Hardware question for Alpha 1 testers

jakanthajakantha Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
Hi all,
I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my 2017 Kickstarter pack to get Alpha 2 access.
The question I am asking is how stressful was the game on your GPUS? I have been thinking of upgrading from a 3 year old RX 6700XT to a 7800XT. Do you think it warrants the upgrade or will I have no issues?

For reference in case I am asked:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB Ram

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    What you have will run the game just fine.

Upgrading will allow you to set the graphics higher, or run in a higher resolution.

Your decision if that is worth it or not.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited July 15
    Hi friend!

You might find this support page helpful: https://support.ashesofcreation.com/hc/en-us/articles/26658550834835-What-are-the-minimum-and-recommend-computer-specifications-for-Alpha-Two

Because the game is in development, these specs may change over time. However, these are the most up-to-date specs that we have published <3
    community_management.gif
    @Vaknar

You guys should add in appropriate AMD GPU's to that list.

While they only have a small market share, they are currently the better option in terms of performance per dollar.

Unless of course you guys have some sort of deal with NVidia that prevents you from adding that in.
  • TexasTexas Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    @Vaknar

While they only have a small market share, they are currently the better option in terms of performance per dollar.

Unless of course you guys have some sort of deal with NVidia that prevents you from adding that in.
    AMD equivalents would be:
    Minimum: Vega 64
    Recommended: RX 6750 XT
  • edited July 16
    Quick question because I'm awful at PC specs, it feels like a different language to me to understand lol. Most of my games are on console these days. But I bought a CyberPowerPC in 2021 for like $1500 just to play GW2 on. Specs below.
    • AMD Ryzen 7 3000 Series
    • Total Storage Capacity - 1500 gigabytes
    • System Memory (RAM) - 16 gigabytes
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
    I am planning to buy a completely new PC for the full game and launch of Ashes. But for A2, can I run with specs above in the meantime or is there anything from list above (or all?) that I need to switch out?
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • KingDDDKingDDD Member
    Quick question because I'm awful at PC specs. Most of my games are on console these days. But I bought a CyberPowerPC in 2021 to play GW2 on. Specs below.
    I am planning to buy a completely new PC for the full game and launch of Ashes. But for A2, can I run with specs above or is there anything from list above (or all?) that I need to switch out?

It's gonna be close, probably avg 20-30 fps with low settings and not a lot of people. Anything with 20+ people and it won't be a great experience.
  • KingDDD wrote: »
    Quick question because I'm awful at PC specs. Most of my games are on console these days. But I bought a CyberPowerPC in 2021 to play GW2 on. Specs below.
    I am planning to buy a completely new PC for the full game and launch of Ashes. But for A2, can I run with specs above or is there anything from list above (or all?) that I need to switch out?

It's gonna be close, probably avg 20-30 fps with low settings and not a lot of people. Anything with 20+ people and it won't be a great experience.

Gotcha! Is all 4 specs above complete trash? Or is there a specific one you'd suggest to swap out?
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited July 16
    KingDDD wrote: »

Gotcha! Is all 4 specs above complete trash? Or is there a specific one you'd suggest to swap out?

Assuming your PC has an SSD then your GPU is really the only thing holding you back for this game. 1660 Super is basically the same performance-wise as the 1070 (which is the listed GPU for minimum requirements)
  • KingDDDKingDDD Member

Depends on on what specific CPU you have, but id wager it's a # variant of the 3600. Your motherboard is am4 so you could socket in a 5700x3d or 5800x3d but your GPU and ram also need to be upgraded. Also depending on what power supply you have, it may also need upgrading but that's dependent on the brand model and wattage.

The unfortunate thing about the prebuilts is they give you yesterday's mid to low tier tech or overcharge you.
    edited July 16

Depends on on what specific CPU you have, but id wager it's a # variant of the 3600. Your motherboard is am4 so you could socket in a 5700x3d or 5800x3d but your GPU and ram also need to be upgraded. Also depending on what power supply you have, it may also need upgrading but that's dependent on the brand model and wattage.

The unfortunate thing about the prebuilts is they give you yesterday's mid to low tier tech or overcharge you.

It's a Ryzen 7 CPU so at worst a 3700X. 16GB RAM should be more than fine too, it's specifically what Intrepid recommends. Unless Alpha 2 is just horrendously unoptimized there is no real reason to upgrade either of those components right now.
  • KingDDDKingDDD Member
    edited July 16

It's a Ryzen 7 CPU so at worst a 3700X. 16GB RAM should be more than fine too, it's specifically what Intrepid recommends. Unless Alpha 2 is just horrendously unoptimized there is no real reason to upgrade either of those components right now.

I didn't see the 7, reading is hard.

As for the ram I've seen some significant performance increases in MMOs when going from 16 to 32. Were those ashes, no. But it did help.

The main problem with the system linked is as the game scales it's gonna become unplayable. While that system may be fine for small ball content, world bosses, raids, large scale pvp, etc will be a terrible experience. Given it's a 3700 of some kind, a GPU upgrade is probably the best bang for the money, but it's almost not worth even doing due to the whole system being old.
  • KingDDD wrote: »

I didn't see the 7, reading is hard.

As for the ram I've seen some significant performance increases in MMOs when going from 16 to 32. Were those ashes, no. But it did help.

The main problem with the system linked is as the game scales it's gonna become unplayable. While that system may be fine for small ball content, world bosses, raids, large scale pvp, etc will be a terrible experience. Given it's a 3700 of some kind, a GPU upgrade is probably the best bang for the money, but it's almost not worth even doing due to the whole system being old.

I'd just follow Intrepid's guidelines for now, no reason to build an entirely new system when according to the posted requirements, the only thing that falls short is the GPU. Picking up something cheap like an RX 7600 should provide a good enough experience for the alpha, especially if they're only playing at 1080p
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited July 16
    Quick question because I'm awful at PC specs, it feels like a different language to me to understand lol. Most of my games are on console these days. But I bought a CyberPowerPC in 2021 for like $1500 just to play GW2 on. Specs below.
    I am planning to buy a completely new PC for the full game and launch of Ashes. But for A2, can I run with specs above in the meantime or is there anything from list above (or all?) that I need to switch out?

I would buy a SSD drive there realy cheap now to put atleast ur games on atleast.
    and maybe looking into new graphics card when u can afford one idealy a RTX3070 or better not sure what AMD equivelent would be
    edited July 16
    Veeshan wrote: »

I would buy a SSD drive there realy cheap now to put atleast ur games on atleast.
    and maybe looking into new graphics card when u can afford one idealy a RTX3070 or better not sure what AMD equivelent would be

RX 6750XT would be a good equivalent. I would expect that a CyberPower PC from 2021 would have at least an SSD for an OS drive, they actually tend to use pretty good components and provide a decent value as far as pre-builts go.

Although as far as the GPU is concerned if Lumen can't be disabled then you might be looking at an RX 6800 as an equivalent since RT performance is a lot better on Nvidia's GPUs, even when hardware accelerated RT isn't enabled for Lumen.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 16
    I'm looking to upgrade but I've eliminated Radeon as an option because there's no way I'm getting a video card that's over a foot long into my case. :D

ETA: Never mind, I found a 6750 XT that's under 10", sweet.

Hhak63P.png
  • Thank you @patrick68794 @Veeshan and @KingDDD . I just looked at the specs again, yes it has SSD. But thank you, this info was helpful!
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • ReLamasReLamas Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Congratulations on upgrading your Kickstarter pack to get Alpha 2 access! It's always exciting to get closer to experiencing Ashes of Creation firsthand.

Regarding your GPU question, while I don't have the exact benchmarks for Ashes of Creation during Alpha 2, I can share some general insights. Your current setup with the RX 6700XT and Ryzen 9 3900X, along with 32GB of RAM, is quite solid and should handle the game reasonably well, especially if you’re aiming for 1080p or even 1440p gaming.

However, if you're looking for a smoother experience, particularly at higher resolutions like 4K, or if you want to future-proof your system a bit more, upgrading to a 7800XT could be a good investment. The newer GPU will likely offer better performance, improved power efficiency, and support for the latest features, which can enhance your overall gaming experience not just in Ashes of Creation, but in other demanding titles as well.

Ultimately, it comes down to your personal preferences and budget. If you’re aiming for higher settings and frame rates, or if you’re noticing performance dips with your current setup, the upgrade might be worthwhile. Otherwise, your current GPU should still provide a solid experience.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your time in Alpha 2!
    c3xme7oecjh8.png
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I ordered my new Radeon card, hooray Prime Day deals!

Hhak63P.png
  • MassMass Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    you will be fine
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Found a lost comment so I moved it into this thread (which I think was the intended one <3)
    community_management.gif
    Texas wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    @Vaknar

AMD equivalents would be:
    Minimum: Vega 64
    Recommended: RX 6750 XT

Yeah, that seems about right - but it should be listed with the specs as opposed to being something people need to search up.

It's more an issue for closer to launch - and is also reliant on NVidia not having a deal with Ashes to specifically not list non-NVidia GPU's (a disturbingly common thing), but it is still something i'd like to see addressed with the official specs.
  • jakanthajakantha Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Well i scratched the itch anyway and upgraded CPU to a 5800x3d and put it with a 7900XT so no matter what the A2 throws at us I will see it in all its glory i hope!
  • jakantha wrote: »
    Well i scratched the itch anyway and upgraded CPU to a 5800x3d and put it with a 7900XT so no matter what the A2 throws at us I will see it in all its glory i hope!

Should be good for 1440p at least, since they're using Lumen 4K might be a bit rough for anyone not using a high end Nvidia GPU