Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

March Development Update Comment

WhiteGriffonWhiteGriffon Member
edited April 30 in General Discussion
The whole penalty of losing items when you die is a very large negative and I believe will cause some player to not want to take risks. Losing durability is one thing but when you start to lose items it will cause an adverse effect of pushing players away as losing experience or items will build anxiety in some due to this fear of loss. This does not welcome in players.

Please rethink this concept and make exploring and taking risks less anxiety filled.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Is this about Corruption?
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited April 30
    The whole penalty of losing items when you die is a very large negative and I believe will cause some player to not want to take risks. Losing durability is one thing but when you start to lose items it will cause an adverse effect of pushing players away as losing experience or items will build anxiety in some due to this fear of loss. This does not welcome in players.

Please rethink this concept and make exploring and taking risks less anxiety filled.

Anxiety and fear of loss are good things. It develops emotional attachment to the game.

CCP tested this with new players in EVE. New players who lost a ship early on had higher retention rates than players who didn't.

So its actually the opposite of what you are proposing. The emotional connection to the game that real risk brings, and the adrenaline of getting attacked and losing items creates an attachment to the game that casual games can't match.

Don't carry things you can't afford to lose.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean... millions of MMO fans just refuse to play EvE.
    Looks like EvE is #17 MMO in popularity right now with 10M players.

Anxiety and fear of loss are enjoyable gameplay for competitive PvP gamers. Sure.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited April 30
    Dygz wrote: »

Anxiety and fear of loss are enjoyable gameplay for competitive PvP gamers. Sure.

Well it's going to be in Ashes so you should be ready for it.

Also there is a lot more that goes into Eve's player counts than pvp.

From a standpoint of retention, risk reward creates more retention than not.

Edit: It also has about 100k players per month right now, 20 years after its initial launch. Thats not 17 on the current list so you are cherry picking your stats there.
  • Options
    The whole penalty of losing items when you die is a very large negative and I believe will cause some player to not want to take risks.

Worry not, WhiteGriffon.

It can happen only to cold-blooded Murderers who butcher the Weak and the Innocent. (lol)

I am confident from now until Release and even after -> Sir Steven and his mighty Crew will adapt the Settings in how strong/weak Death Penalties will be in all Situations involved in which Players can die.

The Risk-Part of the Game however - is apparently here to stay. It did for +Six Years or so and i don't think it will be abolished.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Dygz wrote: »

millions of mmorpg fans refuse to play eso, gw2, wow dragonflight and sod, final fantasy, etc. same logic applied to those games ;3

id say that a lot of mmorpg players like pvp, loss, etc. evidence is l2 having the 2nd biggest private server community of all mmorpg. probs more ppl play l2 in p. servers than people play some of the top pve mmorpg in official servers xD