Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The desert biome is real... right??

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Apok wrote: »
    Intepid just wants feedback, they started a desert biome and probably want to know what people think of the design before they get too far along with it, too rocky, too hilly, etc.

anyways I don't see why people watch narcs videos it's mostly all clickbait, hes got the personality of a washcloth and talking about ashes is the only way for him to get any attention cause no one covers the game due to the game covering itself already

He still has a following as all steamers which is good giving attention to the game. But his content is so desperate on AoC than making his own identity, he is going off the deep end at some points.

His own lack of knowledge on development (like most people) makes him have bad takes than a normie watches it (in this case) and believes they are faking it. Which can be akin to what people thought of with cyberpunk 2077. Though it makes 0 sense to be saying faking it as its in development and you see Steven playing it live.

Granted i guess you could try to make a argument everything is faked and pre recorded but at some point you need to touch grass and take a break from following alpha development. When you are just running with negative energy in fear of trying to counter your own hype or reliance on the ip.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 4
    @Toothpaste its a nice conspiracy theory, too bad its just that, a conspiracy theory

I remember people saying the same shit about some of the Riverlands streams like this one

r7vn5avpalxa.png
    point out that there was nothing beyond that zone so it could only be a scam lol

or in this one where the minimap was cut and not working, also in the riverlands lol

e4ah5354vymj.png

Lionhold is just the name of a node close to the spawn zone, Steven clearly teleported to that desert zone and there's not a working map so it saves the last location

maybe they just don't have loaded the whole world for the showcase, its normal, they have done this before like here we can clearly see in the same zone for 2 streams the Tower of Carphin was missing... because the map wasn't loaded for that particular showcase build

oceeh4yod37o.png
    5uuqwg022t0l.png

there's many other examples, tbh people just have no grasp on what is a game in development... open development is funny, its like a bunch of kids looking at a doctor performing surgery, and giving opinions on what they think is right or wrong lol

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    RazThemunRazThemun Member
    Considering it is an unfinished game... I doubt it was a last minute anything. Now did they go to a location that is less put together than the riverlands? yes. Does it mean they threw it together the day before? No.... Truth be told it could be another 3 or 4 years before launch anyways. Plenty of time to finish up zones, quests,etc that they haven't really started on yet or spent much time.
  • Options
    I don't see the relevance as to whether or not the area in the showcase will be the actual area, or not. From what we know so far, they're finishing one continent, and haven't even started on the other; If it doesn't look exactly like it did in the showcase, what's the difference, given that there WILL BE a Sandsquall Desert?

• Options
    ToothpasteToothpaste Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Toothpaste wrote: »
    We are being mislead to believe that the area in the showcase is a playable in-game desert biome.

Mislead? FFS go outside - it's an alpha-state demo not a congressional inquiry.

So, I took the advice of CROW3 this weekend, and decided to go outside by visiting one of the United Sates' fine National Parks. No bugs, cool breeze in my hair, and all the peace and quiet in the world to think....to think about why Intrepid would decide to give us a tiny unpolished glimpse of the Desert Biome.

@Liniker @Nerror I would like to point out that I never said the word 'scam, or in no way alluding to that this game is a scam. I believe 100% in Steven and Intrepid, I understand that the development process for an MMO takes a long time, and that this is a true Alpha and things are subject to change.
    Dygz wrote: »
    And this showcase was primarily about the skybox, the lighting, and the Wand Weapon Skills.
    Background of Desert was nice, but in the dark.

So, I think you bring up a good point. This was a showcase for the skybox, lighting, and wand. Why would they need or want to show the desert, especially in the dark? It's obvious that they are trying to hide something. They are trying to hide the lack of detail with dark shadows. They are trying to hide the surrounding area by using weird camera angles and deleting the mini map. This was the first time we saw the Desert. Of course we are going to be looking at all the details of the area, notice all of the imperfections, and compare it to the Riverlands/ other showcases. They could have done this showcase in the Riverlands and there would have been no doubt.
    Liniker wrote: »

Lionhold is just the name of a node close to the spawn zone, Steven clearly teleported to that desert zone and there's not a working map so it saves the last location

maybe they just don't have loaded the whole world for the showcase, its normal, they have done this before like here we can clearly see in the same zone for 2 streams the Tower of Carphin was missing... because the map wasn't loaded for that particular showcase build

However, Liniker does have good explanations for why the area was called Lionhold and the lack of a mini map.

And @Mag7spy also shared a good explanation as to why flat featureless areas show.
    I don't see the relevance as to whether or not the area in the showcase will be the actual area, or not. From what we know so far, they're finishing one continent, and haven't even started on the other; If it doesn't look exactly like it did in the showcase, what's the difference, given that there WILL BE a Sandsquall Desert?

The reason why this is relevant is because this is a misleading marketing practice. Intrepid is basically saying, "look, we told you we have a desert biome, here it is, we arnt going to be in A2 for 3+ years." When in actuality the desert is still in concept. Its misleading just like selling crossbow cosmetics when crossbows aren't even usable weapons. (We still dont know what weapons will be usable in A2) You are showing (advertising) us something that looks cool, but doesn't actually exist in the real game, and that is misleading.
    The Steven giveth and the Steven taketh away
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    So, I took the advice of CROW3 this weekend, and decided to go outside by visiting one of the United Sates' fine National Parks. No bugs, cool breeze in my hair, and all the peace and quiet in the world to think....

Nice. 🤗. Which park?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The mini-map can be turned off and on at will by the player, right? So, absence of the mini-map means that it was turned off at the moment, which makes sense because no travelling was intended.
  • Options
    ToothpasteToothpaste Member
    CROW3 wrote: »
    So, I took the advice of CROW3 this weekend, and decided to go outside by visiting one of the United Sates' fine National Parks. No bugs, cool breeze in my hair, and all the peace and quiet in the world to think....

Nice. 🤗. Which park?

I camped in Big Bend National Park. It was beautiful. Thank you for asking.
    The Steven giveth and the Steven taketh away
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    The desert biome is real... right??

The Voices from beyond the Stars are whispering that the Desert Biome is a Lie and just part of a digital World that quite literally doesn't exist. But these Voices are partially filled with the Craziness of certain Copium-Addicts who thirst for the World of Verra nonetheless.

Maybe it will be there in the Alpha Two. Maybe it will be added only after Alpha Two. Maybe the Gods allow it only to be seen when their Lord and Master Sir Steven allows it.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    The reason why this is relevant is because this is a misleading marketing practice. Intrepid is basically saying, "look, we told you we have a desert biome, here it is, we arnt going to be in A2 for 3+ years." When in actuality the desert is still in concept. Its misleading just like selling crossbow cosmetics when crossbows aren't even usable weapons. (We still dont know what weapons will be usable in A2) You are showing (advertising) us something that looks cool, but doesn't actually exist in the real game, and that is misleading.

What if they add/remove trees? Are you still going to bitch about it not being the *actual* area, and deceptive because it doesn't look *EXACTLY* the same as it did, in Alpha-development?

My, what a terrible company Intrepid MUST be, for the final product looking different than it did, before development was finished....

Heaven forbid a preview not be the precise, completed product. As SS had mentioned, they'd had many requests for peeks at different biomes. It's possible they just wanted to show what their desert-biome can look like.

• Options
    edited May 10
    The biome is real. But I personally do not think the area shown in recent showcase was "real". And I think that's fine.

When I pitch for clients, very rarely do I show a finished product. I present mockups, an idea of what the final could end up looking like. Same in this scenario, we are the client being pitched by Intrepid.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif