Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unpopular opinion: incremental level cap increases

blatblat Member
edited March 28 in General Discussion
Similar to WoW's v popular recent "Seasons of Discovery", where they went 0-60 in 4 phases (25, 40, 50, 60).

It's to help protect us from ourselves, and slow down the mad stampede to max level in a game we've waited years for.

Classic fans were ultra #nochanges to begin with, then that went out the door for SoD and the phased level cap was massively popular in the end.

It's also pretty RL-friendly in that those with more time can obviously continue developing their characters (horizontally), while those with less time are never left too far behind in terms of level.

Comments

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 28
    Sorry... strong feelings on this one. Absolutely freaking not. This is something that came from chinese/mobile MMOs and I hate this. I almost stopped playing SoLo and Tarisland because of this.

We are all adults here, I don't need protection against myself and don't want developers telling me how much I can/can not play.

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'd imagine SoD was released that way because even though there's new stuff to uncover - people have already solved vanilla wow, so instead of going for new discoveries they'd just go max out their lvls to feel better about themselves.

Ashes will be a new game with a completely new world and with shitton of stuff to do. Let grinders go and do their grinding, while everyone else can take it at their own pace.

Also, freeholds can only be bought at lvl50. If you're suggesting making leveling take EVEN LONGER - players won't have a huge chunk of gameplay for a very very long time.

Also also, as much as I'd love for everyone to properly enjoy owpvp - a lot of people won't. Limiting upwards progression would put more and more people against each other on content spots, which means waaay more pvp (and definitely more PKing), which in turn would make those who dislike pvp think that the game is all about pvp, when it's not.

Having no limit on leveling would allow hardcores to fight hardcores at top lvls, while everyone else can take it slower and have a less pvpey gameplay.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Unpopular indeed :D

No thanks from me.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Liniker wrote: »
    Sorry... strong feelings on this one. Absolutely freaking not. This is something that came from chinese/mobile MMOs and I hate this. I almost stopped playing SoLo and Tarisland because of this.

We are all adults here, I don't need protection against myself and don't want developers telling me how much I can/can not play.

Yeah fair enough. I expected this : )
    Tbh it's not something I'm desperate for, mostly just interested in hearing the views.
  • Options
    FlankerFlanker Member
    Artificially gatekeeping the progression in MMO is definitely not something I personally enjoy
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    All reasonable. Just putting it out there.
    It's not something I'd have voted for either, but seeing the effect it's had on SoD has changed my mind.

I really can't stand the mad level dash, and quite like it when the server can progress together.

But @NiKr raises some solid points.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    They already do this through nodes tbh which is a better way to do it. (doesn't mean there are 0 high lvl monsters around just because all nodes as a low level btw just less content).

Better for things to be done in a more fluid way where people can still edge forward than hard controls to just halt player progress.