Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What happened to the fighter's demonstration two years ago?

I make this post to express my point of view on the latest update of the fighter and focused more on the basic/automatic attack which in my opinion was a degradation of this in the last livestream.

Intrepid and the developers did a great job in developing the fighter archetype in the devs stream of the year 2022 in terms of basic attack, here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3LydR8VssY&t=724s

And my concerns about the fighter's last demonstration.

Character movement is very stiff when attacking, resulting in clunky animations, particularly with basic attacks. Little movement or inclination towards attacks, which would contribute to the feeling of weight that a two-handed weapon should have. Basic attacks with the greatsword now appear unnatural; They should be longer and wider movements, as demonstrated in the 2022 devs stream. The character should bend his knees and adopt a wider stance when he is in combat and strafe from the side when he moves sideways. An Orc should have especially longer and wider steps, just like other races.

The size of the sword should be a little larger, there is a reason why it is called a greatsword and not a sword. And the attack speed is too fast for a 2-handed weapon, I suggest reducing it. Remove mana in the fighter class and replace it with fury or adrenaline.

Conclusion. Bringing back the basic attack of the fighter from two years ago would be easier for the developers and they would only focus on improving and optimizing the skills.

Suggestions.

abandon hybrid combat and focus on one, and thus accelerate the combat development process of all classes. abandon the excess of colors in the skill animations and identify each class with a color that is either brighter or opaque.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    TL:DR

The combat animation doesn't look polished enough for me. Please change the entire development direction of the games combat system to fix this.
  • Options
    PyrololPyrolol Member
    It’s just a basic attack bro, doesn’t need to be fancy hence “basic”
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    TL:DR

The combat animation doesn't look polished enough for me. Please change the entire development direction of the games combat system to fix this.

TLDR

Forum dweller
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    The design evolves over time. Especially the practical side of it. I'd imagine that previous showcase didn't work as well with what they're going for right now (that is skills and weapon passives).

They'll still be polishing the visuals and animations throughout the testing phases, so we don't know how it'll look as a final product.
  • Options
    FlankerFlanker Member
    The most important thing is it that it looks good enough for Alpha 2 and everything most likely will still get polished in future
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Stuff happens

xgu7nh8h9owh.png
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 7
    Sauronplay wrote: »
    I make this post to express my point of view on the latest update of the fighter and focused more on the basic/automatic attack which in my opinion was a degradation of this in the last livestream.

Intrepid and the developers did a great job in developing the fighter archetype in the devs stream of the year 2022 in terms of basic attack, here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3LydR8VssY&t=724s

And my concerns about the fighter's last demonstration.
    Um... It's in the very title of the demo.
    2 years ago, the devs demoed the Basic Attacks for two Melee Weapons.
    Sure, they happened to use a Fighter to wield the two Weapons that were demoed and we saw a few of the Fighter Active Skills.
    But that was not a Fighter demo.
    It doesn't say Fighter in the title.

It's not Fighter Basic Attack.
    Rather it is the Great Sword Basic Attack. Which might look different with a Ren'Kai than it does a Kaelar.
    Although, yes, they also did tweak various aspects of combat in the last two years.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This post totally reminds me that there is a bunch of weirdos (myself and my group absolutely included) who just keep liking how Ashes used to look more than what it's being developed to look like.

I've seen old Alpha-1 Siege visuals (and gameplay ofc) in another post today and immediately had the thought of wanting to go back to that.

If any dev of any other game is reading this in the future for some reason, yes, please make your stuff like the original Melee Weapon showcase instead.

For the weirdos!
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    SauronplaySauronplay Member
    edited April 8
    Azherae wrote: »
    This post totally reminds me that there is a bunch of weirdos (myself and my group absolutely included) who just keep liking how Ashes used to look more than what it's being developed to look like.

I've seen old Alpha-1 Siege visuals (and gameplay ofc) in another post today and immediately had the thought of wanting to go back to that.

If any dev of any other game is reading this in the future for some reason, yes, please make your stuff like the original Melee Weapon showcase instead.

For the weirdos!

I think you're exaggerating friend, it's just a point of view, in fact I explained the incredible work that the developers did in the fighter's 2022 auto attack demo nothing more, I'm worried that they have modified these mechanics and restarted them, but I am aware of It is still in development and I love this game.
  • Options
    catibriecatibrie Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited April 8
    Funny the thing I liked most about the latest class vidoe was the animations.

Movement had the feeling of weight without locking the character in an animation. Over needing to break animation becouse the damage comes at the end. The ainamation were always short & the damage came at the end. IMO this was epicly done. Now if they just lessened the blood effects to something realistic.
  • Options
    I'm just shook it's been almost 2 YEARS since this video. Time really flies by
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm just shook it's been almost 2 YEARS since this video. Time really flies by

It's actually somewhat sad for us who liked the old better, because it feels like they spent 2 years making it worse.

But it must be better for someone else, and that's a good thing.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited April 9
    I see you copied parts of my post on the feedback thread to make your case :) I'm definitely in agreement, the animations from the first basic attacks video years ago were much better, the new one feels like a downgrade. It was full body movement which is what made the animations look and feel fluid. They changed it to split body so now the new animation looks awkward/unnatural, that's essentially what I was getting at with my feedback post. If I'm remembering correctly, some of the feedback from the original basic attacks preview mentioned they would like full control of their character at all times, even when attacking, so that is probably why they changed directions. If you noticed from the fighter showcase, all the abilities with full body animations look and feel the best for ex. Maime and Blitz. There are obviously others that still need work, but that's another story. Still, that's not to say they can't fix and improve the new basic attack animation. The biggest thing really is the footwork, if they can slow down the steps overall and widen the character stance while in combat, it would look much better. Its possible to have full body animations including the feet/legs while also giving the player complete control, so I'm not sure why they're not doing that.
  • Options
    SauronplaySauronplay Member
    edited April 9
    Voeltz wrote: »
    I see you copied parts of my post on the feedback thread to make your case :) I'm definitely in agreement, the animations from the first basic attacks video years ago were much better, the new one feels like a downgrade. It was full body movement which is what made the animations look and feel fluid. They changed it to split body so now the new animation looks awkward/unnatural, that's essentially what I was getting at with my feedback post. If I'm remembering correctly, some of the feedback from the original basic attacks preview mentioned they would like full control of their character at all times, even when attacking, so that is probably why they changed directions. If you noticed from the fighter showcase, all the abilities with full body animations look and feel the best for ex. Maime and Blitz. There are obviously others that still need work, but that's another story. Still, that's not to say they can't fix and improve the new basic attack animation. The biggest thing really is the footwork, if they can slow down the steps overall and widen the character stance while in combat, it would look much better. Its possible to have full body animations including the feet/legs while also giving the player complete control, so I'm not sure why their not doing that.

Yes friend, sorry for not quoting your comment from the fighter discussion, your comment agreed with my vision of the Figher archetype and everything in general.

Very good comment and analysis of streaming and your vision of the archetype in mmorpgs.
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    No worries. Glad to see someone shares that vision. Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    Well, put me in the category that likes split-body animations and movement control during most skills. I also like having damage/effect happen at the end of an animation (even if it limits artistry options), so we don't have to deal with animation canceling arguments and shenanigans.

Full-body animations will always look better. But if you allow movement during them then you need to make a separate animation for each direction of movement, because an attack animated for strafing right looks bad if the character is actually strafing left. And even then, after making extra animations, what do you do if the character changes direction mid-animation? The usual solution: root players during animations.

I personally hated New World combat because of the fact that just about every combat action rooted you, even though it looked cool.