Content Suggestion: Add Content Similar to Clue Scrolls from RuneScape to Ashes

TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
So for people that have never played RuneScape or Old School RuneScape, Clue Scrolls are an item which you can acquire mostly through killing specific monsters in the game, there are other ways to acquire Clue Scrolls such as gathering skills like Woodcutting/Mining/Fishing or collecting Implings, but they predominantly come from killing monsters.

There are different tiers of Clue Scrolls; Beginner/Easy/Medium/Hard/Elite/Master. Of course, the higher the tier, the harder the Clue is to complete, whether it be because you need higher skill requirements to complete the task, or because you need to kill a tougher monster. Once you have completed a certain number of tasks you'll be given a 'Reward Casket' which when opened will give you a random selection of items. These items can be regular items which can be found elsewhere in the game, or unique items which, other than trading with other players, can only be acquired via completing Clue Scrolls.

Clue Scrolls are a relatively simple thing to add since it's quite literally just a regular drop on a monsters drop table, then it's just a matter of adding different "steps" for players to complete. One step could be "Talk to this NPC". Another could be "Dig at these coordinates". Or even something like "Kill this monster".

Almost all of the rewards you can obtain from Clues in OSRS are cosmetic with a few exceptions. For example, a "3rd Age Pickaxe" in OSRS is currently worth about 13 billion GP and is basically purely cosmetic as it has the same mining ability as a 1 million GP item. The max cash stack in OSRS is 2.147 billion for reference, and the "best" GP per hour content is probably around 10 million - 15 million which means 13 billion GP is an insane number, yet it's a very very rare item from Clue Scrolls.

Clue Scrolls are in my opinion one of the best bits of content in RuneScape that I'm shocked other MMOs haven't implemented. They're simple to add, help break up the monotony in regular gameplay, and gives players "completionist" content to strive for. I know Ashes is planning to have a form of "treasure hunting", but we know basically nada about it yet.

Here's a link to the OSRS Wiki which will describe it better than I have.
https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Treasure_Trails
nI17Ea4.png

Comments

• arkileoarkileo Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    As someone who has barely played OSRS, that sounds like a fun system, maybe it can be a component of treasure hunting.
  • DepravedDepraved Member
    so you basically get quests from killing mobs. i like farming mobs so I don't see why not xd.
  • GithalGithal Member
    Depraved wrote: »
    so you basically get quests from killing mobs. i like farming mobs so I don't see why not xd.

In AOC it wont be just "quests from killing mobs", since the world will be dynamic and depending on node level/weather season/ searver state (killed mobs of x kind/ gathered resources of x kind) - you may end up with different quests. Also you may unlock some friendly npc's by killing certain mobs - or make other friendly npc's hostile.

So i think the system already in place is great as it is.
  • CadacCadac Member
    I like the idea of getting varied things to do through gameplay, and not constantly running back to a quest hub.
  • DepravedDepraved Member
    Githal wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »

In AOC it wont be just "quests from killing mobs", since the world will be dynamic and depending on node level/weather season/ searver state (killed mobs of x kind/ gathered resources of x kind) - you may end up with different quests. Also you may unlock some friendly npc's by killing certain mobs - or make other friendly npc's hostile.

So i think the system already in place is great as it is.

but that's just quest from mobs.