Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Some questions/concerns about crafting.

Hey,

I just saw a huge recap of the game. It seems to me, that crafting potentionally seems to be a tad to hard train up. Not in the sense, that getting to level 50 (or whatever max) in an XP sense, but more in the "getting access to crafting stations" sense. There is no NPC cities, so every city will have different crafting stations. Normally, there is a capital that has everything, in other games, but here, the city decides. So if you choose something that is not in the city, and your guild does not have a plkace there they have it, where can you train? Both processing and crafting. See, im not sure if I have gotten it all right. Do you guys know about some public stations people can use etc?

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Do you have a quote that says the City decides which Crafting Stations are available in the Node?

In addition to Crafting Stations available in Nodes, players can also Craft up to Journeyman tier items at Freeholds.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Do you have a quote that says the City decides which Crafting Stations are available in the Node?

In addition to Crafting Stations available in Nodes, players can also Craft up to Journeyman tier items at Freeholds.

Dont have a quote, but Steven said in a video, that the city decides what buildings to make in a city. Like a smith, carpenter or whatever.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    edited May 21

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JvsXn43Gak0&t=3025s

This is our way of ensuring that citizens want the thing that the mayor is asking them to do, or is spending resources on. So if you're a mayor and you're just like 'I'm going to build a bunch of this building that no one wants' then players aren't going to contribute to it and they're not going to get built.[22] – Chris Justo

Different mayors may destroy and construct different service buildings within their node. Destroying buildings has a node mandate cost and will require player buy-in via a vote.[1][12][5]

Materials contributed toward building a node building are lost if the mayor decides to scrap the project.[24]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Service_buildings
  • Options
    Otr wrote: »

This is our way of ensuring that citizens want the thing that the mayor is asking them to do, or is spending resources on. So if you're a mayor and you're just like 'I'm going to build a bunch of this building that no one wants' then players aren't going to contribute to it and they're not going to get built.[22] – Chris Justo

Different mayors may destroy and construct different service buildings within their node. Destroying buildings has a node mandate cost and will require player buy-in via a vote.[1][12][5]

Materials contributed toward building a node building are lost if the mayor decides to scrap the project.[24]

You could say then, that some professions will never come to fourish in that node. Why join a node where you cant use your craft. Therein lies my argument. How will you develope a node, if only smiths can use their craft in the node?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Saabynator wrote: »
    You could say then, that some professions will never come to fourish in that node.
    Yes, you could.

Keep in mind, the core design of Ashes is that people in a position of power are able to ruin the enjoyment of people not in positions of power - without ever directly interacting with them.

In Ashes, that isn't a feature, it is the core design.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    You could say then, that some professions will never come to fourish in that node.
    Yes, you could.

Keep in mind, the core design of Ashes is that people in a position of power are able to ruin the enjoyment of people not in positions of power - without ever directly interacting with them.

Thats fair enough. My point is though, will there be to little stations to work on for crafters? Even if the mayor wants all the crafting stations, he wont be able to, because there is not enough room to build them all. When you have to build apartments, churches and whatnot as well. My concern is, that the hardest part, will be traveling for hours per day, just to advance in crafting.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member

You could say then, that some professions will never come to fourish in that node. Why join a node where you cant use your craft. Therein lies my argument. How will you develope a node, if only smiths can use their craft in the node?

it was clarified. you can use stations from other nodes, but there are advantages to using them in the node you are a citizen of (like taxes, discounts, etc).
    Yes, you could.

Thats fair enough. My point is though, will there be to little stations to work on for crafters? Even if the mayor wants all the crafting stations, he wont be able to, because there is not enough room to build them all. When you have to build apartments, churches and whatnot as well. My concern is, that the hardest part, will be traveling for hours per day, just to advance in crafting.

use the stations at a different node?
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    This is potentially a work around - but it does double the number of nodes that you need to see maintained in order to maintain your in game activities as they are.
  • Options
    This is potentially a work around - but it does double the number of nodes that you need to see maintained in order to maintain your in game activities as they are.

Thats exactly my pointe. If you have to run hours a day to get to the stations you need, crafting is not going to be fun, its gonna be a chore. Thats my main concern, is that its going to be annoying to enjoy the crafting.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah. It seems to be another motivator to Siege Cities and Metros in order to gain access to the Artisan progression you need.
    I'm curious to see how well that works.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited May 22

what do you mean? every t6 node will be maintained by its citizens, regardless. if I'm going to another t6 node to craft, I don't need to contribute to that node. i just craft and gtfo. unless I'm not getting what you mean?

Thats exactly my pointe. If you have to run hours a day to get to the stations you need, crafting is not going to be fun, its gonna be a chore. Thats my main concern, is that its going to be annoying to enjoy the crafting.

you are thinking that you will be crafting 1000 items every day like you do in other games. it has been stated by steven that crafting will be a long process, and gearing up will take time. you will probably spend several days getting the stuff you need to craft just 1 piece of gear, or maybe a few weeks to craft a few pieces.

if we are talking about consumables and stuff like that, you will probably get the stuff to craft lots of them at the same time instead of crafting a lil bit then farming more.

it also wont take hours to go from node to node. apparently its gonna take 3 mins to go from one node to another one using your mount and 5 on foot. and it will take less than one hour to go from corner to corner in a continent.

i can see how you would need to travel a bit if you have a character with 2 crafting professions and their t6 stations are on the opposite sides of the map, but as dygz said, this is enough motivation to want to destroy and build nodes.

edit: you could also always pick your professions on your crafting characters based on the node you are a citizen of and proximity. if my node has weaponsmith and armorsmith stations imma pick those two in a character. and if the closest node has tailor and arcane engineering, my other alt will have those.

you can argue that then you are "forced" to min max your professions and organize, pick hem depending on the nodes, etc. but not really. you arent forced to do anything. just go and destroy some nodes then ;3
  • Options
    unless I'm not getting what you mean?
    As usual, you're not.

Ashes isn't a game where you can just show up in a node, craft an item and gtfo.

The entire design of the game is built to prevent that.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited May 23

Go back and re-read what Dygz and Depraved have said in the replies, here, @Saabynator ... because you aren't going to be visiting as many cities/nodes as you think you are for artisanship access:

1. Your character is limited to only three (3) artisan professions above Journeyman level.

This isn't FFXIV or ESO where you can master all the crafting disciplines. On the plus side, this means all your other trade skills (Journeyman and below) can be done in the city OR at a freehold within the node. Bottom line, you'll need to visit a maximum of three (3) nodes to engage in master/grandmaster activities on a character that's maxed out in crafting.

2. Cities will (more often than not) have enough crafting stations to go around.

Nodes aren't likely to ascend to Stage 5 (or Stage 6) because they have dumb mayors. ;) They are more likely to ascend because of their location, layout, building selection ... and the variety of on-hand crafting stations available to it's citizens and travellers. A successful node that only has blacksmithing tables and nothing else sounds like baloney to me. We'll see how it plays out in Alpha-2 and the Betas.

3. Sure, many players will employ alt characters to give themselves additional crafting mastery.

That design is intended by the developers ... as a reward for players who have the luxury of more contact time with the game. Those players with less time are encouraged to collaborate and interact towards a common goal a la Star Wars Galaxies.

• Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited May 23

Every node isnt meant to be able to do everything and that helps the economy and trade between nodes, lets say one node has 0 smiths but the neighboring node is a smithing base node there now trade opportunity between the nodes by importing smithed good via caravan from that node and selling or trading them for materials the smith node cant get for example.

if a node builds on smithies and say no drydocks for boat construction and ur profession is a boat builder maybe thats not a node for you to set up as home base
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member

you can only master one (or was it 2 i forget) craft so if your home node doesnt provide what u need you can always move to one that does limiting the running around if thats your concern.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    As usual, you're not.

Ashes isn't a game where you can just show up in a node, craft an item and gtfo.

how? steven even confirmed last qa you could...you just get advantages when you do it in the node you are a citizen of.
  • Options
    As usual, you're not.

how? steven even confirmed last qa you could...you just get advantages when you do it in the node you are a citizen of.

He confirmed you "could" craft in a node other than your own. I never said you couldn't.

I would point out the blatantly obvious thing you are missing, but it's more fun (for me) to see if you figure it out.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »

you can only master one (or was it 2 i forget) craft so if your home node doesnt provide what u need you can always move to one that does limiting the running around if thats your concern.

Well, what if your a part of a guild that lives there? Wouldnt it suck, that you dont have half your guild to defend a city, because you are actually at war with half your own guild in a siege?

There is a lot of awkward situations there can occur, when you cant hang out with friends/guilds/alliances in the same node. It can def be an annoyance, that really hits casual players hard.

If they want it to be that way, then thats a design, thats life. But things are subject to change.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    As usual, you're not.

He confirmed you "could" craft in a node other than your own. I never said you couldn't.

I would point out the blatantly obvious thing you are missing, but it's more fun (for me) to see if you figure it out.

its probably another one of your weird inconsistencies or assumptions. most likely an assumption, that's why I cant see it. xd
  • Options
    As usual, you're not.

Actually, it is. And the people in that node wants others to use their stations, because of taxes.
  • Options
    As usual, you're not.

Actually, it is. And the people in that node wants others to use their stations, because of taxes.

Yes.

Because everyone living in a given node has the same goals and motivations.

That said, the reason for what I said above has nothing at all to do with what you are saying.
  • Options
    As usual, you're not.

Yes.

Because everyone living in a given node has the same goals and motivations.

That said, the reason for what I said above has nothing at all to do with what you are saying.

Then why did you write it?