Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Leveling Up Effect

GojiohGojioh Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
It wasn't until the end of today's showcase where I noticed that Steven had leveled up twice (from 15-17) as a fighter class. The first ding from 15-16 was cut-out, but the second one (16-17) was showcased (photo below). As we can see, there is a light, ashen yellow glow that surrounds the player. If you weren't paying attention for your ding, you honestly would have never noticed it. More than likely this is still a WIP, but might as well talk about it and give our glorious devs a little feedback and inspiration, just in case.

So, here's my question to you all. What would you like to see when you gain a new level? Keeping it simple with minimal effects? A screen shake with glowing effects? The actual words saying "Level Up" appear across your screen? A glowing ashen phoenix rises from your body and beams into the sky? And what about the duration?

Let's hear some creativity.

zuifki9jao2d.png
(Ashes of Creation Alpha Two Fighter Archetype Preview @ 1:29:12)

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    If leveling stay at the previously promised speeds - I definitely want a pretty big animation and probably a "leveled up" text across the screen (even better if all of that is optional). Purely because I want that dopamine hit after days of grinding a lvl.
  • Options
    Gojioh wrote: »
    So, here's my question to you all. What would you like to see when you gain a new level? Keeping it simple with minimal effects? A screen shake with glowing effects? The actual words saying "Level Up" appear across your screen? A glowing ashen phoenix rises from your body and beams into the sky? And what about the duration?

I like the Idea with the "Phoenix" rising from your Body and dashing up into the Sky.

One can effortlessly see the Level-Up in for Example World of WoW-Token Craft. I dare say Ashes could make the Effect a tiny bit smaller if they want. But it should stay something the Players can easily notice and which is kinda hard to miss.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    StewBadStewBad Member
    A definitive sound effect will be necessary in my opinion as well. The animation shouldn't get lost amongst a bunch of other effects if you happen to "ding" mid-battle. It would be fantastic if for your final level, there were a special animation that were maybe a bit more dramatic.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited April 24
    First MMO was EQ1. When you leveled that sound was epic and everyone knew it. It was a sound you looked forward to. I lean to the side of making leveling as grand as possible.
  • Options
    KriscoKrisco Member
    In a game like BDO, the first 60 levels shouldn't have animations or sound effects. You level so fast through those levels that you seriously end up in animation lock. In a game like ashes, if levels are going to feel rewarding, animations and sounds that compliment that are a huge part of the experience!
    LF_Forum_Signature-1.gif?ex=661130de&is=65febbde&hm=d6e86072253fa34a5000bf40b0b2b15f59f64c93ae452e9d84727163bd6d7b1a&
  • Options
    StewBad wrote: »
    A definitive sound effect will be necessary in my opinion as well. The animation shouldn't get lost amongst a bunch of other effects if you happen to "ding" mid-battle. It would be fantastic if for your final level, there were a special animation that were maybe a bit more dramatic.

Maybe they could have their eagle-screech thing that they use to start off the livestreams.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Gojioh wrote: »
    So, here's my question to you all. What would you like to see when you gain a new level?

Hmmm, there are going to be people here with polar-opposite views on this. So, it'll have to be something noticeable enough that you actually recognise that you've levelled up, but something unobtrusive enough that it doesn't upset the grumpy bastards who don't like fun.

Maybe a little flash of gold, and some sort of little animation on your Level counter or stat bars or something, accompanied with a subtle sound effect.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the toon should lift off and fly around the moons.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to see something unique to Ashes.
    I liked the over the top stuff that Wildstar did but I know a lot of people didn't.
    Perhaps a Phoenix diving into the player as if adding power.
    As long as it's not the boring same old thing from the last 20+ years.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Definitely needs a headline towards the top of screen that calls out your character leveling up.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    If it's a huge animation, can it wait until combat ends?