Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

teleportation augment

personally i still feel its name should be changed to either spatial or gravity as the theming of abilities feels familiar to especailly, the elden ring convergence teams take on gravity magic where gravity magic is about the manipulation of space in all forms.

Comments

  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gravity sounds too scientific - even for Scientific Nodes.
  • Options
    KurobeiKurobei Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Gravity sounds too scientific - even for Scientific Nodes.

    thats why i said spatial since many fantasy content type stuff uses that with teleportation sounds just as bad as calling a giant bridge in a raviene that is some massive historical landmark 'a bridge'.
  • Options
    KurobeiKurobei Member
    like i just brought up elden rings gravity magic anyways to show how they could make the 'teleporation' augment work where fireball for example wouldnt just spawn on people but instead would be you manipulating gravity to lift up chunks of earth from the ground before chucking em like the rock sling spell in elden ring or the frost wave would be like the gravity fans that cause an upheavel of the ground in front of you as the way of gravity magic affects the ground.
  • Options
    HeljyHeljy Member
    I loved that earlly quest in TESO where a mage tried to explain the functioning of a portal by magical & academical terms (without success) .
    I like when magic has logic and the game tends to make us understand it, but without too many details to hide the inconsistencies.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 11
    I'm used to reading teleportation in Fantasy novels, so I'm fine with that instead of spacial or gravity.

    Gravity doesn't seem to fit the Ashes lore.
    Could work for other settings like Riot/League of Legends.
  • Options
    KurobeiKurobei Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm used to reading teleportation in Fantasy novels, so I'm fine with that instead of spacial or gravity.

    Gravity doesn't seem to fit the Ashes lore.
    Could work for other settings like Riot/League of Legends.

    thats the thing, teleportation and especially the mage teleport ability are the same concept as gravity magic. hell thats why astel teleports around the battle field as teleportation through the manipulation of gravity is theoretically possible by creating near infinite mass densites in 2 spaces and than using your ability to manipulate gravity to hopefully manipulate the fabric of space so both points meet with one another and connect into a wormhole. and again, spatial is what sounds more fantastical and if ya cant see the badass mystical fantasy in just the concept of gravity manipulating magic than idk my guy XD maybe you should fight starscourge redahn or astel, the firstborne of the void in elden ring and try telling me again that gravity magic even cant work in a fantasy setting...
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Um. "fireball for example wouldnt just spawn on people but instead would be you manipulating gravity to lift up chunks of earth from the ground before chucking em like the rock sling spell in elden ring" does not sound like the same thing as Teleportation, to me.
    Creating near infinite mass densities in 2 spaces through Gravity manipulation is too scientific compared to magic from the Gods - especially for Verra's setting.

    Again, could be OK in a different setting with different lore.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    edited May 11
    Kurobei wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm used to reading teleportation in Fantasy novels, so I'm fine with that instead of spacial or gravity.

    Gravity doesn't seem to fit the Ashes lore.
    Could work for other settings like Riot/League of Legends.

    thats the thing, teleportation and especially the mage teleport ability are the same concept as gravity magic. hell thats why astel teleports around the battle field as teleportation through the manipulation of gravity is theoretically possible by creating near infinite mass densites in 2 spaces and than using your ability to manipulate gravity to hopefully manipulate the fabric of space so both points meet with one another and connect into a wormhole. and again, spatial is what sounds more fantastical and if ya cant see the badass mystical fantasy in just the concept of gravity manipulating magic than idk my guy XD maybe you should fight starscourge redahn or astel, the firstborne of the void in elden ring and try telling me again that gravity magic even cant work in a fantasy setting...

    That's a science fiction mechanic, which tries invent ways to travel to other start like we travel on Earth between cities.
    You should not think how it works in fantasy games. Nature rules are different, and if well defined, can be more consistent than the SF ones.
  • Options
    KurobeiKurobei Member
    Otr wrote: »
    Kurobei wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm used to reading teleportation in Fantasy novels, so I'm fine with that instead of spacial or gravity.

    Gravity doesn't seem to fit the Ashes lore.
    Could work for other settings like Riot/League of Legends.

    thats the thing, teleportation and especially the mage teleport ability are the same concept as gravity magic. hell thats why astel teleports around the battle field as teleportation through the manipulation of gravity is theoretically possible by creating near infinite mass densites in 2 spaces and than using your ability to manipulate gravity to hopefully manipulate the fabric of space so both points meet with one another and connect into a wormhole. and again, spatial is what sounds more fantastical and if ya cant see the badass mystical fantasy in just the concept of gravity manipulating magic than idk my guy XD maybe you should fight starscourge redahn or astel, the firstborne of the void in elden ring and try telling me again that gravity magic even cant work in a fantasy setting...

    That's a science fiction mechanic, which tries invent ways to travel to other start like we travel on Earth between cities.
    You should not think how it works in fantasy games. Nature rules are different, and if well defined, can be more consistent than the SF ones.

    both you and dygs i think are just falling into the complete cop out of thinking that explaining anything AT ALL makes it not fantasy. like you can still ask where the magical force comes from and all the implications around that plenty fine even if you know how physically the spell causes the inteded affect and regardless, thats pretty much what is almost certainly happening with spells like the mages teleport regardless unless specifcially stated otherwise by the one(s) writing the lore. like legit, just learn more about how OUR world works so you can see how magically and extraordinary all this shit is despite being full on 100% real like the double slit experiment that shows that there is far greater than a non 0 chance our reality could be a computer simulation or how cause and effect doesnt necessarily exist on a quantum level with shit like quantum entanglment and radioactive decay as well as shit like super positions where in the famous initially joke shrodinger made about how people thought super positioning worked by proposing putting a cat in a box with a radioactive decay clock connected to a vial of poison that would kill the cat if the clock goes off and breaks the poison vial meaning the chance that the cat is alive or dead when you next is 100% random meaning the cat in fact is actually BOTH alive AND dead at the same time until you open the box and collapse its super position into a single defined answer of either cat IS dead or IS alive before you close the cat and a new vial if the last cat died where it happens again.
  • Options
    I've been thinking of it as 'Arcane'. Not every skill you are going to slot that augment into will make sense witl blinking/teleport, having it as arcane opens up different situations like force shields for defense and arcane non-elemental damage.
  • Options
    KurobeiKurobei Member
    I've been thinking of it as 'Arcane'. Not every skill you are going to slot that augment into will make sense witl blinking/teleport, having it as arcane opens up different situations like force shields for defense and arcane non-elemental damage.

    EXACTLY! and arcane sounds even more fantasy than spatial. honestly anything is better than 'teleportation' which is truly the most placeholder name i have ever seen and too weirdly restricting for a magic augment if ya ask me
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 12
    Kurobei wrote: »
    both you and dygz i think are just falling into the complete cop out of thinking that explaining anything AT ALL makes it not fantasy.
    LMAO
    GTFO
    Explain Teleportation via magic rather than via science. Magic is a subset of anything.

    Also, I did not say that there are no Fantasy settings where it's appropriate to include gravity as a form of magic. I said not in the Ashes setting specifically.
    Gravity explanation probably fits quite well in the League of Legends/Runeterra setting.

    We'll have to see what other Augments are in the Teleportation School.
    I'm pretty sure they will all have something to do with teleporting.
    Arcane does not indicate teleportation at all.
    And Teleportation is more specific than "Spatial".
    Rush could be a "Spatial" Augment but Blink is different than Rush.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Ether, and ethereal study, from the 18th century may fit the bill. It’s the ‘let’s figure out a word to make the ineffable less ineffable even though we don’t understand much’ concept.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ethereal is certainly better and more fitting to Verra than gravity or Spatial.
  • Options
    KurobeiKurobei Member

    Dygz wrote: »
    Kurobei wrote: »
    both you and dygz i think are just falling into the complete cop out of thinking that explaining anything AT ALL makes it not fantasy.
    LMAO
    GTFO
    Explain Teleportation via magic rather than via science. Magic is a subset of anything.

    Also, I did not say that there are no Fantasy settings where it's appropriate to include gravity as a form of magic. I said not in the Ashes setting specifically.
    Gravity explanation probably fits quite well in the League of Legends/Runeterra setting.

    We'll have to see what other Augments are in the Teleportation School.
    I'm pretty sure they will all have something to do with teleporting.
    Arcane does not indicate teleportation at all.
    And Teleportation is more specific than "Spatial".
    Rush could be a "Spatial" Augment but Blink is different than Rush.

    dude for most people with especially those who play D&D, thinking of the word arcane brings to mind all matter of pure magical effects from detecting magic and identifying magical artifacts to magic missile to vortex warp and so damn many more pure magical effects with no elemental additions with on of the baseling things all the powerful D&D wizards have is literally teleport and teleportation circle. beyond that
    Dygz wrote: »
    Ethereal is certainly better and more fitting to Verra than gravity or Spatial.

    ethereal could work but that has more implications around dimension hopping rather than anything magical and while i would agree 100% that ethereal aint bad and is FAR better than 'teleportation', i still stand by shiva's idea of arcane
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'll take 'Spatial' or 'Space-Time', as that's my nature.

    The Western side of the Fantasy Genre seems to be less likely to use this, but I'll hope the 'Eastern' influences shine through a bit here.

    I wouldn't worry though, since I assume anyone willing to have a mage spell 'Black Hole' isn't too likely to balk at using such terms.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.
    
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 12
    Kurobei wrote: »
    dude for most people with especially those who play D&D, thinking of the word arcane brings to mind all matter of pure magical effects from detecting magic and identifying magical artifacts to magic missile to vortex warp and so damn many more pure magical effects with no elemental additions with on of the baseling things all the powerful D&D wizards have is literally teleport and teleportation circle. beyond that
    Dude, Arcane can mean a whole bunch of stuff that is not limited to Teleportation.
    Teleportation is indicative of popping out of existence in the Prime Material Plane and back into existence somewhere else in the Prime Material Plane.
    All 4 Mage Schools are basically Arcane. Teleportation is a specific type of Arcane Magic. Elemental is another specific type of Arcane Magic.
    As opposed to Divine Magic - is not a subset of Arcane Magic.


    Kurobei wrote: »
    ethereal could work but that has more implications around dimension hopping rather than anything magical and while i would agree 100% that ethereal aint bad and is FAR better than 'teleportation', i still stand by shiva's idea of arcane
    Exactly - because Teleportation implies hopping in and out of the Prime Material Plane while Gravity does not.
    And Ether could portain to different dimensional planes as well. Ether is also closer to magic than true science in similar fashion to Alchemy being closer to magic than true science.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    edited May 13
    Kurobei wrote: »
    Otr wrote: »
    Kurobei wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm used to reading teleportation in Fantasy novels, so I'm fine with that instead of spacial or gravity.

    Gravity doesn't seem to fit the Ashes lore.
    Could work for other settings like Riot/League of Legends.

    thats the thing, teleportation and especially the mage teleport ability are the same concept as gravity magic. hell thats why astel teleports around the battle field as teleportation through the manipulation of gravity is theoretically possible by creating near infinite mass densites in 2 spaces and than using your ability to manipulate gravity to hopefully manipulate the fabric of space so both points meet with one another and connect into a wormhole. and again, spatial is what sounds more fantastical and if ya cant see the badass mystical fantasy in just the concept of gravity manipulating magic than idk my guy XD maybe you should fight starscourge redahn or astel, the firstborne of the void in elden ring and try telling me again that gravity magic even cant work in a fantasy setting...

    That's a science fiction mechanic, which tries invent ways to travel to other start like we travel on Earth between cities.
    You should not think how it works in fantasy games. Nature rules are different, and if well defined, can be more consistent than the SF ones.

    both you and dygs i think are just falling into the complete cop out of thinking that explaining anything AT ALL makes it not fantasy. like you can still ask where the magical force comes from and all the implications around that plenty fine even if you know how physically the spell causes the inteded affect and regardless, thats pretty much what is almost certainly happening with spells like the mages teleport regardless unless specifcially stated otherwise by the one(s) writing the lore. like legit, just learn more about how OUR world works so you can see how magically and extraordinary all this shit is despite being full on 100% real like the double slit experiment that shows that there is far greater than a non 0 chance our reality could be a computer simulation or how cause and effect doesnt necessarily exist on a quantum level with shit like quantum entanglment and radioactive decay as well as shit like super positions where in the famous initially joke shrodinger made about how people thought super positioning worked by proposing putting a cat in a box with a radioactive decay clock connected to a vial of poison that would kill the cat if the clock goes off and breaks the poison vial meaning the chance that the cat is alive or dead when you next is 100% random meaning the cat in fact is actually BOTH alive AND dead at the same time until you open the box and collapse its super position into a single defined answer of either cat IS dead or IS alive before you close the cat and a new vial if the last cat died where it happens again.

    Such terminology fits easier into GW2 which even has the Asura race.
    AoC is not made for such concepts and even guns are banned. The gun powder is forbidden! :smile:
    Even
    Crossbows will not be present in the MMO.[4][5]
Sign In or Register to comment.