Favorite Gaming Headset?

Time for a new one. Any recommendations? Looking for wireless + bluetooth.

A couple friends recommended the Arctis Nova 7, but the elongated usb c dongle would block another port, so probably won't do that.

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• DepravedDepraved Member
    i had a sades, costed about 30 USD and lasted for a good 5 years+ (never had a headset lasting that long) I bought the exact same one in a different color and only lasted 3 months. i guess its russian roulette but the sound and mic were great xD
  • FlankerFlanker Member
    Not a fan of wireless headsets. If that's not a deal-breaker, I can recommend HyperX Cloud Revolver or HyperX Cloud Alpha
    n8ohfjz3mtqg.png
  • playerEraplayerEra Member
    I actually started using my Air Pod Max headphones and they're pretty darn good for quality and spatial sound
  • ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 6
    HyperX Cloud II - this is what I'm using now, the audio on it's great I like a headset that's both comfortable and has decent bass and volume

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAYCVTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

edit: posted the wrong headset, also looks like wireless is unavailable right now. Might be a better model or need more stock

wired is currently 40% off
  • LaetitianLaetitian Member
    edited May 4
    I'd advise you to completely ignore the headset market and instead look into affordable quality headphones ($80-120. If you're into nice-sounding detailed music, I can strongly recommend my 90€ MDR-7506 - absolute eyeopener about the quality you can get for entry level quality prices. The only downside is that they're a bit flimsy, but mine still lasted many years in spite of me sleeping with them on and throwing them around in a rage. If you treat yours better, they'll easily last a decade or two. If you want something sturdier, people recommend HD280 or DT 770 for closed-back.)
    and table-mounted microphones. (~$30; just pick whatever has great reviews in the low price range,; they're still pretty good, and it's not like Discord will preserve the quality of an expensive mic anyway)

I know it's generally discouraged to give advice contrary to advice that is specifically requested, but as someone who's fudged around way too long with 40-60€ headsets and finally saw the light, I feel obligated to share the lessons I've learned.

If it absolutely must be headsets, I still recommend purchasing from Sony, beyerdynamic, or Sennheiser. Gaming brands *will* always cheap out on the sound.

And if you demand wireless quality from those brands, expect to pay double and more...Cable is still the way if you want affordable quality, and personally I am happy about every device of which I never need to worry about the battery life.
    The only one who can validate you for all the posts you didn't write is you.
  • IskiabIskiab Member
    I’m very picky and the Corsair gaming headsets are the best. Don’t even consider the wireless ones that are compatible with phones, the quality is terrible.
  • RazThemunRazThemun Member
    sennheiser headsets!
  • VirizViriz Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ++ for hyperx headsets recommended above. The wireless models have insane battery life and with the quality of both sound and construction paired with how cheap they are its hard to beat.
    37wk9is5dfcj.gif
  • I have an Arctis 9X which has been absolutely fantastic. I use it with the Xbox wireless adapter and there's effectively zero audio latency. Much less than using bluetooth or any other wireless adapter for a headset I've ever used.
  • TryolTryol Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 6
    Arctis Nova Pro Wireless if money's not a big concern.
    There is no other answer (unless you want wired, eww).
    • It can connect to 2 devices (2 pcs or pc + console) using the dock.
    • You can use it simultaneously with these 2 devices + a Bluetooth device.
    • It technically has infinite battery: you get 2 battery packs with it and you can hot-swap them whenever. While you have 1 in the headset the other is charging inside the dock.
    • It has active noise cancelling for travelling.
    • It looks like a normal headset, not a "gamer one" and the mic is fully retractable, so you can wear it for work or just outside.
  • Iskiab wrote: »
    I’m very picky and the Corsair gaming headsets are the best. Don’t even consider the wireless ones that are compatible with phones, the quality is terrible.

Cheap ones maybe. Steelseries makes some damn good headsets that have both bluetooth and direct wifi that can be used simultaneously.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    I have a pair of Cowin E7s. Great quality and connectivity. I’ve had them for 4 years and the only issue I’ve noticed is the power switch wearing down, so they sometimes don’t disconnect and shutdown right away.

Not a single complaint otherwise. Good luck!
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • TacquitoTacquito Member
    Thank you all for the replies, really appreciated.

@Tryol not gonna lie, the Nova Pro looks like the ultimate. If I were going to use it in a stationary set-up with both a console and PC, it would be the obvious choice. I'm just not sure I want to deal with the dock, don't need multi-device connection, and will be using it with my gaming laptop most of the time. Damn it looks awesome though. Considering it.

@Iskiab you are the second person to say Corsair are awesome. Reasonably priced too. Which one do you have? I was looking at the Hs65, because the HS80 doesn't have bluetooth (though I might just blow off bluetooth for the HS80).

And still considering the Arctis 7 even though it's super annoying that I would need an extension adapter to keep the usb-c from blocking my other ports. It seems perfect for me other than the elongated usb-c.
  • ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 8
    A lot of recommendations for steel series, used them before switching to hyperx. Still would recomend hyperx over steel series but both are great brands
  • IskiabIskiab Member
    For the Corsair I can’t remember which one I bought. I think it was just under $200.
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited May 8
    Astro A40 and A50. Great audio quality and replacement accessories are easy to get.

Edit: Woops, changed it, I said Logitech, I meant Astro
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 7
    Laetitian wrote: »
    If it absolutely must be headsets, I still recommend purchasing from Sony, beyerdynamic, or Sennheiser. Gaming brands *will* always cheap out on the sound.

I can certainly recommend beyerdynamic. I did the wireless gaming headsets for a while, but invariably they broke because they cheap out on construction with plastic parts. They weren't cheap ones either.

Got my wired Beyerdynamic MMX 300 1st gen several years ago and it still going strong. Same great sound after many years. Solid metal frame. 2nd gen is out now and they seem to have shifted towards calling it a gaming headset, but if it's as good as 1st gen, it's a great one regardless.

They do also make wireless ones I believe.

Edit: the MMX 200. Check reviews
    Crap, now I want that MMX 200.. seems like it has good reviews...
    edited May 8
    Now you made me go down the wireless headset rabbit hole and I blame you @Tacquito :D

Apparently not many, if any, headsets with gaming features like game/chat mix beat the Audeze Maxwell, but it sure is pricey..

Edit: I take that back about the Maxwell. We're back to build quality issues. They break easily.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Like a few others above, I totally ignore the "gaming" peripherial market.

I've been using Sennheiser headsets ever since University (I did music production as a minor subject). In terms of quality/price, they are very much in a league of their own, imo.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 8
    I have everything from Audiotechnca headsets to Bose and the gaming headset I love most is my Wireless Xbox head set. Don't get them for music. Movies and Vidoe Games. They punch way outside of their weight class. The mic has noise canceling on it. My wife could do her hair next to me and people still hear me. The extra option for lowering game sounds and turn up people talking with one knob. Is a game changer if you like to hear game sounds while trying to talk to peeps. The base is over done and that's best IMO with gaming and movies. They do rumble and make me feel like I feel explosions. If you get them, getting the Doly Atmos app opens up a whole new world. Best bang for your buck.