Reactions to messages

LamperougLamperoug Member
edited July 22 in General Discussion
I would like to have the ability to leave more than just a "like". It would also be useful to have the option to leave negative feedback. This would help provide more detailed feedback and improve the overall quality of discussions on the forum.

<3 / :'( / :/ / :s

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lamperoug wrote: »
    I would like to have the ability to leave more than just a "like". It would also be useful to have the option to leave negative feedback. This would help provide more detailed feedback and improve the overall quality of discussions on the forum.

More detailed than a post of your negative feedback?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• I personally dislike this suggestion, because it would lead to people leaving negative feedback about posts.
    0vv4jvjlowe9.gif
  • DripyulaDripyula Member
    The ability to leave negative feedback exists.
    It does not need to be visible right under each post though.
    m3h60maohz8f.jpg
  • edited July 22
    No. We want conversation, not just a thumbs down. "It would also be useful to have the option to leave negative feedback." That's what the comment field is for. If you dislike anything, you leave constructive criticism to why you disagree or dislike something. Which is what I am doing right now about this idea. If we just had the opposite of a Like button, I would just press thumbs down and go to next thread without creating more conversation around your topic.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • TexasTexas Member
    👎
  • No. We want conversation, not just a thumbs down. "It would also be useful to have the option to leave negative feedback." That's what the comment field is for. If you dislike anything, you leave constructive criticism to why you disagree or dislike something. Which is what I am doing right now about this idea. If we just had the opposite of a Like button, I would just press thumbs down and go to next thread without creating more conversation around your topic.

structurally
  • Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited July 22
    Azherae wrote: »

To add to this great answer:

Leaving a post for negative feedback (usually) adds suggestions for constructive improvement … not just a thumbs down “cause reasons”.
  • LamperougLamperoug Member
    edited July 22

To add to this great answer:

Leaving a post for negative feedback (usually) adds suggestions for constructive improvement … not just a thumbs down “cause reasons”.

My post is not solely based on negative feedback. Although people read my post and leave similar reviews, they might be constructive, but some posts don't deserve a separate response. And if you don't like a particular response, it seems you need to write about that too. Is it necessary to write only something constructive, which is strange? After all, through a comment, you express your position. I doubt people are always constructive regarding their opinions.

And if many don't understand the purpose of this, then why is the "like" function needed? It's not just about negative feedback. Although many, if not most, objective commentators have only noticed this. It was also about the possibility of adding a "love it" reaction or a funny reaction to make the forum more lively.
  • Lamperoug wrote: »
    Is it necessary to write only something constructive?
    Yes.
  • Negative "reacts" are tantamount to contradiction. They offer no specific contrary opinions, or foundations for those opinions, and do very little to convince anyone that the post you're reacting to has any serious issues worth considering. It's the conversational equivalent of small-talk. It's worthless. Learn to express your thoughts in a clear and concise manner, and your opinions might actually begin to matter to some people.
  • LamperougLamperoug Member
    edited July 22
    Lamperoug wrote: »
    Is it necessary to write only something constructive?
    Yes.

www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-experience/201712/psychological-perspective-human-destructiveness
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I am of the opinion that the like button should be removed, as even that removes aspects of discussion.

Simple feedback along the lines of the like button and what the OP is asking for serve no practical purpose if they are not feeding an algorithm.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that the like button should be removed, as even that removes aspects of discussion.

Simple feedback along the lines of the like button and what the OP is asking for serve no practical purpose if they are not feeding an algorithm.

I dunno, I partially agree with you, but when people are trying to come to a consensus on something, tell how the community feels about something one way or another, do you want every person who would ordinarily like your comment to instead quote/comment, "Agreed," multiple times? Cause I feel like that would get old fast. When you agree with someone's comment by liking it, you also agree with the logic that led to the conclusion. If you don't comment yourself instead, you don't have any better logic to offer than what has been already offered.

However, when you disagree with something that's already been said, it's not enough to just "dislike" it. Sure, knowing that people disagree with something is important, but when there's a contradictory viewpoint, it needs to have an equal amount of logical support behind it as the original position. Agreeing with something by "liking" it inherently agrees with the logic. Disagreeing with something by "disliking" it doesn't provide a specific grievance or offer any alternative logic/experience/conclusion.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sengarden wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »

I dunno, I partially agree with you, but when people are trying to come to a consensus on something, tell how the community feels about something one way or another, do you want every person who would ordinarily like your comment to instead quote/comment, "Agreed," multiple times? Cause I feel like that would get old fast. When you agree with someone's comment by liking it, you also agree with the logic that led to the conclusion. If you don't comment yourself instead, you don't have any better logic to offer than what has been already offered.

However, when you disagree with something that's already been said, it's not enough to just "dislike" it. Sure, knowing that people disagree with something is important, but when there's a contradictory viewpoint, it needs to have an equal amount of logical support behind it as the original position. Agreeing with something by "liking" it inherently agrees with the logic. Disagreeing with something by "disliking" it doesn't provide a specific grievance or offer any alternative logic/experience/conclusion.

We also have a pretty clear tendency right now, where the person who disagrees with the post the most and has reasoning is the likely one to respond (whereas others just Like) and then others can just 'Like' the disagreeing post and move on.

Not always the best for longer term discussion, but I know I prefer to have the 'Like' to just do this with sometimes.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I personally dislike this suggestion, because it would lead to people leaving negative feedback about posts.
    0vv4jvjlowe9.gif

Gifs are the superior form of forum communication. imq5g0180yqm.gif
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I dunno, I partially agree with you, but when people are trying to come to a consensus on something, tell how the community feels about something one way or another, do you want every person who would ordinarily like your comment to instead quote/comment
    Yes.

The like button should never be used as a means of voting.
  • OtrOtr Member
    Like and dislike is not enough. It should work like green purple and red reaction.
    Bounty hunters we have. Imagine them at work.
    Mental health bar is missing though.
  • SengardenSengarden Member
    edited July 23
    We also have a pretty clear tendency right now, where the person who disagrees with the post the most and has reasoning is the likely one to respond (whereas others just Like) and then others can just 'Like' the disagreeing post and move on.

Not always the best for longer term discussion, but I know I prefer to have the 'Like' to just do this with sometimes.

A-ha, yeah, I could see that getting pretty old. "Your argument is close enough to mine, and not different enough for me to bother commenting about the different way in which I mostly agree with you." Honestly though, if people are going to like and walk away in that case, I don't think taking away the like will make them comment in support. They're more just likely to agree and then walk away, or disagree and comment. So you end up with the same tendency you had before, but without the context of 10 people liking the original post and only 1 or 2 people liking the comment featuring a contradictory opinion.

People just don't like reading or writing these days. Trying to communicate with people online outside of a forum environment (and not everyone here is equally experienced with forum environments) is like trying to solve world hunger by passing post it notes back and forth. It's hard enough getting a stranger to read more than three sentences without the writer being a member of their inner circle or someone of general renown. Getting them to write out their complex opinions that're mostly similar to someone else's that've already been posted and how they differ slightly in a nuanced enough form for others to clearly understand those differences is a bit much to expect if we just take post likes away.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    No thanks. It’s a discussion forum - you know, for discussing. Like and dislike buttons ruin the skill to constructively disagree without devolving into insecure screed.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • P0GG0P0GG0 Member
    Gen Z in a nutshell.
  • GithalGithal Member
    I have always hated forums where there are negative reactions. Like if you want to disagree with me, say "WHY?". Without providing your arguments why you disagree with particular post wont lead to any meaningful conversation.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Some people just want to watch the world burn 😔
  • OtrOtr Member
    Chicago wrote: »
    Some people just want to watch the world burn 😔

Even youtubers, some small ones try to get attention predicting that games will fail.