Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How should item distribution in party be handled

Since they are asking about item drops I think it would be good to talk about how to handle loot in party's mostly for grouping with randoms.

I think its very important depending on how much variance there is for example if after an hour group earns 100g each a simple round robin is fine however if its all about rare lotto drops and 1 person got 800g everyone else got 10g its going to cause a lot of issues.

I would like people to post the loot rules they would like to see followed by why they think its the best way I will go first

Round robin:
Pro) everyone gets something.
Con) might be massively unfair and there's no player input so it can feel bad.

Need/greed rolls:
Pro) hype for high rolls and feels more fair because you got to press a button.
Con) people will roll on things they don't need to sale later and if you lose all the rolls on a item you need pug after pug it can be really demoralizing.

Item auction:
Pro) everyone gets something on everything that drops. helps promote economy because everyone will care a ton about earning gold.
Con) incentivizes buying gold and would make people who cant play as much feel like they cant ever get anything

Free for all:
Pro) I don't see any for pugs but its needed for friends
Con) makes it more important to hug things when they die to grab loot then helping with the fight.

Those are the main common ones off the top of my head but I did have an idea that very much needs to be fleshed out

Roll/sale: My idea you ether roll for the item if you want it but the other option is a little complicated basically you pay the party 50% of the value if you win and if everyone hits sale 50% of its value gets split between everyone. this next part isn't 100% needed but to make it make since lore/gameplay wise there's a black market vender collecting these items(got this mostly from Albion online) that players can buy from at maybe 80% of the value to resale themselves so the items are still ending up in the hands of the players and the gold isn't coming from thin air you can even make it so they party doesn't get any gold until the black market sales the item.
Pro)everyone feels like they are earning something no matter who wins. The winner gets the item for far far cheaper then market.
Con) still might make people feel like they need to buy gold but at 50% market it stops the biggest problem of upbidding 10x the price for rare items to hoard them all. it feels weird to here items teleporting to black market in a game where moving items is a big deal.

There are a lot a flaws with Roll/sale hence my post what do YOU think is the best way to handle high value drops in a pug.

Comments

• Options
    itwashear wrote: »
    Since they are asking about item drops I think it would be good to talk about how to handle loot in party's mostly for grouping with randoms.

I think its very important depending on how much variance there is for example if after an hour group earns 100g each a simple round robin is fine however if its all about rare lotto drops and 1 person got 800g everyone else got 10g its going to cause a lot of issues.

I would like people to post the loot rules they would like to see followed by why they think its the best way I will go first

Round robin:
    Pro) everyone gets something.
    Con) might be massively unfair and there's no player input so it can feel bad.

Need/greed rolls:
    Pro) hype for high rolls and feels more fair because you got to press a button.
    Con) people will roll on things they don't need to sale later and if you lose all the rolls on a item you need pug after pug it can be really demoralizing.

Item auction:
    Pro) everyone gets something on everything that drops. helps promote economy because everyone will care a ton about earning gold.
    Con) incentivizes buying gold and would make people who cant play as much feel like they cant ever get anything

Free for all:
    Pro) I don't see any for pugs but its needed for friends
    Con) makes it more important to hug things when they die to grab loot then helping with the fight.

Those are the main common ones off the top of my head but I did have an idea that very much needs to be fleshed out

Roll/sale: My idea you ether roll for the item if you want it but the other option is a little complicated basically you pay the party 50% of the value if you win and if everyone hits sale 50% of its value gets split between everyone. this next part isn't 100% needed but to make it make since lore/gameplay wise there's a black market vender collecting these items(got this mostly from Albion online) that players can buy from at maybe 80% of the value to resale themselves so the items are still ending up in the hands of the players and the gold isn't coming from thin air you can even make it so they party doesn't get any gold until the black market sales the item.
    Pro)everyone feels like they are earning something no matter who wins. The winner gets the item for far far cheaper then market.
    Con) still might make people feel like they need to buy gold but at 50% market it stops the biggest problem of upbidding 10x the price for rare items to hoard them all. it feels weird to here items teleporting to black market in a game where moving items is a big deal.

There are a lot a flaws with Roll/sale hence my post what do YOU think is the best way to handle high value drops in a pug.

how do you determine the value of the item then? an average of the price of all vendors? what if its the first item that drops? default price? its unfair that if you are farming stuff to not buy them, you have to pay..

i knoww your concern is pugs, but just farm with friends and split? id say the most fair system is random even tho it feels bad when every body in the party knows each other and the one random person gets the good loot, but oh well xD

you can all trade at the end of the run.
  • Options
    I did forget to add that part but as I said far from fleshed out my main concern is the dev item drop post asked about rare drops if there's a good range of items that drop something like that isn't needed but if most drops are low value and only ~1 good drop happens in an hour then most people walk away with almost nothing now that might be a little extreme but I personally have farmed for a pet for 17 hours and it didn't drop much else this game is supposed to be more group oriented so I can see a similar situation but now I'm fighting with the whole group for that drop.

That said I'm also most inclined to use the roll system and was hoping to give an example to come up with a better way.

As far as value I would say runescape style AH prices or have the black market be biddable.
  • Options
    well i get the feeling, it sucks when someone else's gets it..but in any system, anyone else might get it...even if u bid, someone might outbid you.

the solution is to play in a cp/static IMO xd

anyways was that pet cosmetic?
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    When forming a party the leader should have four options:
    Random
    By turn
    Finders keepers
    Need based (dice)

"GeorgeBlack has invited you to join a group (Finders Keepers)
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member

The wiki also shows:

Lootmaster.[39][2]
    A master looter (or lootmaster) is a player designated by the party leader to decide how loot is distributed in a dungeon or raid party.[2]

This seems better for guilds which can have their own agreements and internal way to handle loot.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

lol yup dragon whelp in wow way way back in vanilla

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited April 28
    I don't expect pugs to be able to farm a single damn valuable thing, so I don't care what loot options they value. My general preference for those options is the same as George's.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

lol yup dragon whelp in wow way way back in vanilla

meh ive farmed cards in ro for hundreds of hours, and those r not cosmetics xD
  • Options

In case you hadn't read it already: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Looting
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/