Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

some thoughts about how the shadow augment could work

so given there will be AT LEAST 32 augments, i realised something while thinking about how each augment we know about might work and i already realized how the bard probably will have an illusion augment and was thinking as i was watching solo leveling and thinking about shadow magic, what would a shadow tank do exactly?

my ultimate thoughts about how a shadow augment for something like a tank would work would be either and or both, using shadows to restrain and drain opponents and restore your life kinda like how offensive/damaging shadow magic in the elder scrolls for example works where the shadows drain your oppnents which would be perfect for a tank but there is also the weird other way it tends to work being summoning shadows but that would only apply to a summoner/rogue in this case meaning the other way shadow magic usually can work with again, the best example being the elder scrolls is a more mind manipualtion type thing which on a shadow guardian would be something like i guess, forcing enemies to fight you or nerfing their abilities to fight others which feels too much like it would overlap with an illusion agument.

this thought made me realise that maybe i should just make a post like this and ask for everyone elses thoughts with mine at least being that i feel the more 'use the shadows to be versitial at all ranges via granting you heavy CC you can use at plenty of ranges' using the shadows to help stop enemies from going after either your teammates while letting them come after you or stopping their movement all together until you are dealt with with you with your magic being hard CC at low cost with the other cost being a weaker defense due to your magic focusing so hard on control meanign YOU can be killed a lot easier than a pure tank/tank BUT you get a lot more ability to force enemies to focus on your and stop them from even trying their luck on your friends maybe even with some small defensive warding magic you can use on yourself or at all ranges again making your more versitile as a tank kinda like aura buffs which could even look SUPER fucking edgy and badass as you wreathe yourself in shadows to boost defense.

Comments

• Options
    I am going to err on the side of caution and assume the shadow guardian would take normal defensive capabilities and turn them into actual tanking abilities with the normal rogue kit. The game will have a LOT of archetypes, which means it is hard to balance. The devs might lean on more modifiers than actual new abilities but I can be wrong.

For example I went back to watch the ranger video they have an ability called hunt of the bear which is a stance that gives increased physical mitigation. It wouldn't be far fetched for a ranger/tank to have that hunt expanded upon to become a full tank stance and have other abilities modified to increase mitigation and threat generation. Rogue might be the same where they have their defensives morphed into tanking abilities to fight.

As for the shadow aspect, it might be an aesthetic change to all the new abilities to be shadow themed animation wise. As for its role? Rogue will be the most mobile class in the game, slap that on with enhanced mitigation then you will have a mobile tank who zooms around. Grabbing aggro from adds and being an off tank sounds key to them.

But who knows? We wait and see :smile:
  • Options
    Ap0ph1sAp0ph1s Member
    koltovince wrote: »
    I am going to err on the side of caution and assume the shadow guardian would take normal defensive capabilities and turn them into actual tanking abilities with the normal rogue kit. The game will have a LOT of archetypes, which means it is hard to balance. The devs might lean on more modifiers than actual new abilities but I can be wrong.

For example I went back to watch the ranger video they have an ability called hunt of the bear which is a stance that gives increased physical mitigation. It wouldn't be far fetched for a ranger/tank to have that hunt expanded upon to become a full tank stance and have other abilities modified to increase mitigation and threat generation. Rogue might be the same where they have their defensives morphed into tanking abilities to fight.

As for the shadow aspect, it might be an aesthetic change to all the new abilities to be shadow themed animation wise. As for its role? Rogue will be the most mobile class in the game, slap that on with enhanced mitigation then you will have a mobile tank who zooms around. Grabbing aggro from adds and being an off tank sounds key to them.

But who knows? We wait and see :smile:

no matter what, i will say that i cant way to do a shadowmancer at least and make a sung jinwoo build cause when the option is so readily avalible, you kinda have no choice but to go for it XD