Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I'm excited about artificial intelligence in the game development landscape, anyone else?

Look how immersive chat gpt ai can make skyrim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0svu8WBzeQM&ab_channel=ESO
I've heard ai tools for games will be able to write their own adventures/quests someday...and do their own art work...probably make entire games alone, possibly providing constant ongoing endless content. woot!

Has anyone heard if Steven or anyone on the team is planning on using some of these powerful and innovative ai technologies, or tools that use similar ai technology? I'm excited about AoC and this ai stuff too!

Comments

• Options
    OtrOtr Member
    The new AI consumes more energy than the simple optimized AI algorithms we had until now.
    Imagine the monthly subscription cost to have such AI rented to run on game servers.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Look how immersive chat gpt ai can make skyrim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0svu8WBzeQM&ab_channel=ESO
    I've heard ai tools for games will be able to write their own adventures/quests someday...and do their own art work...probably make entire games alone, possibly providing constant ongoing endless content. woot!

Has anyone heard if Steven or anyone on the team is planning on using some of these powerful and innovative ai technologies, or tools that use similar ai technology? I'm excited about AoC and this ai stuff too!

check all the other ai threads ;3

ai can make art, but is it giving you the results that you want? that's the issue
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Once its developed, yeah it'll be amazing
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    They will be exploring AI in A2. So nothing nailed down and what they plan to do with it or even if it will get used.
  • Options
    LaetitianLaetitian Member
    edited May 9
    The only thing I really care to see it do is optimise AI to create interesting challenging NPC fight behaviours. And perhaps level-design. Both of them definitely supervised by humans.

Relationships with characters that are fed AI-generated dialogue are about as interesting to me as downloading a virtual girlfriend. I think the appeal of playing Dragon Age and squeezing the last bit of potential out of every dialogue tree is that I know a team of human writers decided what I can or cannot do. That's the art piece i am appreciating and exploring. If they just let lose an AI program to determine how much I can do, it'll feel like exploring entropy. Random decisions of what may or may not happen. No intention behind it, at least none made by someone whose opinion I could care about.

It's not impossible that someday AI will let us do so much that I'll accept a game written by AI as essentially emulation of real life. Or perhaps it'll even make artistic decisions that are so thoroughly coherent that I'll find them interesting. But for now, it's just too much random emulation of data-based assumptions of reality shaping an illusion of intelligent decisions.

I sometimes have those intervals in my gaming life where i go a little bit more intense on my solo RPG gameplay than usual for a while. Whether it's with mods or just roleplaying a deeper meaning and realistic behaviour/relationship development into my protagonist's actions. Until I hit a roadblock where I realise the world/story I've been building is just me interacting with bits and pixels and telling myself a story around it. Sometimes it's triggered by limitations of the game, sometimes just by realising I've been putting more effort into it than it's worth. 50% of the time when that happens, that's the end of that playthrough and I go find a different game. And if that happens to me more more often in that same year, I even go on long sprees where I don't play any games at all besides social games or PVP games, because singleplayer gaming feels *that* empty after those moments.
    AI-generated dialogue might work for a few hours where you can't tell the difference, but it would exponentially explode the amount of times those nihilistic reality check moments kick in.
    No one but yourself can validate you for all the posts you *didn't* write.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    What type of game would AI create for AI to be entertained?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    My hope AI is used for work that's best automated. The sculpted side be done by people. Main story voice acted but all side quests have the option to have AI read the text. I get Ashes won't have voice actors, I'm talking in a general sense. AI is just a new reality, I just hope people don't get lots in the shuffle.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member

See, when I watch that video, all I see is the AI not doing what you want it to do. Talking back like it's trying to be in control, when it's the player that should dictate the action. And when it finally does agree to do something, it then doesn't when the time comes.

I'm perfectly happy without AI ruining my fun.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited May 9
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    They will be exploring AI in A2. So nothing nailed down and what they plan to do with it or even if it will get used.

Not the same type of AI that the OP is talking about.

gs9gssi7kw3k.png
  • Options
    PercimesPercimes Member
    Not really excited, no matter how sophisticated it'll get, it will remain a tool, and all tools require an artisan with the skills to wield them.

Oh it will certainly have an impact, it will allow great new things to be built. It will quicken many processes. Produce complex stuff in the blink of an eye. Allow few people to achieve what now requires a great many.

But AI doesn't want to create anything. It has nothing to express, nothing to communicate, no story to tell. It doesn't want to please or seduce an audience over a performance, an idea, or a concept. It executes. It serves. It regurgitates what it has learned.

Without a guiding hand, I don't think it will make much beyond the generic. It might still impress by the scope of its complexity, but will it have a personality? Will it stir emotions? Will it conquer the heart of mankind and become a cult classic?

Press X for doubt.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    ShinsaShinsa Member
    Laetitian wrote: »
    The only thing I really care to see it do is optimise AI to create interesting challenging NPC fight behaviours. And perhaps level-design. Both of them definitely supervised by humans.

Relationships with characters that are fed AI-generated dialogue are about as interesting to me as downloading a virtual girlfriend. I think the appeal of playing Dragon Age and squeezing the last bit of potential out of every dialogue tree is that I know a team of human writers decided what I can or cannot do. That's the art piece i am appreciating and exploring. If they just let lose an AI program to determine how much I can do, it'll feel like exploring entropy. Random decisions of what may or may not happen. No intention behind it, at least none made by someone whose opinion I could care about.

I can understand some of the hesitation, but there is also a large misconception here. AI-generative text can be used as a way to better personalize the NPC to the player. You can give the AI a rule set or basic concept for the their personality/task in the game while letting it use the Generative part to allow for a more fluid interaction that can allow the npc to react to things your character has actually done.

This can help with situations in games where you come in looking like a damn god in the most glorious of end-game armor and the npc is talking to your like you have a wooden sword and cardboard breastplate. Instead with the AI controlling the wording and interaction it could potentially compliment that the enemy won't be a match against you now since you are better equipped than a predetermined interaction.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Shinsa wrote: »
    I can understand some of the hesitation, but there is also a large misconception here. AI-generative text can be used as a way to better personalize the NPC to the player. You can give the AI a rule set or basic concept for the their personality/task in the game while letting it use the Generative part to allow for a more fluid interaction that can allow the npc to react to things your character has actually done.
    Or you can just script this, as BG3 does.

Or - we could just not worry. Some random peasant probably doesn't know that the armor I am wearing is god-tier. They shouldn't know that. When they see me coming uo, they just see some person wearing some armor.

If I looted some armor from some lich that has been dead for 1000 years, and the local farmer knew what it was, I'd assume that local farmer was at least 1000 years old. My expectation of what they would say if I was wearing old armor is that my armor doesn't look very new...
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Shinsa wrote: »
    Laetitian wrote: »

This can help with situations in games where you come in looking like a damn god in the most glorious of end-game armor and the npc is talking to your like you have a wooden sword and cardboard breastplate. Instead with the AI controlling the wording and interaction it could potentially compliment that the enemy won't be a match against you now since you are better equipped than a predetermined interaction.

you can already do all that without AI and its much faster. devs just choose not to.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    What type of game would AI create for AI to be entertained?
    Harcourt...Fenton....Mudd !!!
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Options
    NovaresNovares Member
    Feels like this could be hit or miss. If it's done right, it could really change how gaming is. Similarly to how Replica Studios is approaching it with "SmartNPC". I tried it and its meh right now, but there is a huge possibility for greatness if it is done right.

I kind of don't want to see AI developed environments though. I like those being done by real people. Feels like they have a soul to them then, instead of being generated and lifeless.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    Novares wrote: »
    Feels like this could be hit or miss. If it's done right, it could really change how gaming is. Similarly to how Replica Studios is approaching it with "SmartNPC". I tried it and its meh right now, but there is a huge possibility for greatness if it is done right.

I kind of don't want to see AI developed environments though. I like those being done by real people. Feels like they have a soul to them then, instead of being generated and lifeless.

people were unable to differentiate art made between an AI and a human. it's out there, look it up xd
    the issue with AI art is that it will not give you exactly what you want. It's still great to modify existing stuff made by humans though. For example, in Photoshop, you can use the AI tool to convert a picture of a forest in spring to winter and add snow to it, or summer, or fall and change the leaves' colors, etc. in a few seconds. that edit would take hours to do by hand. taking a picture of the forest (or drawing the forest) is usually done better by humans.
  • Options
    GrilledCheeseMojitoGrilledCheeseMojito Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think uses of generative AI as currently hyped have any real place in Ashes. If you want to follow on the premise of listening to your community and transparent development, you would not be able to use AI as it takes away your agency to make small, intentional tweaks to better serve your player base.
    Grilled cheese always tastes better when you eat it together!
  • Options
    I don't think uses of generative AI as currently hyped have any real place in Ashes. If you want to follow on the premise of listening to your community and transparent development, you would not be able to use AI as it takes away your agency to make small, intentional tweaks to better serve your player base.

Every game development company is at minimum looking into how AI tools are being developed. It's going to be an industry norm very shortly.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    I see very limited utility in AI... for now. I get the hype, I agree about the potential, but I think that human art and AI generated art are two different things and one will thrive the best when not limited by or forced to adapt to the other.

Hence I'd prefer to see the content of Ashes be created by humans only. But that's just me.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<