Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

"Home"-Node Chat Should Be Visible, Anywhere

As immersion-breaking as it might be, we should *ALWAYS* be able to see the chat from our "home" Nodes. We're already going to have area-chats; What's the difference?

If yours truly is 3 Nodes away and a special event starts in my Node-of-citizenship, I'd still like the chance to travel back and assist with it - if time permits. Localized chat-channels can be very handy - especially when trying to figure out dungeon-mechanics. If Group A doesn't know a boss mechanic, why not be able to asks Group B & C, who are separately doing the same dungeon?

Have seen too many concerns about "immersion", as of late. Just thought to throw this out there, before someone starts ranting about chat-channels being immersion-breakers. It's still a game; If someone who is dedicated to their Node normally skips sieges because their Metropolis "always" has it's max-defenders, it'd still be handy to know when the odd situation arises wherein there's 10 minutes left before a Siege, and the defenders stand at 400 out of 500.

Comments

• Options
    I can see both sides of it. Why should you get to know what happens in somewhere that you're not? But then again, the increased communication with other players could be beneficial.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I agree, people shoul always see the home node chat, otherwise people will resort to Discord and other apps to see the node pings anyway. Not having the home node chat just forces people into use external tools.

I know its weird, but it's best having at least some level of communication even when outside the node. It is just like the guild chat when you don't even know where your guildies are.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I agree, people shoul always see the home node chat, otherwise people will resort to Discord and other apps to see the node pings anyway. Not having the home node chat just forces people into use external tools.

That's an excellent point, for sure.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited March 25
    So, would this be restricted to Citizenship? Or would it have a timer on it for nodes you've visited in the last X-hours/X-days/etc?

Would you want this linked to the Companion App, so you can still interact when you're not logged in?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Citizen chat should be the same shit as guild chat. Same "telepathy".

If Steven wants us to have higher loyalties to our nodes - he better fucking give us a reason to have that loyalty and a tool to keep it up.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 25
    Good idea! At the very least a citizen-only chat you can see anywhere. I think node chat is fine being local-only, because if you travel around you'll still want to be able to participate in the local chatter without it being confusing which node the chatter is coming from.

As for the companion app.. hrm.. it might be a bit much for the bigger nodes. Also there is the extra spam it might generate from the bored people sitting on the shitter or in commute. I think I prefer guild-only, maybe alliance chat too, for the companion app.

A list of default chats I can see be relevant:

/whisper - direct message
    /say, /local - within a certain radius of the player.
    /party
    /raid
    /guild
    /alliance
    /officer
    /citizen - All citizens of the node you are citizen of, anywhere
    /node - everyone within the ZOI the player is in.

And then some event-based ones like for sieges. Perhaps for caravans too.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Like most things there is a reason for it. Here was Steven's thinking on the issue in 2018 on citizen's and notifications, and the "need to know."

Whether it be like a siege or a triggered event against a city or like a unique dungeon opportunity... those types of things are going to involve notifications. Especially to the citizens of the city; where you'll be informed of an impending event. Basically it will give you time.[30] – Steven Sharif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNlRMaNZzg&t=1488s
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Reassuring to hear citizens will be notified of major events. But I do like the idea of /citizen chat wherever you are in the world, and then /node chat for the local area (node's ZOI).

The Discord point is a good one, it's absolutely guaranteed to happen anyway, and node citizenry is so core to the game, may as well integrate that feature.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited March 25
    As immersion-breaking as it might be, we should *ALWAYS* be able to see the chat from our "home" Nodes. We're already going to have area-chats; What's the difference?

If yours truly is 3 Nodes away and a special event starts in my Node-of-citizenship, I'd still like the chance to travel back and assist with it - if time permits. Localized chat-channels can be very handy - especially when trying to figure out dungeon-mechanics. If Group A doesn't know a boss mechanic, why not be able to asks Group B & C, who are separately doing the same dungeon?

Have seen too many concerns about "immersion", as of late. Just thought to throw this out there, before someone starts ranting about chat-channels being immersion-breakers. It's still a game; If someone who is dedicated to their Node normally skips sieges because their Metropolis "always" has it's max-defenders, it'd still be handy to know when the odd situation arises wherein there's 10 minutes left before a Siege, and the defenders stand at 400 out of 500.

Im for a maximum of chats, it make the experience more social. But we all know that the more there are chats, the more there are spam, gold sellers, bots and trash talkers.

So I hope the moderation will be solid.

Maybe a minimum level 10 to access to chats ?
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited March 25
    You should be able to see chat's for regions you are somehow involved in, from everywhere in the world.
    Why? Cuz I do not want to join +5 discord groups as a replacement.
    Whether it be like a siege or a triggered event against a city or like a unique dungeon opportunity... those types of things are going to involve notifications. Especially to the citizens of the city; where you'll be informed of an impending event. Basically it will give you time.[30] – Steven Sharif

e071da1b97fcfb6081eec2eb6096697d.gif
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

No arguments here, I mean a event might happen and they need you ASAP, something like that you should be aware of. Heck I wish we had a application that gave us node alerts.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ILLPeonU wrote: »
    No arguments here, I mean a event might happen and they need you ASAP, something like that you should be aware of. Heck I wish we had a application that gave us node alerts.

Already a thing.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Companion_app
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ILLPeonU wrote: »

Already a thing.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Companion_app

That's awesome thank you!
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • Options
    edited March 25
    This is a great idea! I would love for Intrepid to stay away from any third-party apps (like discord) to use for communication. Keep everything "in-house".
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is a great idea! I would love for Intrepid to stay away from any third-party apps (like discord) to use for communication. Keep everything "in-house".

Yeah this is really important. No third-party system lasts forever, and it isn't in Intrepid's control.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    good post
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 26
    Immersion can never truly occur so long as we are staring at a screen. I generally dislike "immersion" as a reason for anything.

Given we will all be using things like discord, restricting any chat by location makes no sense.

What is a home node?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Check out nodes here: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nodes

If you choose to be a citizen of a node, that would be your "home node."
  • Options
    I agree this would be a great addition to the game. If the worry is that communication would allow players to react to events more quickly like a caravan ambush, there is already a travel time limitation to reach the attack. And like everyone else pointed out if the functionality isn't in the game players will use Discord or some other application to have the same communication method.
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »
    ....Maybe a minimum level 10 to access to chats ?

On one hand, this might be a good way to let players explore the game, before they get involved in Node-happenings. On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of us will have played MMOs before; We like to start getting the big picture, from the get-go.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 26
    I enjoy plenty of immersion when I'm playing excellent video games.
    Playing with Fantm - I agree he probably does not experience much immersion.

Communication anywhere cannot be immersion-breaking in a High Magic Fantasy setting.
    It could be immersion-breaking in a Low Magic Fantasy setting.
    And would be immersion-breaking in a mundane Medieval Historical Fiction setting.
  • Options
    agreed
    Referral Code : 8GTVW547SYDTHE6Nashesofcreation.com/r/8GTVW547SYDTHE6N
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited April 10
    I suppose the question would be: Should it be an open chat channel for everyone or should it be restricted to notifications and perhaps node leadership?

If its everyone node-wide that could get cluttered with a lot of nonsense and potentially bury all important info. I'm on the restricted side.

Edit: The app looks fantastic, but lets put it in game too. Don't want to force people to use an app.
  • Options

People would love it like hell when they don't need to use Teamspeak or Discord or whatever constantly while running the Game at the same Time. I know i would. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 11
    I dont like global chats. It's a nonsense chat roller, just random spam. Close proximity chat (general) area chat (shout) are the way to go.

If something big is happening in the node people can whisper their friends, spead the word.
    Or light the beacons idk
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I dont like global chats. It's a nonsense chat roller, just random spam. Close proximity chat (general) area chat (shout) are the way to go.

If something big is happening in the node people can whisper their friends, spead the word.
    Or light the beacons idk

But what about one with limited access. Just node system messages and node leadership?
  • Options
    RE:

*You're* "limited"-access!

• Options
    If something big is happening in the node people can whisper their friends, spead the word. Or light the beacons idk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm0wz0ZlYqc

Node player: " I can't teleport back!! Its still on cooldown. Nooo!! "
    Denethor (player): " My guild... has betrayed me. "

:lol:
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    ....By the MIGHTY length of my hair?

EVERYONE on the server should know when a threat arises, in our Node!

....So, pretty much everyone. My hair isn't AI/deepfake, after all.

• Options
    By Tyranthraxus' mighty Hair (lol), i need the Possibility of getting an ingame Message and/or Chat Message that is all like :

" OMG!!! The plus Five-hundred People strong Psycho-Guilds of Nihilum6000 and LoLoLoLNoobz plus the Clans IDYM and GoYK are attacking our Nodes. Come back Everyone - we're getting our bxxxholes spread !! "

when i am right now in the Middle of a legendary Quest-Speech by some NPC, or Lore-File - or finally being rewarded after the End of a horrific, difficult Dungeon that kept my Party and me busy for several Hours until we finally beat it. :D

But Asz, some might say,
    why always so vulgar and lowbrow ? Well of Course my Examples don't need to reflect actual ingame Language. But not only have i actually seen Video Gamers as vulgar as this -> but they also make for a funny Reference or Example of how a global or Area Chat could look like. :tongue:
    a50whcz343yn.png