Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Weapon Skill Trees; Individual Weapon Trees compared to Weapon Set Trees

The recent Fighter Showcase showed a basic concept of the weapon skill tree for the two-handed sword.

A weapon tree is a nice idea. It would help with rounding the edges of playstyles with so many classes in Ashes of Creation.

Though, this got me thinking. Which way is AoC going. Are they going with individual weapon trees, meaning each weapon has their own tree? Or, weapon set trees, meaning the style of play is tree, such as weapon and shield is one tree, dual wielding another tree, etc?

Both have their pros and cons. Having a tree for each weapon can be more in depth and detailed, but could lead to some game breaking results.

While a tree for each weapon set offers less options, but can be better balanced for each player's playstyle.

Either way, the weapon skill trees are going to be interesting. While those at AoC have stated they want to separate magic staffs from melee staffs, it is likely with so many hybrid classes, it would be better to have a skill tree for staffs that is part magic and part melee, to allow the players to balance what they need for the class they are playing.

The same for other weapons, including wands and shields.

There is a lot of potential in what is being presented. I look forward to learning more.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think they are going with a tree for each weapon, from what it sounded like in the fighter video.

The Wiki has 19 weapons listed, if we separate the 1H and 2H axes, maces and swords. There is probably going to be a certain amount of copy and paste in some of the weapon trees, but even if not, I am completely ok with having 19 different weapon trees to progress in. In fact, I kind of love it. It both scratches my itch for alternate progression, and it let's me experiment with unusual combos like a wand/scepter fighter.

If you go to 53:35 of the fighter video, what they say sound like a weapon tree for each individual weapon type is coming.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Does Off-Hand have its own skill-tree, though?
    Seems like Dagger will have a branch for dual-wielding.
    And One-Hand Sword might have a branch for Sword & Shield.

We'll have to see.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    Does Off-Hand have its own skill-tree, though?
    Seems like Dagger will have a branch for dual-wielding.
    And One-Hand Sword might have a branch for Sword & Shield.

We'll have to see.

This reminds me, is FFXI (and sorta DAoC I guess) really the only game where you can just dual wield any combination of weapons you can one-hand?

Every time I see discussions of Dual Wielding lately, it sounds really restrictive compared to what I'm familiar with, but I always figured that was due to weapon restrictions by class.

Obviously I'm biased to not expect any restrictions on Dual Wielding in Ashes because there aren't restrictions on Dual Wielding in FF11. Procs and such determined by mainhand, done... right?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.