched the type. So if you have staff transmogs, they go on staff, you have sword, they go on sword. If that is what you were asking. 2sgxpiv5epkk.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Just show the transmog to other players please. maybe add an icon next to it so people see you are transmogged but it would be shit if you could turn off other peoples gear they want to show..
    uwu
  • Options
    it would be shit if you could turn off other peoples gear they want to show..

I would like it more. Considering someone is playing for himself and not to show off, I don't understand why it matters that much to show your fashion defile ?

Or you play to show of ?

Personnally I hate transmog and never use it, so I should be forced to see it ? Because people spent money on cosmetics ?

I'd be ready to pay every month to not see transmog.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 24
    Just show the transmog to other players please. maybe add an icon next to it so people see you are transmogged but it would be shit if you could turn off other peoples gear they want to show..

This has been brought up over the years and the answer has always been no, there will not be an option to turn off others cosmetics. Those in that camp constantly grasp at the intended overflow mechanics for sieges that a "default appearance" will be applied, but that is a way for Intrepid to make large scale battles that tax peoples machines and their servers work more smoothly. Every iteration it gets better as to what will be displayed in that case. But 99% of the time, it will have no impact on what cosmetics/transmogs you choose to wear.
    From the wiki.
    Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off on their character by the player.[126]
    A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.[127][128]
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    but it would be shit if you could turn off other peoples gear they want to show...

Hmm i am quite neutral regarding that Option.

If it works better for them either PC-wide, or Emotions-wise - fine. Why not ? The People must decide themselves what they want to see or not, in the Room and Freedom of Options to do so ... ...
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    edited March 24
    While plate armor looking like cloth is immersion-breaking, so would be a transmog display toggle. One person seeing you wearing some fancy clothes while the other person sees you in rags hardly makes sense. Hopefully there's no such thing as global "show helmets off for everyone" neither. If I had to choose one of the evils, I'd choose plate armor looking like cloth.

As for the "default player appearance" that may be used for large scale PvP, I think it means that players would revert to some generic look that does not portray the things they wear (be it their actual gear or a transmog).
  • Options
    I can't wait for the almost naked caveman in just a loincloth with a club, soulsgame-style, to actually wear the highest gear and slap people left & right.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    OrymOrym Member
    edited March 27
    I care much more about seeing what class im fighting against but loincloth looking like plate armor is kinda dumb.
  • Options
    Dripyula wrote: »
    I can't wait for the almost naked caveman in just a loincloth with a club, soulsgame-style, to actually wear the highest gear and slap people left & right.

We see the same thing.

Just IMAGINE - a tough, palatially armored Paladin played by a kinda Elitist-Mindset styled Player,
    who probably just slayed a Wyvern if not a fullblown Dragon - with either little Help, or a huge Group of Allies,

then he probably beats a Group of tough looking Bandits into Submission as well,

only to then meet on the Road this " Guy in rags ",
    dirty looking and barefeet " like some piss-poor, destitute Vagrant,

" ONLY TO THEN " get defeated by a Barrage of Punches from a pair of Knuckledusters, or Wooden-Clubs, or primitive Stone-Axe or so. 😆

His Opponent, named " Long Dong Wiener " or so, or " LuLImGladYouMad " or whatever, then proceeds to dance besides his smoldering pile of Ash, laughing and spamming in Text-Chat how he is not even trying.

Haaah. The pectacles and Experiences of being in an MMO. It's great. 😁 . 🥹
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    Yes, the Trans movement is alive and well. The proper way of doing it would be restricting transmogs to pieces of the same gear type for ex. Cloth on cloth, no cloth appearance on heavy armor to get people to attack you. This was a problem with costumes in Archeage. Same for weapons, non of that 'I have a staff but its transmogged to a 2 handed sword', thats ridiculous. Let gear be what it is. If you want to look like you're wearing cloth, wear cloth! Then there would be no need for a UI bandaid in attempt to fix what they broke with their appearance system.
  • Options
    Voeltz wrote: »
    Yes, the Trans movement is alive and well. The proper way of doing it would be restricting transmogs to pieces of the same gear type for ex.

I wouldn't be to sure yet, if the Trans-Culture will be existing in the World of Verra.

Curious Question ? Does it exist in Final Fantasy Fourteen ? Because i think that Game is notorious for an INSANE AMOUNT of Freedom regarding of how to design and style your Character.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    SinderSinder Member
    Dripyula wrote: »

sounds fun
    wbauorbolxt1.png