Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AI! Is there a race against time?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Neox365 wrote: »
    AI can´t even write Proper C++ code

from what I hear its pretty good at doing a bunch of the busy work. If you know coding you just have to correct it from time to time. Just because its not perfectly doing everything for you doesnt make it useless.

we've had code generators for decades now and they are better than ai xddd
    not saying ai wont be able to do it better in the future, sure its possible. ai is the future, but ai "has been being the future" since the 60s or earlier
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

from what I hear its pretty good at doing a bunch of the busy work. If you know coding you just have to correct it from time to time. Just because its not perfectly doing everything for you doesnt make it useless.

not saying ai wont be able to do it better in the future, sure its possible. ai is the future, but ai "has been being the future" since the 60s or earlier

So to clarify, You have had programs that you can tell to "create C++ code for an interactive inventory where I can place items in it, and take them out." and it will just give you everything copy pasta like?

Just so we can sort this out, here's the answer chat gpt gave me. I have no clue about coding, so please tell me what its getting horribly wrong here.

https://chat.openai.com/share/2bbd0233-e3a0-4c5f-94cf-47e8a431d8ab
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 15
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    That's yet to be determined when it case to quality. Speed is the big reason developers are interested and needing less man power.

Plus A.I.'s don't need to be paid a Salary - and need no sleeping or eating and so on. ;)

As the Developer Team of Intrepid is working hard and long however to bring all the good Mechanics and Contents of Ashes to Life which many People loved already on the earlier ArcheAge,

i think they won't leave it to A.I. To many Chances that some Mistakes will be made and Players disappointed, won't there not ?
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited April 17

Then it starts coding itself. Now you worry.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited April 19

So to clarify, You have had programs that you can tell to "create C++ code for an interactive inventory where I can place items in it, and take them out." and it will just give you everything copy pasta like?

Just so we can sort this out, here's the answer chat gpt gave me. I have no clue about coding, so please tell me what its getting horribly wrong here.

https://chat.openai.com/share/2bbd0233-e3a0-4c5f-94cf-47e8a431d8ab

yes. kind of

so an inventory is nothing more than an array (or a list). you can use other data structures if you want, such as a dictionary (check your big o notation), but I wont go there, ill keep it simple.

the same code that you would use to create a grocery list and add food to it, is the same code that you would write to create an inventory system, or a todo app, minus the variable names. i can use a code generator to create a list, a method to add items to it, and another one to remove items and I can use that generic code for an inventory system in a video game, a grocery list, a shopping cart, etc, etc. that's also code that has already been tested and optimized, so I don't need to do that again.

code made by ai needs to be tested. why? because ai doesn't give you the solution to what you want, it gives you what it thinks is the most probable solution. for example that code that you posted gave me a headache with all the if else's. i gave chatgpt the same prompt you did but told it to write the code using design patterns (check the design patterns book by gang of four) and it still gave me an if else and a for loop! i had to tell it to do it again and explicitly tell it to not use the if else's and for loops. without going into details, they are bad and made the code harder to read and test. to be fair, you could ask the ai to write the tests as well, or use TDD (test driven development) to create your programs, which is an improvement.

also, that code seems to have been made for a console program. it also put a big switch in the main function (ewww more smelly code) I'm an advocate of not putting code in the main function, only calling code. a lot of people do this too. switch cases are smelly as well, but its ok to use one for your main menu inside a while loop if you are writing a console program.

also, I haven't used c++ since 2014 or so so I don't remember all the nuances, but c++ requires manual memory management and garbage collection. chances are, there's something fked up in the code chat gpt wrote, but it doesn't know because it learns form good code and bad code. you also need to tell it the exact prompts. a non programmer wouldn't know how unsafe and difficult c++ is, then builds an app using chat gpt. 1 week later the app crashes and he cant fix the issue. he doesn't know whats going on. app is dead. ai is probably better now with languages that have automatic garbage collection, maybe minus javascript since you would still need to know about certain things, such as object freeze.

other nuances include using functional programming. for example, most languages have a way of removing elements from an array or a list (in the example you posted, chatgpt used vector.erase(), you also have vector.popback()) in javascript, you can use array.pop(), you can also use array.splice(). ai code generators would most likely use these methods, but you shouldn't. using filter() is safer since it creates a copy of the array minus the element(or item) you want to remove. use the equivalent for other languages.

ai doesn't know this because it doesn't know coding. you would have to include these things in the prompt. also, ai isn't considering how extensible and maintenable the code is, or if you need to modify it or add / remove things later. maybe only if you tell it so. writing a program isn't an issue. maintaining it is.
    prompt would probably be so complex that it would be faster to just write the damn thing yourself.

if you don't know the pitfalls to avoid from the specific languages the ai is using, you wont be able to tell that to the ai generator. a regular code generator made by a human already took that into consideration.

we mostly use code generators for boilerplate stuff though, although I've heard google is a decade or 2 ahead of everyone else in code generators, from someone who used to work there. the rest of us who don't have access to that technology just use the cli to generate certain stuff.

also, compilers, transpilers and interpreters are code generators, they have existed since the 50s. we don't write in assembly directly anymore. every time you see int age = 20; or print("hello world") that code is evaluated and the equivalent assembly code is generated automatically for you and then made into machine language. no ai needed (but probably not the answer you were looking for since you asked about the inventory).

to put it in perspective, before the 50s programming was a job of 2. you had one programmer write the code in a paper, then another one translated the code into computer language. then we got fortran and lisp. now programming was a 1 man's job. but guess what? people didn't lose their jobs. we got more programmers even though we needed less people to do the same job, and we still need more.

i have messed around before with chat gpt, and it writes really dirty code. I'm not saying things cant improve, but we arent there yet. its definitely a helpful tool in the toolkit, but not a replacement for humans yet.

edit: you also have libraries and frameworks made by other people. you could simply download an inventory library or asset, then slap it into your project and it will be far far better than asking ai to code it for you.
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    That's yet to be determined when it case to quality. Speed is the big reason developers are interested and needing less man power.

Plus A.I.'s don't need to be paid a Salary - and need no sleeping or eating and so on. ;)

As the Developer Team of Intrepid is working hard and long however to bring all the good Mechanics and Contents of Ashes to Life which many People loved already on the earlier ArcheAge,

i think they won't leave it to A.I. To many Chances that some Mistakes will be made and Players disappointed, won't there not ?

but you need to pay someone who writes the prompts and know what pitfalls to avoid ;)
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited April 19
    another thing i forgot to mention, you need to consider what kind of app you are building and for what?

if you are making a webapp, nothing beats using observables and functional reactive programming for asynchronous code and HTTP requests. but if you are building a microcontroller for an operating system, then you want to use a more imperative or procedural style because of certain limitations. and finally, if you are making a video game, you would want to use a more object oriented approach. you don't want to use a functional style here, since all that boxing and unboxing of thousands and thousands of functions on your update function every frame will make your player's computers crash. these are things to consider that ai doesn't know. prompts would be too complex.

also, more time is spent reading code than writing code anyways, just throwing that out there ;3

sorry for the triple post T_T
  • Options
    but you need to pay someone who writes the prompts and know what pitfalls to avoid ;)

The One who scripted the A.I., of Course.

But the A.I. itself ? When it makes the Job of +20 to +30 People or even more at once ? Why would pay something that has no free Will and will make whatever you order it to, Twenty-four-Seven every Day of the Year ? ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »

The One who scripted the A.I., of Course.

But the A.I. itself ? When it makes the Job of +20 to +30 People or even more at once ? Why would pay something that has no free Will and will make whatever you order it to, Twenty-four-Seven every Day of the Year ? ;)

the one who scripted the ai.... so basically If I make an ai that can code (and you actually mean a team of devs) they have to travel all over the world every time someone wants to use it?xD

also, ai programmers arent video game programmers, or web devs, or phone devs, etc. you would basically need to spend thenext 20 - 30 years learning about all the stuff you need to avoid in ever single domain in programming so that you can then start giving prompts?

or

become a programmer, get good in one area, and give the prompt...or just build the damn thing yourself

things might change in the future, but not anytime soon. again, been like that since the 50s xD
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Game develpment companies don't hardcode when making games like they used to. We are in the area game engines. AI will be used to do coding. The options for custom coding because of AI will grow. AI is going to change the landscape when it comes to coding.
  • Options
    I think the race against time is when someone like me who has no experience building a game can use AI to build a game with systems with as much depth as AOC. When that becomes a reality would be when the race has finished. I think that finish line is likely 10ish years out. We need to make advancements in energy consumption and creation to power our current AI models. We also need to implement a plethora of new materials engineering AI has developed recently.
    Overall they are racing against time but I doubt it will be a huge issue. The primary issue will just be the augmentation that AI allows developers to build games much quicker. That is happening now, but i stick to my 10+ year timeline for fully fleshed out games being possible for non game developers.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited April 24
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    I think the race against time is when someone like me who has no experience building a game can use AI to build a game with systems with as much depth as AOC. When that becomes a reality would be when the race has finished. I think that finish line is likely 10ish years out. We need to make advancements in energy consumption and creation to power our current AI models. We also need to implement a plethora of new materials engineering AI has developed recently.
    Overall they are racing against time but I doubt it will be a huge issue. The primary issue will just be the augmentation that AI allows developers to build games much quicker. That is happening now, but i stick to my 10+ year timeline for fully fleshed out games being possible for non game developers.

uhmmm...you could do that as early as 10 years ago without using ai (not sure if earlier though, but probably). and now you even have visual scripting (I don't recommend it) but you basically just click things and build a complex game...

we've also had the no-code movement for decades. we've had non ai code generators for a while now...and they are better than ai (which we've had for a couple of decades as well). perfect ai code generators are probably still a good 20-50 years into the future.