Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dodge

Is there going to be some kind of dodge mechanic?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dodge already exists but you wouldn't think so considering the pvp and pve standard currently.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ShabooeyShabooey Member
    edited April 2
    I think it's an important mechanic and have been slightly disappointed it's not really been shown that much. Definitely would like to see how it's working and the intention for it going forward.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    athoss7391 wrote: »

You mean manual dodge or old school dodge with a probality of dodging without doing nothing ?
  • Options
    athoss7391 wrote: »

This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Evasion
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    There will be dodge mechanics, but those won't generate i-frames and there seem to be limits to how jumping behind certain objects can prevent damage (see Collision). Additionally there are spells like the Mages Chain Lightning that are able to bend around objects to hit.

The reason we have been given on why i-frames has been that being able to fully negate damage via i-frames would nullify a significant portion of gear advantage. I would suspect (not "know for certain") this has been a lesson of observing ome players in (early?) New World just go naked with low level ice gauntlets and dominate.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    It doesn't matter anyway because fighter can change where skills land on the fly so good luck dodging that.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    Songcaller wrote: »
    It doesn't matter anyway because fighter can change where skills land on the fly so good luck dodging that.

With the way doding is planned now I think it will still be advantageous for alert player who try to dodge, since you will get a boost to your defensive stats. At least that is what it reads like on the wiki.
  • Options
    I think there's been a move away from dodges and a move into active blocking instead. Though there is plenty of time to see the efficacy of dodge.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    My guess would be to have both as "soft" defense mechanics in place which you would take either one or the other depending on your current weapon to go with. And at least for now it seems to me a decent enough approach - always remembering that it'll take some in depth Alpha 2 to see whether the current approach is actually viable when applied ingame.