Feature Suggestion: In-game Catalog / Map

First and foremost, I see Ashes of Creation as a potential game-changer in the world of MMORPGs, aiming to redefine the genre by empowering players to shape their destinies within an immersive and dynamic world. For me, playing an MMORPG isn't just about mindlessly progressing through quests; it's about embarking on a journey filled with rich history, meaningful interactions with the environment, and witnessing the impact of my choices unfold. Every player aspires to leave a lasting legacy that resonates throughout the virtual world.

In Ashes of Creation, I envision more than just a game; it's an epic adventure where each discovery, encounter, and point of interest contributes to a larger unfolding narrative. Imagine having an in-game 'adventurer's notebook' at your disposal, allowing you to meticulously catalog your journey across Verra. This interactive journal wouldn't just log your discoveries—it would enable you to mark locations on a map, label them with personal notes, and fully immerse yourself in exploration without relying on external resources like web-based maps.

Such a feature wouldn't just enhance immersion; it would foster a deep sense of discovery and personal investment in the world. It aligns perfectly with Ashes of Creation's promise to deliver a game where player actions have meaningful consequences, where exploration isn't simply about ticking off quests but about uncovering the secrets across Verra.

Sure, you could jot down notes in real life, but where's the fun in that when you can write your legend as it unfolds?

Comments

• love this idea especially if you can choose to share with who you wish...perhaps keeping automatic stats such as types of mobs killed/types and hardest strongest bosses takein down.Rare Treasure received,Perhaps Arch enemy/Rival players..Time spent in Hard Monster lairs..This type of thing...i really enjoy Titles you can receive For doing Harder tasks such as "Goblin Slayer";"Master crafter"Wyvern Herder "stuff like that.
  • Yes! You could use it as an encyclopedia as you discover the world. Use it to track goals, list drops from certain enemies, tactics for wars, etc. Anything. I think it would be so dope. Thank you!
  • I admit it sounds great at first.
    However I am not sure how this "Adventure Notebook" should look like.
    Am I asuming correct that it will be like a notepad. Such in Project Gorgon (MMORPG) but only you can share it with people?. Or is it more? Like a collection? interactive map, achivement list, summary of jumping puzzles you can aquire? .Will it show all possible puzzles you can achieve? And is it still necessary to have it in-game nowadays? you are communicating and organising raids, siege-wars via 3rd parties anyway.
    A interactive map is very intreging. Guild membes marking locations, positions and strategicing over the same map would be awesome.

I really do hope you wanna share more of this idea...
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sure, you could jot down notes in real life, but where's the fun in that when you can write your legend as it unfolds?
    Where is the fun in being in game using a word processor instead of playing?

While some aspects of what you are talking about sound all good, the form in which you present them doesn't come across to me as something that would work.

The aspect about maps that you are talking about - why would that be in a journal instead of just being able to pin locations on your in game map?

To me, that seems like the better implementation of this general idea. If there was a journal of some sort, you could potentially even link a location with an event.

However, how would a journal work? In a game like WoW, or FFXIV, or either EQ game, your in game activities are largely based around content the developers put in place. The "legend" of your character can be charted via specific in game activities like completing quests, killing bosses etc. These things could be automatically added to your journal.

In a game like Ashes though, your "legend" is more associated with how you interact with other people. The game can't automatically write that in journal form for you - you would need to write it yourself (hence my opening sentence).

I'm not at all against the ideas you have here, I just question if a journal is the best way to go about the end result.
  • I'm outlining this as I go along, so bear with me.

General Idea:
    Imagine the Notebook divided into sections, akin to a comprehensive compendium. Initially, core sections could cover achievements, completed quests, explored dungeons, undertaken activities, discovered animals, gathered materials, and player stats—essentially encapsulating every facet of your journey in Verra. These sections could build upon existing game systems while allowing players to create customized chapters. For instance, sections dedicated to material gathering might detail yield rates, profit margins, and specific locations, while another section could focus on character builds, tracking stats and planned upgrades. Integrated maps could bolster strategic planning for sieges or defensive maneuvers, facilitating note-taking and planning.

I envision an integration with the game’s existing quest and recipe tracking systems, though this may be challenging to implement at this stage of development.

As a supplementary idea, players could craft and sell their own in-game books and guides. For instance, a meticulously detailed dungeon guide could be authored and sold, although this idea faces competition from YouTube video guides.

The Map:
    Naturally, the notebook would feature an integrated map. Depending on the developers' approach, players could link notes directly to map waypoints or create customizable markers. Persistent custom markers are rare in MMOs, so an alternative could be a hand-drawn map page within the notebook. This feature would allow players to link custom markers to various notebook pages, facilitating navigation between the notebook map and the in-game environment.

Purpose:
    While third-party applications exist, integrating such features directly into Ashes of Creation would heighten immersion and reduce distractions. It would foster a profound sense of accomplishment among players who meticulously explore every corner of the expansive world. Sharing information could emerge as a compelling aspect, such as selling dungeon layout intel or strategic insights from uncharted territories. While existing achievement systems may remain separate, dedicated notebook pages could enhance the experience with detailed records of accomplishments, enemy weaknesses, boss strategies, and other narrative elements.

I want to provide players with expanded opportunities to excel and interact with each other. Organizational skills are invaluable in MMORPGs, especially for content creators who share guides and perspectives on platforms like YouTube.

Writing Your Legend:
    Documenting every detail in your journal contributes to your personal narrative. It functions as a singular record of your journey, offering both practical information and milestones of progress. While the game tracks story arc completions, a comprehensive journal could chronicle everything within these arcs—materials gathered, encountered enemies, and more. Integrating such a system alongside existing features would significantly enrich the player's experience.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Perhaps relevant to this discussion: The map will only be revealed as we explore it, unexplored areas will be in a fog. So, our maps will kind of serve as a bit of a journal.

Wiki quote: "The world of Verra features an in-game viewable world map. This map is not randomly generated, and begins covered in a fog of war.[4] Players will not be able to see the world until they have explored it or gathered information about it. The world is also full of imperfect information, which will require the player to act on it for verification.[5]"
  • tautau wrote: »
    Perhaps relevant to this discussion: The map will only be revealed as we explore it, unexplored areas will be in a fog. So, our maps will kind of serve as a bit of a journal.

Wiki quote: "The world of Verra features an in-game viewable world map. This map is not randomly generated, and begins covered in a fog of war.[4] Players will not be able to see the world until they have explored it or gathered information about it. The world is also full of imperfect information, which will require the player to act on it for verification.[5]"

Yea this will obviously be taken in account with this barebones suggestion of mine.