Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Asmon day 1 in Verra after his first Death

VyrilVyril Member
edited April 28 in General Discussion
We all know what's going to happen when Asmongold dies in Ashes.

The immediate response will be. "Steven will need to remove death penalties, and not drop any loot on death".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSVrrdUEkw4

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Yep, knew this since day one of him reacting to the game :)
  • Options
    People will search and travel to the Place ingame where Asmo died for the first Time - and then make Screenshots on the exact same Spot in which a legendary, bald Planeswalker fell who travelled from World to World and made People laugh left and right.

It will be great.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    Do we have bets on how Asmon dies first?

PvP or PvE?
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Vyril wrote: »

PvP or PvE?
    10000% pvp. Well, at least on release. I'd imagine A2 will have pvp disabled for quite a while, so he'll die to mobs there. But if he does play on release - he gets killed before he exists the first location (unless they disable pvp there as well).
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 28

PvP or PvE?

Fall Damage. :D so PvE, right ? ;) x'D

Or maybe he will drown. Alhtough n~aaah, he is clearly smarter than Narc, i think.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    NiKr wrote: »

PvP or PvE?
    10000% pvp. Well, at least on release. I'd imagine A2 will have pvp disabled for quite a while, so he'll die to mobs there. But if he does play on release - he gets killed before he exists the first location (unless they disable pvp there as well).

I hope PvP isn't off for the launch of A2, I want to see the chaos. lol
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 28
    100% Asmon is almost the opposite of the target audience, and as soon as A2 opens and he finds out about Death Penalties, PK, Caravans, Mules, Open World competition, Node sieges, Naval content etc his negative opinions will influence the masses trash on the design, a lot more than his current "game has no art style" takes, I hope @StevenSharif is ready of this,

and PvP should absolutely be enabled for A2, maybe just dont have PvP from level 1, have people finish a tutorial quest first ending with a big pop up about corruption and PvP and enable it at level 3 or smt
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Liniker wrote: »
    100% Asmon is almost the opposite of the target audience, and as soon as A2 opens and he finds out about Death Penalties, PK, Caravans, Mules, Open World competition, Node sieges, Naval content etc his negative opinions will influence the masses trash on the design, a lot more than his current "game has no art style" takes, I hope StevenSharif is ready of this
    Asmon has been somewhat good at saying "this game is just not for me, but I'm glad it's trying to do smth others don't" lately, so I hope he manages to say the same. But I'm sure that his audience will still trash on Ashes for its design, even if he does say that.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Asmon has been somewhat good at saying "this game is just not for me, but I'm glad it's trying to do smth others don't" lately, so I hope he manages to say the same. But I'm sure that his audience will still trash on Ashes for its design, even if he does say that.

hmm I've never seen him say that tbh, and I watch almost every react he puts out, its usually him comparing combat to BDO or Elden Ring and saying intrepid should go for a more stylized art style like WoW
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    100% Asmon is almost the opposite of the target audience, and as soon as A2 opens and he finds out about Death Penalties, PK, Caravans, Mules, Open World competition, Node sieges, Naval content etc his negative opinions will influence the masses trash on the design, a lot more than his current "game has no art style" takes, I hope @StevenSharif is ready of this,

and PvP should absolutely be enabled for A2, maybe just dont have PvP from level 1, have people finish a tutorial quest first ending with a big pop up about corruption and PvP and enable it at level 3 or smt

Is he not a fan of PvP as a player or is it just the realities of streaming that make it an issue?
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited April 28
    blat wrote: »
    Is he not a fan of PvP as a player or is it just the realities of streaming that make it an issue ?

I think it is more the fact that Asmo himself said, that he is not the "Beast" of a very quick, sharp and clear thinking PvP-Gamer with Badass Moments anymore.

Aging gets to him as well. His Reflexes got slower. His Focus is not as narrow and sharp as before. He thinks about Tons of useless things in Fights while he should in fact only focussed in defeating his Opponents. He makes Mistakes and misses things he wouldn't have Ten Years ago - and so on - and so on.

He also said it bugs him - a LOT.

So it is not like Asmo has become a Wuss that doesn't " want " to fight anymore. He is just overly frustrated how much his Skill has gone down over the Years.

At least this is how i have understood him once, a few Years ago or so.

But guess what. I am same as ffffff~ ... ... .. freakishly more humble regarding my Skills than him - because i only get older as well. But i will not turn tail and run. Verra gets all of my combined Efforts together with whoever i will have the Honor to have as my Allies.

Giving up ? I give up when i am DEAD. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    hleVhleV Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    Aging gets to him as well. His Reflexes got slower. His Focus is not as narrow and sharp as before.
    He's 34.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    hmm I've never seen him say that tbh, and I watch almost every react he puts out, its usually him comparing combat to BDO or Elden Ring and saying intrepid should go for a more stylized art style like WoW
    I watch his full streams, and I'm 90% sure I've heard him say that line a few times in the past few months. It would be near-impossible to find quotes though, cause there's fucking days-worth of streams to go through :D I'll look out for it in the future.
    blat wrote: »
    Is he not a fan of PvP as a player or is it just the realities of streaming that make it an issue?
    He hates any backwards progression and highly dislikes forced pvp because he himself was a total asshole with it back in WoW, so he realizes how bad it can be. And Ashes has both of those linked to each other.
  • Options

The immediate response will be. "Steven will need to remove death penalties, and not drop any loot on death".

but you are wasting time playing any video game...maybe except if you are making money out of them. even if he lost progress, he would still be making money from his viewers...what he said made no sense.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    He hates any backwards progression and highly dislikes forced pvp because he himself was a total asshole with it back in WoW, so he realizes how bad it can be. And Ashes has both of those linked to each other.
    Ashes does not have reversed progression -aka- deleveling.
    Ashes also has very partial loot, rather than full loot.
    So, I don't think Asmon will have as much of an issue with Ashes PvP as he does with Tarkov, but... we'll see.

Also, by stylized art, Asmon really means more unique than generic UE5.
    So that when you look around you in the world of Verra, you instantly know that you're playing Ashes of Creation, rather than some other UE5 game.
    He mentioned a few months ago that he really liked the feel of the Village the Caravan visited.
  • Options
    I agree with Dygz, the loot you might lose when getting PK’d is fairly inconsequential compared to other games with full loot drop on death. When you lose your gear, that’s when it becomes tiresome. Right now, the wiki says the most recent estimate is 20-30% of materials and glint, but that could go down further if testing suggests it would be good for the game.

Considering Asmon almost always has a horde of chatters with nothing better to do following him around in any MMO he plays, and considering that will actually work to his advantage in this game, I don’t see it being a problem for him very often.

I also agree with Dygz’ interpretation of his take on the graphics in the game. He’s not saying he wants it to look like BDO or any other game, he’s just saying he wants it to look different than the masses of “straight from UE5” ‘pulp-fiction’ games being churned out on a regular basis. I think the team has started to showcase their own unique visual flair a little more recently, and hopefully that continues. The game is beautiful, but baseline realistic graphics can become dated pretty quickly if it doesn’t lean into at least a slightly stylized finish.
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Ashes does not have reversed progression -aka- deleveling.
    Ashes also has very partial loot, rather than full loot.
    So, I don't think Asmon will have as much of an issue with Ashes PvP as he does with Tarkov, but... we'll see.

Also, by stylized art, Asmon really means more unique than generic UE5.
    So that when you look around you in the world of Verra, you instantly know that you're playing Ashes of Creation, rather than some other UE5 game.
    He mentioned a few months ago that he really liked the feel of the Village the Caravan visited.

There is still backwards progression, xp debt and stat dampening. As well as loss of materials.

Tarkov has no deleveling, or stat dampening, but full loss of gear.

Even though they're not 1 to 1. It's still a loss in progression, since you need to do more PvE to break even before progressing past the pre-death threshold.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Depraved wrote: »

but you are wasting time playing any video game...maybe except if you are making money out of them. even if he lost progress, he would still be making money from his viewers...what he said made no sense.

Sorry dude, your post made no sense here.

You aren't wasting time playing a game, you are using that time for entertainment. Entertainment is not wasted time.

If you do not find having to redo progression to be entertaining, then time spent redoing progression is not time spent being entertained - thus it then becomes time wasted.
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Kinda funny isn't it, in a broken logic sort've way.. that Asmon's reaction has such sway considering his actual experience is a complete anomaly in the gaming world and really has little to no reflection on the gaming experience the rest of us will have.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »

You aren't wasting time playing a game, you are using that time for entertainment. Entertainment is not wasted time.

If you do not find having to redo progression to be entertaining, then time spent redoing progression is not time spent being entertained - thus it then becomes time wasted.

entertainment is necessary. if you see it from that angle, then you are right, you arent wasting time (maybe if you played 15 hours every day?). but from a productive point of view, its a waste of time.

games can be beneficial for brain development because of the problem solving aspects of them, but only up to a certain point. you could just play basketball instead, or soccer and you would still be entertained and get better benefits.

if the claim is that they arent a waste of time because they are entertaining, then losing progress shouldn't matter. I'm sure you are as old as me or even older. don't tell me you weren't entertained back in the day when you played nes and snes, even if you died before saving (or didn't write down your last password) and lost progress?

if the game is entertaining enough, you can still be entertaining if you lose progress. at the end of the day, you will be making much more progress than you would be losing. that risk is also part of the fun btw, but maybe not for everyone.

asmongold is also making money even if he loses progression, so he might not be wasting his time anyways...
  • Options
    hleV wrote: »
    He's 34.

Hence my Point. Asmo told once how much his "Reflexes and Skill" has gone down compared to more than a handful of Years ago. For some People it happens sooner, for some later. Genetics is unfair as well.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    hleV wrote: »
    He's 34.

Hence my Point. Asmo told once how much his "Reflexes and Skill" has gone down compared to more than a handful of Years ago. For some People it happens sooner, for some later. Genetics is unfair as well.

He seems like a decent chap and he's done alright for himself but yeah, doesn't seem the biggest winner in the genetic lottery.
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited April 29
    Yeah, I remember that stream too in which Asmon sighed and lowkey confessed how it bothers him that he cannot focus as good anymore as he could when he was 10 years younger.
    " Things in combat go pass me which I would have easily focussed on while doing other things.
    I choke battles, die stupidly, get called a bad gamer and it bothers me a lot. But what can you do? "

And I have the exact same problem. More or less. Anyone can beat Malenia, Blade of Miquella.
    Question is only how much time someone wants to invest until they become 'Let Me Solo Her'. :smirk:

But about the topic :lol:

I said this in another topic already and I will say it in this one too, different server types could not necessarily "solve the problem" but at least provide some insight data in what the modern MMO audience/s truly prefers.

Lord Stevens vision asside. Developer ambitions asside and especially that - I too was once one of 3 leaders of a roleplay rpg forum many years ago - and I know what it means to rule with an ironfist and not buckle when it comes to cling to an unmoving set of ideals and rules.
    It worked for a while but in the long run it destroyed and snuffed out the will of the playerbase to stay.

In D&D terms: I wasn't a bad DM. But I was also not a very good one either.
    Nowadays I regret that I had not compromised more and thought I could just make people love my vision and sooner or later adapt to the vision I had for the rpg forum.
    It wasn't a tyranny with me on the throne.
    But yeah in hindsight... I feel like I failed the biggest part of the community.
    For my own elitist few players and mindset. We also were on a powertrip and had a superiority complex.
    009.jpg?locale=de

I think a good service provider is someone who does not necessarily gives the customers what they need.
    But meets them halfway at least. Not to forsake the innitial vision but to compromise of course.
    Otherwise the resulting success becomes a gamble.
    The MMO genre is an "old gamer" genre.
    And older people are quick to forsake their games for all kinds of reasons.

I don't think this vision should change that only a laughable amount of players can have permanent flightmounts for example. But I wouldn't be surprised to know that in it's entirety, about +21% more players would have played Ashes of Creation in total, if flightmounts would have been available to all of them.
    Maybe not always too.
    But maybe... just maybe... ever so often for a short amount of time.
    It is not about envy towards other people. But also simply the vision of freedom and the view.
    Damn I really hope there will be gliders in the game that you can launch upwards and then you can glide for about +5 minutes straight or something if you know what you're doing.
    This will keep people playing.

cat-wearing-sunglasses-beach_900958-3269.jpg

To reach for the skys... if only for a little bit. Exploration and an amazing view.
    Just like when I walljumped up on +70° degree high walls in WoW Classic in the 2004... and saw objects from up close which others only saw briefly from automatic flightpaths.
    Ahhh the good old times.
    Before flyingmounts actually made it easier for everyone to reach these places.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Meh, he'll do what he does. The death penalty has been one of the constant 'knowns' of Ashes for what will be almost a decade by production launch. Literally the only perspective I'd find valuable in this thread would be Asmon himself.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Meh, he'll do what he does. The death penalty has been one of the constant 'knowns' of Ashes for what will be almost a decade by production launch. Literally the only perspective I'd find valuable in this thread would be Asmon himself.

I personally just hope the "Death Penalties" will not be to severe. I can see why some People are so afraid of PvP and why Corruption exists so that Gankers are countered by something. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    SlaiethSlaieth Member
    You lose gear and xp when you die in this game?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Slaieth wrote: »

Just XP.

You have to kill someone else who doesn't fight back, first, to lose any gear.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »

entertainment is necessary. if you see it from that angle, then you are right, you arent wasting time (maybe if you played 15 hours every day?). but from a productive point of view, its a waste of time.

games can be beneficial for brain development because of the problem solving aspects of them, but only up to a certain point. you could just play basketball instead, or soccer and you would still be entertained and get better benefits.
    Up to this point, I mostly agree.

I will say that having spent a decade playing competitive team sport (basketball and rugby), the benefits of such sports are indeed potentially better, but the possible life long issues are also potentially far more serious. Amature sport can be dangerous, and if there is a safer way to get the best aspect of it, then I am all for it.

That is what MMORPG's offer, imo.
    if the claim is that they arent a waste of time because they are entertaining, then losing progress shouldn't matter. I'm sure you are as old as me or even older. don't tell me you weren't entertained back in the day when you played nes and snes, even if you died before saving (or didn't write down your last password) and lost progress?

if the game is entertaining enough, you can still be entertaining if you lose progress. at the end of the day, you will be making much more progress than you would be losing. that risk is also part of the fun btw, but maybe not for everyone.
    You got it right here with the last 5 words.

Maybe not for everyone.

Asmon knows that isn't him. We know that isn't him. He shouldn't play this game, and nor should anyone else that thinks the way he does. This game isn't for them.

The real question then becomes; how big a proportion of the population does that exclude?
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Slaieth wrote: »

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Death_penalties
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png